Pirates of the Caribbean 2017 refurbishment (EEP)

Started by msRavenswood, July 28, 2016, 08:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msRavenswood

Most of us know that Pirates of the Caribbean has been scheduled to close for a big renovation as part of the Experience Enhancement Plan. Yesterday some interesting rumours appeared on a DLP Facebook fan page (Wonderful Disneyland).

So, brace yourselves and take everything with a big pinch of salt, because Captain Jack won't be the only big addition to the ride.

First of all, it's been revealed that the ride will close its doors on 9 January 2017 to reopen mid July. When it reopens, the following surprises await us:

- the Black Pearl will take shape on a new screen in the first scenes of the attraction where the moon is currently located. Various special effects such as mist will be added to the scene.

- the lift will receive projection mapping (bats, shadows of pirates, among other things...) for greater immersion.

- Captain Barbossa will be projected on a water screen  just before the first descent leading to the attack of the fort.

- 2 last generation Audio-Animatronics of the infamous Jack Sparrow will arrive, one of which with a special effect successfully tested in Shanghai Disneyland.

- the swinging pirate will be permanently removed and be replaced by a screen / projection mapping on the entire length of the scene that represents an attack by pirates.

- the last scene before the caves will receive a projection mapping enhancing the effect of fire. In addition, a second water screen will be installed just before the 2nd descent.

- all existing Audio-Animatronics will be replaced or completely refurbished and Davy Jones will be added to the entrance of the caves replacing the skeleton at the helm.

- the sirens seen in the 4th movie will also be added in the form of projections in the waters of the caves.

- the treasure scene  will be enhanced by projection mapping recreating the glitter of the spoils.

- music from the movies will be added to the ride.

- the boats will be refurbished and have security bars added, there will be renovation of some scenery, etc...

- the facade of the fort will be partially renovated and a new entrance sign will be installed mentioning the presence of Jack Sparrow.

- the queue outside will be repaved and various props will be added to strengthen the immersion.

- the Blue Lagoon restaurant will be renovated as well. A new menu will be introduced and new furniture will be added.

- finally, a new Jack Sparrow themed photolocation will arrive in a new area to the left of the Blue Lagoon.

So, what are your thoughts? Call me a purist, but as much as I like new technology being added to breathe new life to old rides, I'm not too keen on seeing so many elements from the movies being introduced. The Paris version of Pirates was the last one to keep the original design of the ride as envisioned by Walt Disney and his imagineers, so I am kinda sad that we're saying goodbye to it! Of course, it's been proved many times already that nowadays Disney Parks are more interested in pleasing casual visitors instead of old romantic fools such as myself.

CaptainKennySparrow

Ive been on the one in florida after the refurb and it is fantastic! It becomes a longer ride as well! I think its good Paris are doing it because it also gets the younger generation into the POTC saga. Also with the new film Dead Men Tell No Tales coming out next May the park needs to bring the ride up to date. I have friends who work as CM's in Paris , even the guy that plays Jack Sparrow there cant wait for it because now a days so many young kids dont know who jack sparrow is funnily enough!
Take what you can....give nothing back.

stormflm595

Quote from: msRavenswood on July 28, 2016, 08:35:15 AM
Most of us know that Pirates of the Caribbean has been scheduled to close for a big renovation as part of the Experience Enhancement Plan. Yesterday some interesting rumours appeared on a DLP Facebook fan page (Wonderful Disneyland).

So, brace yourselves and take everything with a big pinch of salt, because Captain Jack won't be the only big addition to the ride.

First of all, it's been revealed that the ride will close its doors on 9 January 2017 to reopen mid July. When it reopens, the following surprises await us:

- the Black Pearl will take shape on a new screen in the first scenes of the attraction where the moon is currently located. Various special effects such as mist will be added to the scene.

- the lift will receive projection mapping (bats, shadows of pirates, among other things...) for greater immersion.

- Captain Barbossa will be projected on a water screen  just before the first descent leading to the attack of the fort.

- 2 last generation Audio-Animatronics of the infamous Jack Sparrow will arrive, one of which with a special effect successfully tested in Shanghai Disneyland.

- the swinging pirate will be permanently removed and be replaced by a screen / projection mapping on the entire length of the scene that represents an attack by pirates.

- the last scene before the caves will receive a projection mapping enhancing the effect of fire. In addition, a second water screen will be installed just before the 2nd descent.

- all existing Audio-Animatronics will be replaced or completely refurbished and Davy Jones will be added to the entrance of the caves replacing the skeleton at the helm.

- the sirens seen in the 4th movie will also be added in the form of projections in the waters of the caves.

- the treasure scene  will be enhanced by projection mapping recreating the glitter of the spoils.

- music from the movies will be added to the ride.

- the boats will be refurbished and have security bars added, there will be renovation of some scenery, etc...

- the facade of the fort will be partially renovated and a new entrance sign will be installed mentioning the presence of Jack Sparrow.

- the queue outside will be repaved and various props will be added to strengthen the immersion.

- the Blue Lagoon restaurant will be renovated as well. A new menu will be introduced and new furniture will be added.

- finally, a new Jack Sparrow themed photolocation will arrive in a new area to the left of the Blue Lagoon.

So, what are your thoughts? Call me a purist, but as much as I like new technology being added to breathe new life to old rides, I'm not too keen on seeing so many elements from the movies being introduced. The Paris version of Pirates was the last one to keep the original design of the ride as envisioned by Walt Disney and his imagineers, so I am kinda sad that we're saying goodbye to it! Of course, it's been proved many times already that nowadays Disney Parks are more interested in pleasing casual visitors instead of old romantic fools such as myself.

I do think POTC currently looks a little outdated so if these refurbishments are true, then I welcome them. I think it's high time Paris rivalled International Disney Parks, particularly the American ones. Fingers crossed that they do keep the classic feel and it doesn't become too much like Shanghai's (super cool but not classic at all) but overall I'm glad for the changes :D
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

A&S&O

At its best, the Paris version was much better than California or Florida - even after their "upgrades". Unfortunately it had been badly maintained and, as with so many rides in Paris, we used to play the "spot what's not working" game.

These rumours seem to suggest that they're replacing good (but often not working) effects with projected films, which sounds a bit of a cop out.

I would rather they just fix what wasn't working.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

bad-pink-tink

OMG, OMG, SQUEEEEEEELLLLLLL

this sounds AMAZING. I so cant wait for all the upgrades, and my Captain Jack will finally be in Paris  :D :D

I knew it would be closed for at least 6 months, so Im planning my next visit for 2018, so that when I go it will defiantly be open.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

MickeyAteMyCap

DisneyGagaChick

Sounds good!

Quote from: msRavenswood on July 28, 2016, 08:35:15 AM

Are you talking about where you see the skeleton that transforms into Captain Jack Sparrow?

msRavenswood

That's the one they're most probably referring to.

Rocketeer

I'm with you Ms Ravenswood, I prefer to keep the original attraction. I don't mind the inclusion of some projection mapping, but I don't care for more 'screenz', to me it makes it feel more like watching video game than being on a traditional dark ride.

As for the addition of Cap'n Jack, I'm on the fence, I liked the films, but I don't want the whole attraction coverted to a "ride of the film" (which is how Shanghai's comes across). It should rather be, an attraction that a film was based on.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

msRavenswood

Disney Matt

I'm not really sure where I stand on this. I do love Pirates at DLP! But a lot of the time things don't tend to work as someone stated above me. It definitely needs refurbished but whether adding screens is the right move...well only time will tell!
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

Rocketeer

Trying to stay on the positive side, if these additions do come to pass, it will make our version of the attraction even more unique. It does sound like it will be a sort of hybrid between the updated US versions (with the film characters) and also bringing in elements of the Shanghai attraction.

Although I'm still on the fence about it. I guess its one way to look at it....

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Sulley's Arms

My view of the whole POTC upgrade topic has always been that the Paris ride should be left alone, as it's now the last version on the planet that reflects Walt's original design. And that's sacred.

However!

I can't deny that the US versions, and especially now the Shanghai version, take it beyond anything that Paris can hope to achieve.  In simple terms, they make our version look more than a little poor!

It's going to happen, so let's all just get on board (no pun intended) and embrace the change!!
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

fairymom

I think it sounds brilliant!
My kids and I are huge fans of the movies and I can understand the Jack CM liking the changes - when we were there a few weeks ago he was wandering around and no one was even looking at him until we started squealing and squawking and begging for photos.
He sighed and rolled his eyes and said "be quick"  ;D

The Jack CM is soooo good and very overlooked at present.

msRavenswood

Don't get me wrong, I love Johnny Depp, the POTC movies are favourites in our home and we watch them quite frequently and from watching online videos I was amazed by the new Pirates ride in Shanghai, but their ride was primarily inspired by the movies with some details added to pay homage to the original ride, whereas the other four versions (Anaheim, Orlando, Tokyo & Paris) were the ones that inspired the movies.
Ideally, they should have kept the rides as they were and have a seperate attraction inspired by the movies. Of course this would cost them more money than just incorporating elements from the movies into the existing rides.

Anyway, we'll just have to way and see. As I said in my original post all these are rumours, not sure which ones will actually happen and what the ride will look like after the refurbishment.