The least scary, gentlest of gentle rides and attractions

Started by Poohbearfan, May 19, 2016, 06:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poohbearfan

Hello, I am beginning to wonder if our 3.5 year old is going to be overwhelmed by everything. I have started showing YouTube clips but the response hasn't been marvellous. Too loud or too dark.
Where in the park would I be best to introduce him gently?

disneymagic006

1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

littlebitofpixiedust

Id start in fantasyland in the main park all child friendly take rides, like posted above storybook boat ride is very calm and slow then you've got the tea cups, dumbo, Pinocchio and Snow White ride (both quite dark rides some children don't like though) carousel, small world and Peter Pans flight- this was in refurb so not sure if will be open on your dates.

In discovery land buzz light year later blast is also a good choice, autopia (little cars they can drive with an adult) and orbitron.

I think starting with these be your best choice. Also don't forget there's lots of shows over in the studios park. The parade in main park usually around 5pm

mickeyspal

I would start in storybook, if he is scared when watching the dark rides on youtube then i would slowly introduce him to Snow White, Pinnochio etc.in fantasyland, as they can be a bit scary for young children. Maybe once he sees other children in the queue for rides he might want to go on them, you can always try and once inside the rides if he is scared he can be taken outside before boarding the ride.
good luck, you'll still have fun whether on rides or not. :)
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

samuelvictor

Yeah, I think the storybook boats are the best first option, then its a small world, maybe walking round the maze, exploring the castle, going for a ride on the train round the whole park... of course, the Carousel, dumbos, teacups and Slinky Dog are good fun, and if they are ok with those, you can try Orbitron, Flying Carpets and Cars Race Rally.

I can't recomend Disney Junior and Stitch Live enough, they would be perfect and completely magical for a child of that age :)

"Helping" you to steer the car in Autopia might be good (or are there height restrictions?). Buzz Lightyear is very colourful and interactive with the gun to shoot and controling the cart, though it is quite noisy and dark I think they might be distracted by having fun playing with the gun and shooting at the toys...

I can imagine that for a young child, just running around exploring areas such as adventure isle, frontierland, the agrabah area and the treehouse would be very fun :)

Personally, I'd say that Snow White and Pinnochio have some "scary" scenes that I imagine might freak out a sensitive little one... Peter Pan has less scary imagery, but it can feel as if you are "flying" quite high... but definitely do all the above to acclimatise and realise that they are in a fun and safe environment before trying any of them, I'd say.

If you think they've gotten a little braver, Casey Junior would be a good was to test the water as a "kiddy" coaster around the familiar scenery from the storyboats. Its quite fast though.

One warning - despite the cute pictures and characters, the Finding Nemo ride would NOT be a good idea! ;) lol

Ohana

I can definitely vouch for storybook too.. Le Pays des Contes de Fées. Definitely the most underrated ride in the whole park.
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

billy

if he is as Disney Junior fan then def go to the studios and see the Disney Jr show it is fantastic and really interactive.
Also the flying carpets in the studios are great.
If he doesnt like dark rides i would def stay away from Pinochoccio.
In fantasy land you have the big carosel and Mickey's House.
Take the first day gentley and see how he gets on is my advice but the disney jr show is brill we saw it twice!!!

Poohbearfan

Thanks everyone. The story book boat one looks ideal as a starter as it is outside. I am hoping to build up gradually.

How about Main Street Vehicles? Is it usually a horse drawn tram or other things?

Zee79

The horse drawn transport can sometimes depends on weather etc but I've seen it out recently. There are motor vehicles that you can hop on as well.

dlpowl

If you've not had a great response to the videos, I wouldn't show him any more personally.  Kids can get a false impression from videos and build things up in their minds to be a certain way.  I'd just stay relaxed about it, maybe not talk about it very much, so he doesn't feel a pressure that he HAS to be excited.  I'd start in fantasyland as others have suggested and let him choose the rides he wants to go on.  I honestly can't imagine him not loving it.  My 3 kids all have very different personalities and have different likes and dislikes but they all LOVE Disneyland!  Hope you have a great time.

Thaliel

Quote from: samuelvictor on May 19, 2016, 09:21:37 AM

"Helping" you to steer the car in Autopia might be good (or are there height restrictions?).

there is, I think you need to be at least, uh...1,20m , anyone correct me if I'm wrong
<-Plz click

Lavi

My smallest was almost 3 when we visited; she enjoyed a lot Ratatouille, slinky dog, Animagique, Disney junior live from the Studios and all the mentioned rides frun the main park.