Walt Disney Studios Land Surveys (Expansion Speculation)

Started by mrpiggywinkles52, April 05, 2016, 02:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpiggywinkles52

So from ED92 on Twitter we know ground surveys were taking place Yesterday behind the Walt Disney Studios Park, here is the tweet, attached to it are photos of the general area that was being surveyed.

https://twitter.com/ED92live/status/717038331234754561

A quick google search says this sort of stuff is usually done to land before it is built upon and whilst it doesn't mean that land will be used any time soon it does mean Disney are likely laying out some sort of long term plan for the Walt Disney Studios park, just like they did with Disney's California adventure. Their plan for that park already brought them Buena Vista Street, Cars land, a revamped Paradise Pier with Midway mania, new rides and arguably a Bug's land if you count that as part of the plan.

So what do you all think would go on this land? personally I'm not convinced it'll be Marvel, I think Marvel is bound for the backlot area and it would fit better with that section of the park since it is a live action movie. This is just behind Toy Story Playland and as such I think it will be another area themed around animation, likely Pixar animation. Part of me doubts that it would be Cars Land either since Disney in recent years dislike duplicating rides and lands. That said Cars land is a possibility but we already have the ride in Toon Studio, I think it would be a movie with a lot of staying power, Monsters Inc springs to mind, Nemo is represented in Toon Studio already and the Incredibles is far too similar to our world nevermind Marvel land would eclipse it. Personally I'm not sure what it could be although I might throw out a wild prediction that it'd be a Toontown esque area.

But what do you all think, what would be built on that land in WDSP?

ChipandDale99

Great to see they are planning something. . It looks like the land they are surveying is a bit far out so maybe it will be the staff and "backstage" area that is currently next to toysrory play land. Then they might use that space as another section of the studios.
I agree with you about what it should be. I don't think a marvel land will be good. I think they should continue down the route they have been doing currently. I really like the toy story play land and ratatouille ride so I hope it's like that again (in that the theming is really good)

MickeyAteMyCap

I reckon they'll expand to create room for a new ride in time for summer 2017. Possibly Toy Story Mania given that was supposed to be happening at one point before it was seemingly cancelled.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: ChipandDale99 on April 05, 2016, 07:00:50 PM
Great to see they are planning something. . It looks like the land they are surveying is a bit far out so maybe it will be the staff and "backstage" area that is currently next to toysrory play land. Then they might use that space as another section of the studios.
I agree with you about what it should be. I don't think a marvel land will be good. I think they should continue down the route they have been doing currently. I really like the toy story play land and ratatouille ride so I hope it's like that again (in that the theming is really good)

Possibly moving some of that backstage stuff that is near the backlot to allow for expansion in that area for a Marvel Studio land or whatever. I think it is either that or they are doing another Pixar land. I think a Marvel land would be a great fit but only if done well on a decent budget and personally I think it should use the land we've already got in the Backlot, demolish Armageddon for a flat ride, Retheme Rock n' Roller Coaster, maybe build a dark ride in that huge Stunts Moteurs area and make the café a themed meet and greet character dining thing, that is only if they don't expand it at all though. I think it would bring a lot of guests that wouldn't normally visit DLP, that said it shouldn't go on the side with TSPL and Ratatouille, that is the Pixar and animation side and something this park desperately needs is organisation, If it is Pixar, what would it be though?

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 06, 2016, 06:16:56 PM

Possibly moving some of that backstage stuff that is near the backlot to allow for expansion in that area for a Marvel Studio land or whatever. I think it is either that or they are doing another Pixar land. I think a Marvel land would be a great fit but only if done well on a decent budget and personally I think it should use the land we've already got in the Backlot, demolish Armageddon for a flat ride, Retheme Rock n' Roller Coaster, maybe build a dark ride in that huge Stunts Moteurs area and make the café a themed meet and greet character dining thing, that is only if they don't expand it at all though. I think it would bring a lot of guests that wouldn't normally visit DLP, that said it shouldn't go on the side with TSPL and Ratatouille, that is the Pixar and animation side and something this park desperately needs is organisation, If it is Pixar, what would it be though?
Maybe the Incredibles given a sequel is coming out.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 06, 2016, 09:18:05 PM

I feel like Marvel in the backlot is when rather than if at this point, wouldn't it be too similar?

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 06, 2016, 10:40:35 PM

I feel like Marvel in the backlot is when rather than if at this point, wouldn't it be too similar?
Whilst I like Marvel, I do think it would have to be a separate park you don't have to pay for.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 06, 2016, 10:57:39 PM

Whilst I like Marvel, I do think it would have to be a separate park you don't have to pay for.

I don't see DLP doing a third gate anytime soon, we've still got the studios to fix and DLP to actually give some new rides too,it's been like what, 10 years since we had a new ride there?

I don't see why it would be, Disney have made Marvel what it is now,  Star Wars is going into Disneyland in California in the main park, why would Paris treat Marvel differently?

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 07, 2016, 08:21:39 PM

I don't see DLP doing a third gate anytime soon, we've still got the studios to fix and DLP to actually give some new rides too,it's been like what, 10 years since we had a new ride there?

I don't see why it would be, Disney have made Marvel what it is now,  Star Wars is going into Disneyland in California in the main park, why would Paris treat Marvel differently?
I think both Marvel and Star Wars should be treated differently because they are not Disney characters but rather franchises that Disney bought. Same as if they tried to introduce Muppets.

Rocketeer

Like it or not Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and The Muppets are all part of the Disney portfolio. They may not have originated out of 500 South Buena Vista Street, but they are now part and parcel of the companies entertainment offerings. And at least two of them do have connections with the company (via George Lucas, John Lasseter and Jim Henson) before their respective purchases.

The Mouse has paid $15.7bn for them, and will want to recoup that cost, and at the same time use these characters to their benefit, not least in their parks.

So will we see a Marvel Land being added to WDS? Its anyone's guess, but given that these cadre of characters currently riding a wave of popularity, then why not.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 07, 2016, 09:49:22 PM

I think both Marvel and Star Wars should be treated differently because they are not Disney characters but rather franchises that Disney bought. Same as if they tried to introduce Muppets.

Isn't Pixar the same though? I mean obviously it is still animation and I don't think the average joe really separates the two of them but I Imagine the same will be said for Marvel and Star Wars in a few years.

whatsupanders

This is exciting. When I went to the park a few weeks ago they asked for our details for a satisfaction survey. Made sure to include some suggestions for WDS. WDS needs a big tentpole area. Ratatouille and ToT have done wonders, but it's still not a full-day park.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 08, 2016, 08:07:34 PM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 07, 2016, 09:49:22 PM

Isn't Pixar the same though? I mean obviously it is still animation and I don't think the average joe really separates the two of them but I Imagine the same will be said for Marvel and Star Wars in a few years.
Didn't Disney work with Pixar on Toy Story? Or was it only after they bought Pixar that their logo showed up at the beginning of the film?

Rocketeer

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 08, 2016, 10:45:03 PM
Didn't Disney work with Pixar on Toy Story? Or was it only after they bought Pixar that their logo showed up at the beginning of the film?
Disney signed them to a three picture distribution deal at the start, that's why the Disney logo appears at the start of Toy Story.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on April 16, 2016, 09:17:06 PM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on April 08, 2016, 10:45:03 PM
Disney signed them to a three picture distribution deal at the start, that's why the Disney logo appears at the start of Toy Story.
I thought it did. The Pixar-Disney partnership to ownership thing always confuses me.