Walt Disney Studios Land Surveys (Expansion Speculation)

Started by mrpiggywinkles52, April 05, 2016, 02:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

As the Paramount Park London project has moved another step forward, I think Disneyland Paris will have to up it's game at the start of the next decade. I'm not suggesting that Paramount London can 'out do' DLRP, but its yet another draw away from 'The Happiest Place in Europe'.

ED SCA has 5 years to play with to construct something spectacular in WDS. And there's plenty of land at WDI/EDI's disposal.
We've debated the 'suitabilty' of the newer IPs, so I don't want to go over that again, however if you're going to ensure that DLRP remains the number one theme park destination in Europe, a few C-Tickets just aren't going to cut it.

OK, it always boils down to money, and we all know that ED isn't flush, however I'd like to hope that Burbank will at least give them a helping hand. There's no use sitting on their laurels waiting for the competition to catch up.

In the words of a Disney movie/Broadway show. 'Now is the time to Seize the Day'.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on April 25, 2016, 08:21:28 PM
As the Paramount Park London project has moved another step forward, I think Disneyland Paris will have to up it's game at the start of the next decade. I'm not suggesting that Paramount London can 'out do' DLRP, but its yet another draw away from 'The Happiest Place in Europe'.

ED SCA has 5 years to play with to construct something spectacular in WDS. And there's plenty of land at WDI/EDI's disposal.
We've debated the 'suitabilty' of the newer IPs, so I don't want to go over that again, however if you're going to ensure that DLRP remains the number one theme park destination in Europe, a few C-Tickets just aren't going to cut it.

OK, it always boils down to money, and we all know that ED isn't flush, however I'd like to hope that Burbank will at least give them a helping hand. There's no use sitting on their laurels waiting for the competition to catch up.

In the words of a Disney movie/Broadway show. 'Now is the time to Seize the Day'.

Not sure how much it'll affect DLP isn't something like 70% of the attendance French anyways? I think it's like 15-20 from the UK which whilst that is sizeable the majority is either hardcore Disney fans or people with kids, I don't think Paramount has the IPs to rival Disneyland does it? It looks to me like a better Alton Towers.

Regardless of that this can only be a good thing for the resort, Disney sat on their laurels through much of the 90s and especially the 2000s, which has led to EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and up until Recently Animal Kingdom all falling behind. They thought they could put out anything and it'd sell, Look at WDSP or DCA as examples of that, both disgraceful parks when built.

But recently Universal's advancements have forced innovation in California and Florida, look how DCA has been transformed, Buena Vista Street, Cars Land, refurbs to bring all the areas bar one in the park up to scratch, that park is brilliant now! Look how Hollywood Studios is going to be transformed and I'm sure EPCOT will get it's turn around 2018. Paramount could have the same effect on Paris depending on how competitive it is, it could do wonders for us!

I think a cheaper solution would be to renovate the backlot into a Marvel studio area, you'd save a lot of money by retheming Rock N' Roller Coaster, if they wanted to turn the café into some sort of dark ride there's a building there, demo Armageddon for some sort of flat ride and then just use the Massive stunt show space for a dark ride or character dining or something along those lines. Then all you have to do is theme the area to be a super hero city or something. It's not cheap but its a heck of a lot cheaper than constructing a whole new land, this way you also get rid of one of the two truly awful areas in WDSP being Backlot and the Animation Courtyard. Marvel is big in the UK and hugely marketable. Since Paramount is in the UK that's a great thing. Not to mention you have the potential to attract teenagers,an audience that usually tends to prefer other places to DLP. I mean speaking as a teen now almost everyone at my school loves Marvel and that hype will only continue in the coming years with things like Civil War.

As for an entirely new land Cars Land at DCA costs a ton, 1.1 billion, but since the R and D is done maybe we could get it for a bit cheaper, that said Disney is trying to differentiate their parks more and more so that may not be an option.

Disneyland Park could use some new stuff too, I doubt it'd happen as well as the studios stuff but Star Wars is a huge draw worldwide and since the UK has nothing like the Star Wars land in the states that could be useful, that said it'll probably cost a ton to build Star Wars land, there is space in Discoveryland for a big E ticket Roller Coaster though, maybe another ride too for a sort of mini land.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on April 25, 2016, 09:00:50 PM
Quote from: Rocketeer on April 25, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Not sure how much it'll affect DLP isn't something like 70% of the attendance French anyways? I think it's like 15-20 from the UK which whilst that is sizeable the majority is either hardcore Disney fans or people with kids, I don't think Paramount has the IPs to rival Disneyland does it? It looks to me like a better Alton Towers.

Regardless of that this can only be a good thing for the resort, Disney sat on their laurels through much of the 90s and especially the 2000s, which has led to EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and up until Recently Animal Kingdom all falling behind. They thought they could put out anything and it'd sell, Look at WDSP or DCA as examples of that, both disgraceful parks when built.

But recently Universal's advancements have forced innovation in California and Florida, look how DCA has been transformed, Buena Vista Street, Cars Land, refurbs to bring all the areas bar one in the park up to scratch, that park is brilliant now! Look how Hollywood Studios is going to be transformed and I'm sure EPCOT will get it's turn around 2018. Paramount could have the same effect on Paris depending on how competitive it is, it could do wonders for us!

I think a cheaper solution would be to renovate the backlot into a Marvel studio area, you'd save a lot of money by retheming Rock N' Roller Coaster, if they wanted to turn the café into some sort of dark ride there's a building there, demo Armageddon for some sort of flat ride and then just use the Massive stunt show space for a dark ride or character dining or something along those lines. Then all you have to do is theme the area to be a super hero city or something. It's not cheap but its a heck of a lot cheaper than constructing a whole new land, this way you also get rid of one of the two truly awful areas in WDSP being Backlot and the Animation Courtyard. Marvel is big in the UK and hugely marketable. Since Paramount is in the UK that's a great thing. Not to mention you have the potential to attract teenagers,an audience that usually tends to prefer other places to DLP. I mean speaking as a teen now almost everyone at my school loves Marvel and that hype will only continue in the coming years with things like Civil War.

As for an entirely new land Cars Land at DCA costs a ton, 1.1 billion, but since the R and D is done maybe we could get it for a bit cheaper, that said Disney is trying to differentiate their parks more and more so that may not be an option.

Disneyland Park could use some new stuff too, I doubt it'd happen as well as the studios stuff but Star Wars is a huge draw worldwide and since the UK has nothing like the Star Wars land in the states that could be useful, that said it'll probably cost a ton to build Star Wars land, there is space in Discoveryland for a big E ticket Roller Coaster though, maybe another ride too for a sort of mini land.
I like Marvel but I wouldn't want to see it take the space of the Stunt Show. DLP need to keep Moteurs...Action!; it's one of the best parts of Walt Disney Studios - up there with Cinemagique for me, which I also love.

Rocketeer

^I don't think Moteurs is going anywhere for now. It's a high capacity theatre, so taking it out of the roster would be a big deal for the park. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it did get a Marvel overlay. Wasn't S.H.I.E.L.D. rumoured not so long ago?

And if they do expand behind the internal berm (the Tram Tour), then at least the theatre is not completely in the way. The obvious main route to a new land would be down Hollywood Blvd., but there is sufficient space between Moteurs and RnRc for a secondary entry point.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mickey1980

Motors in it's current form is heavily outdated. And a shadow of the spectacular show it once was.
I would very much welcome a new show coming to this theatre.

That being said. It would be best to level the complete backlot area. It's doesn't have any appeal and is waaaaaay below Disney standards. Rock 'n Roller coaster can stay. But with a new facade / show building .
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

mrpiggywinkles52

I think given that it would be being done on a VERY tight budget given that this is Disneyland Paris we're talking about a  new theme and facade for Rock n' Roller Coaster, Moteurs getting a SHIELD theme to it, Resteraunt Des Stars should become a sit in experience with either a show or a few characters that you can just walk into, then Blockbuster Café should become a character dining experience you have to book, possibly with the Avengers? Both buildings would need a new façade. Maybe a Helicarrier sitting down? Doesn't sound ridiculously expensive, maybe Stark Tower would be better though. Armageddon could probably be replaced by two well themed flat rides, Café Des Cascadeurs could also become a meet and greet.

What would the theme of the land be in general though? A city? Some sort of futuristic super hero city or what? You need to differentiate it enough from the real world yet still have it in the very real Marvel universe. Also are we taking the old mantra of making it a movie set or the new (TSPL and Ratatouille) way of doing things where instead of a movie set the land transports you into the movie? I'm having fun speculating about this lol.

Rocketeer

^There are a few fictional locations in the Marvel universe, but not many of them would be ideal as an overlay for the Backlot. It'd be easier if they had a Gotham or Metropolis.

As for the budgetary concerns, you've got it spot on - if they do change its unlikely it'll be a extensive retheme. The fishing village is going to stay -  and all you need to do is slap a S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on the 'hero' car and the HYDRA one on the others.
*sigh* That sounds depressingly like something they actually would do. I should stop, before I give them any more ideas.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 03, 2016, 04:13:15 PM
^I don't think Moteurs is going anywhere for now. It's a high capacity theatre, so taking it out of the roster would be a big deal for the park. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it did get a Marvel overlay. Wasn't S.H.I.E.L.D. rumoured not so long ago?
That would be cool. They could perform stunts from the TV series Agents of SHIELD.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on May 05, 2016, 04:02:31 PM
^There are a few fictional locations in the Marvel universe, but not many of them would be ideal as an overlay for the Backlot. It'd be easier if they had a Gotham or Metropolis.

As for the budgetary concerns, you've got it spot on - if they do change its unlikely it'll be a extensive retheme. The fishing village is going to stay -  and all you need to do is slap a S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on the 'hero' car and the HYDRA one on the others.
*sigh* That sounds depressingly like something they actually would do. I should stop, before I give them any more ideas.

I think they'd throw in a bunch of marvel heroes too, maybe some new vehicles and stuff too, they wouldn't completely Rehash it would they! Perhaps a good theme would be a ruined New York like in the Avengers, to differentiate from the normal cities people are used to.

Rocketeer

^I'm surprised they haven't decided to rename the Reign of Fire set into "something from The Avengers".

irishbhoy1888

The only way this park will work and look like a normal dhs park is if the WDC get the cheque book out and overhaul , simple as .
Anything else like patching over already terrible looking areas will do nothing but make the place worse .
Disney is not good at doing things on the cheap , they have proven that by building this park and then spending years half arseing here and there in it .
Disney , Revamp the park or keep your loose change and ill keep mine .

Rocketeer

The scary thing is, this 'cheap' park supposedly cost €600m. It's more than likely any significant expansion would need to be at least that amount, if not more.

But as some 'gossip' puts its, Shanghai Disneyland has required a lot of focus from the folks at Flower St., but also caused potential budget constraints on other upcoming projects. (That's if the gossip is to be believed). TWDC may not want to drop half a billion Euros just on the Studios in one go. It may take a slower approach, which is not a great prospect.

mickey1980

They could change the way they budget these attractions. Ratatouille costs around €150 million to build. I'm pretty sure any other theme park could build the same for way less. Maybe even half.
Apparently "Disney Imagineering" and the licensing department takes a big part of the pie.

The same reason why Paris never made any profit. Which is impossible with a visitor count of 14.2 million per year (2014)  :-X
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

mrpiggywinkles52

I think its fine if Disney do it slowly, provided they focus on improvement before expansion, by this I mean fixing what they already have before expanding the park further.

The most crucial thing is a plan, a plan for what to do, preferably a public one with dates so we can hold Disney to it, be it a 10 year plan or more.

Focus first on replacing Backlot and improving the theming everywhere else, THEN build new lands, Advertise the attractions you renovate or convert as new attractions, maybe throw in a new ride in an existing land every so often (Midway Mania for TSPL?) but primarily fix what you already have.

I think Disney know Paris needs a lot of work to become a Giant like it could be, I mean it could be the WDW of Europe and whilst it's the number 1 attraction it could do SO MUCH MORE. I think if Shanghai is a success Paris is next to get an improvement, the Asian parks have stuff underway, Disneyland has just fixed DCA and is now getting SW land, WDW is fixing Animal Kingdom and Studios on the back of a big expansion to the Magic Kingdom. Paris and EPCOT are surely next on the list, they gave 1.1 billion to fix DCA, maybe we'll see the same?

In response to the costs isn't that something to do with French construction laws?

irishbhoy1888

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on May 15, 2016, 06:56:14 PM
I think its fine if Disney do it slowly, provided they focus on improvement before expansion, by this I mean fixing what they already have before expanding the park further.

The most crucial thing is a plan, a plan for what to do, preferably a public one with dates so we can hold Disney to it, be it a 10 year plan or more.

Focus first on replacing Backlot and improving the theming everywhere else, THEN build new lands, Advertise the attractions you renovate or convert as new attractions, maybe throw in a new ride in an existing land every so often (Midway Mania for TSPL?) but primarily fix what you already have.

I think Disney know Paris needs a lot of work to become a Giant like it could be, I mean it could be the WDW of Europe and whilst it's the number 1 attraction it could do SO MUCH MORE. I think if Shanghai is a success Paris is next to get an improvement, the Asian parks have stuff underway, Disneyland has just fixed DCA and is now getting SW land, WDW is fixing Animal Kingdom and Studios on the back of a big expansion to the Magic Kingdom. Paris and EPCOT are surely next on the list, they gave 1.1 billion to fix DCA, maybe we'll see the same?

In response to the costs isn't that something to do with French construction laws?

I don't think this park can be fixed without expanding , it's just too small .It has virtually no exploration value , just a go right or left when you enter , do a loop and hey presto , your back where you started .
Ok given the addition of ratatouille this helps but basically the park is way too small for a Disney park and I think the best bet for twdc is to bite the bullet and fix it .
Doing things in stages always leaves the door open to phase 2 , 3 and so on being kicked down the road if a problem occurs somewhere else .
In a scenario like this , when they get around to phase 2 & 3   , phase 1 will need doing again  :).
I think dlrp has much more to offer if only the people in charge had the will to fix what's wrong .
A resort that attracts 14 mil a year and still loses cash is something that could and should of being fixed long long ago .
Imagine the wdc clearing the early debt or at least bringing it under control before what happened , happened . ?
A 3rd gate with a proper wds would be around long by now .