Fixing the Walt Disney Studios Park SPECULATION

Started by mrpiggywinkles52, November 19, 2015, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpiggywinkles52

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I thought it sort of fitted here since there isn't a general discussion forum on here.

Anyways The Walt Disney Company now owns over 75% of Disneyland Paris in addition to all of its debt. It is fair to say that Disney now have the control they need to get things done. And from what we've seen already they aren't letting the park fade when they can do anything about it. Already we've seen sweeping refurbishments, spectacularly themed green fences, more characters and friendlier CMs (I've heard although most were friendly before).

As a result of that I think that Disney after the 25th anniversary are going to slowly revamp Walt Disney Studios Park to get it up to the standard people expect from Disney. Now personally it is my favourite park (don't hate me) at DLP, maybe because I'm part of the Pixar generation but I have to admit the place has a lot of flaws. I LOVE the side of the park with Toy Story Playland, Place de Remi and the Toon Studios in particular, in fact the toon studio courtyard is my favourite spot at the resort. But I find the Animation courtyard, Backlot and to an extent Production courtyard rather lacking and the park still needs some expansion.

So I was wondering, realistically what do people on here think is going to happen, when and what is being done first?

Personally I think the Toon Studio will be the first to get changes, they'll replace the Toontown wall with probably a spot for meet and greets of Pixar characters, they'll retheme carpets to a Pixar film and Animagique will get a pixar theme. As well as that they'll do other decorative stuff there to bring the area closer to the standard of the newer areas.  The main reason I think this is that apart from this area needing the least done to it out of all the pre-2010 areas of the park it also leads to the post-2010 areas where there is currently a stark contrast between TSPL, PDR and Toon Studios.

But what do the folks on here think will happen to WDSP Post 25th aniversary?

Rocketeer

Good topic. :)

I agree that Toon Studio needs an overhaul. Especially now there's Remyland right next to it, its like night and day of theming. They will probably increase the Pixar presence there, but even though I've criticised Toon Studio I think there are plenty of other lands that need attention first.

The Back Lot is still a swathe of concrete that reminds us of the disappointment of '02. There was talk of additional themeing around there, which I could see happening (its a relatively cheap and quite way to spruce up an area).

The Fantastic Four aren't going to be replacing Armageddon Effets Speciuex any time soon, but I doubt that would have any major impact on any proprosed rethemes in that area. That means that AES will probably stay around for the near future, unless they did have a back up plan.

After that, the really need too look at building a proper Hollywood Blvd., but whether that comes before or after park expansion is anyones guess.

I can see them adding something beyond the berm - in the area behind Motuers (and you'd access the land between Mouteurs and RnRc). As to what that will be, well I guess its likely to be something Marvel. They could use Star Wars, but that seems more likely to be in Discoveryland now.

Once that area is reclaimed, then they can start looking at further additions outside the berm, but then we're looking into the '20s and its hard to say what they will do. Who knows, maybe they will add Star Wars Land to WDS and save Disco-land from a rather jarring thematic clash.
However, that hinges on what happens in the next half-decade. If they make some solid additions (just like they did with Remy) then this sort of expansion becomes more possible than it ever has been in the past.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

stifle

There's very little room between Moteurs! Action! Stunt Show Spectaculaire and Frontierland.

Rocketeer

There's plenty of open land back there. It's Catastrophe Canyon that backs onto Frontierland.
;)  :)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on November 19, 2015, 08:04:54 PM
Good topic. :)

I agree that Toon Studio needs an overhaul. Especially now there's Remyland right next to it, its like night and day of theming. They will probably increase the Pixar presence there, but even though I've criticised Toon Studio I think there are plenty of other lands that need attention first.

The Back Lot is still a swathe of concrete that reminds us of the disappointment of '02. There was talk of additional themeing around there, which I could see happening (its a relatively cheap and quite way to spruce up an area).

The Fantastic Four aren't going to be replacing Armageddon Effets Speciuex any time soon, but I doubt that would have any major impact on any proprosed rethemes in that area. That means that AES will probably stay around for the near future, unless they did have a back up plan.

After that, the really need too look at building a proper Hollywood Blvd., but whether that comes before or after park expansion is anyones guess.

I can see them adding something beyond the berm - in the area behind Motuers (and you'd access the land between Mouteurs and RnRc). As to what that will be, well I guess its likely to be something Marvel. They could use Star Wars, but that seems more likely to be in Discoveryland now.

Once that area is reclaimed, then they can start looking at further additions outside the berm, but then we're looking into the '20s and its hard to say what they will do. Who knows, maybe they will add Star Wars Land to WDS and save Disco-land from a rather jarring thematic clash.
However, that hinges on what happens in the next half-decade. If they make some solid additions (just like they did with Remy) then this sort of expansion becomes more possible than it ever has been in the past.

I totally agree that there are other lands that need it more, but the idea is to increase the park experience as quickly as possible. Therefore I was suggesting the area that needs the least done to it since TSPL and Place de Remi are both stunning IMO. I think Hollywood Blvd should come after we've fixed the Animation Courtyard and Backlot as those two areas are pretty dire in my opinion. I think with Backlot they should just scrap the land and start over, keep RnRC's track and maybe some of the stunt show stuff and make it the Marvel Studio.

Armageddon could be replaced by any new attraction to do with super heroes, a dark ride if there is enough space, if not perhaps a more thrilling flat ride. RnRc is rethemed to some marvel hero and the stunt show rethemed to involve heroes as well. I've not been to Backlot in a long time but if there is room for expansion a marvel dark ride would be awesome. In addition more meet and greets throughout the land would be cool and they just have to build up the place to look like New York City or something.

Rocketeer

^They could (and should) add some placemaking to the Backlot. It doesn't have to be NYC, just go for the generic "Big City Street" as they had in Florida.

The other issue is the Backlot Tour itself. If they keep it, it certainly needs re-routing again. Or should it remain at all?

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: stifle on November 19, 2015, 08:51:25 PM
There's very little room between Moteurs! Action! Stunt Show Spectaculaire and Frontierland.

Sorry, but I think this show is boring and too old. Would be fab if they could do something Disney related there!

Rocketeer

^Well it does have Herbie......
:P

Actually you raise an interesting point. What if they did scrap the show and amphitheatre? That would yield a fair bit of space, which could then be encompassed into a post-beam expansion. Down side is, that Moteurs does have a large capacity. Removing it before replacing that RPM would mean the rest of the park might get pretty busy.

Would many fans miss Moteurs if it joined it US cousin in Yesterland?

MickeyAteMyCap

I think we can expect at least one new show and one new parade at Walt Disney Studios Park. I will be very disappointed personally if both parks don't have at least one new show each in time for the 25th anniversary and no new parades.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on November 22, 2015, 10:58:52 AM

Would many fans miss Moteurs if it joined it US cousin in Yesterland?
You can't get rid of the stunt show.  :o

polar vixen

I'd miss it.  I think it's always exciting especially for the kids ir could just do with a change up occasionally

samuelvictor

Getting rid of the stunt show would cause even longer queues everywhere else. Also, I like it. Now, Armageddon, I could defintiely do without. Replacing it is something people have been calling for for years... (though they can leave the cool looking tank thing there as a movie prop!)

Personally I don't think the Studios park needs "fixing", I really like it, and it just gets better with all the new stuff. But I'd very much appreciate if they added Muppets 4D and anything Marvel / Star Wars themed :) Another dark ride on the scale of Pirates/Ratatouille would be perfect IMHO. Also, a real parade would be appreciated.  8)

mrpiggywinkles52

I really think the Backlot thing is tired to be honest. I wasn't suggesting the big city to make it seem more like a backlot but rather to retheme the area entirely into Marvel Studios or Super hero City or something. Disney announced in regards to either WDSP or DHS that they were going to be moving away from the making of movies, rather focusing on putting you into the movie, something we've seen achieved in TSPL and Place de Remi. There really isn't a place for the backlot when tram tour is in production courtyard.

Armageddon is awful, Stunt show can stay but in reality I think the space could be better used. Rock N' Roller coaster doesn't really mesh with the theme of a backlot does it? It's behind the scenes of a music video I guess?

I think retheming the Backlot to Marvel has a lot of opportunities. Use all the space, make the Restaurant that is there into a marvel character dining experience.That wouldn't even cost all that much to do. Retheme Rock n' Roller coaster, something which will not cost a lot compared to a new ride and then take the space currently taken up by Moteurs and put it into a new dark ride with high capacity because that is something studios does need more of despite attempting to fix that issue already. There's probably enough room to fit in a theatre for a show there too.

As for the theming of the land they could put up big skyscrapers or the like, they don't have to be real buildings, just so long as you can't tell they're fake like the ones on our current Hollywood Blvd. Put bits of Marvel theming in here and there too. Stark Tower facade perhaps if they don't have the budget to make the real thing? Have Superheros walking about too to add to the theming.

Backlot is the area in most need of help, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Rocketeer

Quote from: samuelvictor on November 22, 2015, 09:50:58 PM
But I'd very much appreciate if they added Muppets 4D
I think we've found out what should replace Animagique.  :D

Shame it won't happen though.

Quote from: mrpiggywinkles52 on November 22, 2015, 10:01:07 PM
There really isn't a place for the backlot when tram tour is in production courtyard.
My suggestion would be to move the entrance to the Tram Tour to the rear of the Tower - down in that area where Café des Cascadeurs is. The load/unload could be located in the area where the prop cars are.
The tour route would have to go to the rear of the park land - not on the existing roads it currently uses. With that moved, its "Hollywood Blvd. here we come".

take the space currently taken up by Moteurs and put it into a new dark ride with high capacity because that is something studios does need more of despite attempting to fix that issue already.
Excellent idea. A Marvel EMV ride would be perfect there.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: Rocketeer on November 22, 2015, 11:45:26 PM
Quote from: samuelvictor on November 22, 2015, 09:50:58 PM
But I'd very much appreciate if they added Muppets 4D
I think we've found out what should replace Animagique.  :D

Shame it won't happen though.

There really isn't a place for the backlot when tram tour is in production courtyard.
My suggestion would be to move the entrance to the Tram Tour to the rear of the Tower - down in that area where Café des Cascadeurs is. The load/unload could be located in the area where the prop cars are.
The tour route would have to go to the rear of the park land - not on the existing roads it currently uses. With that moved, its "Hollywood Blvd. here we come".

take the space currently taken up by Moteurs and put it into a new dark ride with high capacity because that is something studios does need more of despite attempting to fix that issue already.
Excellent idea. A Marvel EMV ride would be perfect there.

I like your suggestion about tower! However I'm worried it could leave the entrance to the studios (one of the best parts of the park IMO) looking a little bit lacking for a period of time. Since Its likely that the Tram tour thing would be done in 2016 with no Hollywood Blvd construction starting until after the 25th at the earliest! That could be an issue!