Just how frightening is the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster?

Started by RocketBabyDoll, April 09, 2007, 10:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzy

I saw a tv programme once that explained there really are two types of people who ride roller coasters.  The first may get scared but love the adrenaline.  The second lot are genuinely scared (something to do with the way their brains are wired...).   I am so terrified on roller coasters, well I say that, have only ever tried BTM and that scared me to death each time.  The family keep telling me I'd like space mountain but I'm not convinced.   :)

ailsa

I am scared but love the adrenaline!

Martha86

I love it, Space Mountain is the ride that scares me because it seems as if every time I'm on it - it breaks down. Now THAT is scary. Rock n' Rollercoaster is really smooth in comparison aswell!

speedpacket

Quote from: "Martha86"I love it, Space Mountain is the ride that scares me because it seems as if every time I'm on it - it breaks down. Now THAT is scary. Rock n' Rollercoaster is really smooth in comparison aswell!
LOL - I only got stuck on SM once :)
I always hope I do, because it's fun to see th dome with all lights on, and then you can exit through the staircases ;)
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

Martha86

It's horrible! I got really frightened cos I thought our train had broken down and perhaps the other train was gonna come up behind and smash into ours! I always think the worst in situations like that though!!!!!!!! x

speedpacket

Quote from: "Martha86"It's horrible! I got really frightened cos I thought our train had broken down and perhaps the other train was gonna come up behind and smash into ours! I always think the worst in situations like that though!!!!!!!! x
Hehe - you really should read some more on basic rollercoaster design.  The chances you have two trains collapsing on a track really is about non-existing.  Basically, the tracks are divided into different sections (each section is usually bordered by either a break section, like on Indiana Jones, where you can easily see where these sections are, or by a lift hill).

A train is only allowed to "enter" the next section if the computer registered that the previous train already left the next section.  

You see this happening a lot on Space Moutain; if two trains leave to soon after one another, you sometimes are put on a "break" on the lift hill in the middle of the ride (where you have to get out when it really crashes too LOL).

And before you say computers can't be trusted - don't ever compare a PLC (the chips that work on these things; they also are used in washing machines and ovens - how many times did yours crash?) to a Windows machine ;)

Anyway - just to assure you that the chances really are VERY small...
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

Martha86

Hahaha! Thanks, that's good to know!!!!!!!!! You know what us girls are like, always worrying!  :D

Joseph Carter

I think that the Rock n Rollercoaster at Disneyland Paris is really good fun. I was a little nervous before riding it but to be honest its GREAT.
Just Do It is my advice.
//http://www.disneymanpodcast.com
Check out the Disneyman Podcast!!! Its disney fun for everyone!

Christian3004

It's the most "convenient" Highspeed Coaster in Disneyland. Compared to Space Mountain or Indy, this ride has not so many bumps and you can smoothly survive. During our last visit in April, our 7 year old daughter (now tall enough) tried to ride it, but was shocked when she saw the shot with the countdown at the beginning.....  :?

CafeFantasia

The only truly scary aspect of the Rock'n'Roller Coaster is the launch. The countdown, and the moments spent waiting to be launched, can make you feel very anxious. I think it's the shock of going from being completely stationary to travelling 60mph towards a loop. But once you're past that, it's smooth sailing until the end. The ride maintains a fairly consistent speed and makes very large sweeping turns, making it comfortable and pleasant to ride.

It's currently a relatively smooth ride, but then Space Mountain was smooth when it opened in 1995, and the two coasters use the same Vekoma ride system. So it might not be smooth forever.

x-charlotte-x

I love all rollercoasters and RnRC is by far my favourite coaster at DLRP. It's not so much as scary for me, more exciting, im an adrenaline junkie at heart!  :P

I supose it just depends on each individual person as to wether they think the ride is scary or not.

1997 - Santa Fe
2006 - Cheyenne
2009 - New York

skalos

I really feel weird with Roller coasters... I dont like them... The only coaster that I like is BTM... I really can wait to ride it again.... I dont know if its the themeing or just that is a really smooth and... natural (I mean that its just a train going from the top of mountain to the bottom..) ride or its just a coaster for children but I love it!

If you compare the RNRC to BTM what would you say??

* I havent been to any other coaster in DLRP because I m scared... (I should grow up but...) The only thing that made me feel better is the fact that my girlfriend was to scared to go to SMII because it was "really dark" (as she said after) and she is a true rollercoaster junkie...

Owain

On Rock 'n' Roller Coaster its still a smooth ride i think but there are loops and inversions and if you dont like fast stuff you will not like the 70mph launch of the ride. I think its a great ride though. If you wouldnt want to go on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, i would suggest to take your next step on Indiana Jones !  :)

joe

Quote from: "Owain"On Rock 'n' Roller Coaster its still a smooth ride i think but there are loops and inversions and if you dont like fast stuff you will not like the 70mph launch of the ride. I think its a great ride though. If you wouldnt want to go on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, i would suggest to take your next step on Indiana Jones !  :)

I would say if you don't wanna ride RnRc then you're best trying space mountain first, yeah its not a smooth at RnRc, but its a slower launch, only 44mph instead of the 60mph.

I think Indiana Jones is a bit rough for first timers, its fine if you know to hold on tight and stuff, but don't put your arms up on this one! You'll end up with a bashed elbow...i found out the hard way :(

skalos

Thanks guys...

I ve been to a lot of coasters (and a lot of really rough ones) but I simply dont like them...

BTM is the first coaster that I really love!!! The last time that I visited DLRP I told to my self that I will try and do the attractions that I did the first time I was there and I was really scared.

The attractions were:
Star Tours
Captain EO (dont ask me why... I dont know, i just freaked out! And I am a MJ fan)
BTM
Visionarium (again dont ask me why!! I simply dont know!)

This was back in 1993 (indy wasnt open yet) and I was 9 years old... So last year I tried the attractions that were still there... Star Tours was fine but in the last seconds I was waiting it to end... But BTM... WOW!! I was scared of that? It was amaizing (it was night and everything was magical)!!

I cant wait to ride it again!! That's why I was thinking of trying the other coasters in DLRP... Im hoping that I m going to like crush coaster...