Disney's Hotel New York refurbishment (2015-2016)

Started by Kristof, October 01, 2014, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

As you may know, Disney's Hotel New York is set to receive a complete make-over. Mark Stead (Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer) recently confirmed during one of the shareholders round-table meetings that the entire hotel will close (probably late 2015) for an entire year to re-do everything: from the lobby to the rooms.

Facebook community page "Disneyland Times" (formerly know as DLRP Times) got their hands on some photos of the model rooms that are currently installed in the hotel to test out different concepts.

Source: Disneyland Times on Facebook

[attachment deleted by admin]

RockNRoller

I was gutted to hear the hotel was going to close for a whole year, where will I stay I cried. But looking at those photo's, wow, I'll happily stay elsewhere next year if that's what they're going to do with it. Those rooms are impressive.

ps if you go to the actual FB page, you will need to scroll down a bit there is also a photo of a corridor with a new style carpet. You know when I go in November I'll be wandering the corridors looking for that spot.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

jimtrim

That'll be a bit of a dent in the fiscal report that year...? Where will all those guests go/stay?
Still, I think the hotel really needs this - particularly the lobby - and will definitely bring it up to finally live up to the name "NEW YORK" after the last 20 years of stasis. 
..rooms look nice and plush ;) and I don't think all hotels need Disney/ character theming, so all in all, this is great news (especially for guests who like to stay at HNY!)
.... personally, this doesn't convert me from still being a Sequoia Lodge fan! ;D

... drawing by day, dreaming by night, Disney fan all the time!:)
http://www.jimtrim.co.uk/

pfspock

I like the new design. Looks pretty classy. Especially the colors look way more like New York than the Primary Colors scheme of the 1990s.

RockNRoller

Quote from: jimtrim on October 01, 2014, 10:54:26 AM
Where will all those guests go/stay?
.... personally, this doesn't convert me from still being a Sequoia Lodge fan! ;D
Having seen the Golden forest rooms in the Sequoia Lodge I think I'll opt to stay there during the closure.
Watch out Jimtrim the New Yorkers are coming  ;D

jimtrim

... drawing by day, dreaming by night, Disney fan all the time!:)
http://www.jimtrim.co.uk/

norhel

I'm surprised that they'll close the whole hotel for that long.
But looking at the pictures, it looks nice. I especially like the last one where you'll see the buildings of New York.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

DisneyGagaChick

mickey1980

I like it. But.... I think it needs some Disney references. Or at least some good story elements (like the Empire State building lamp and Apple). It's what you expect in Paris. Because all the other (refurbished) hotels have it.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

FoX

I'm not sure about the design. NY is my favourite hotel and I really like the feel of it. The rooms have a nice Disney look and also that little bit extra over SL and NPBC. The new look however lacks the Disney feel for my taste and looks like a regular 4 star business hotel. An update? I'm all for that but they should be cautious and keep the Disney atmosphere alive in the hotel like they did with the refurbishment of NPBC.

RockNRoller

Quote from: mickey1980 on October 01, 2014, 06:01:15 PM
I like it. But.... I think it needs some Disney references. Or at least some good story elements (like the Empire State building lamp and Apple). It's what you expect in Paris.

I've been looking at these photo's over the last week, were staying in the New York end of November, and something's been bugging me and last night I showed the photo's to my wife and her first comment was "Where's the Mickey Mouse duvet?" You're right Mickey1980 that's what its missing any sort of reference to Disney, note even in a frieze round the top of the walls. Hope they do add a Disney touch here and there, love the current duvets covered in Mickeys

Kristof

The original duvets didn't have any Mickey reference at all. I believe they started using those in 2004-2005.

DisneyManiac

Does the 2nd picture have a photo frame with one of the Disney Cruise Ships in it?

DisneyGagaChick

I wonder what else they will do during the refurbishment..

Rocketeer

Quote from: DisneyManiac on October 10, 2014, 09:21:58 PM
Does the 2nd picture have a photo frame with one of the Disney Cruise Ships in it?
Good spot. Although its hard to tell, she does have two funnels but they're thinner in shape than the current DCL ships funnels. If its a vintage photo it'll probably be the RMS Queen Elizabeth.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney