Walt Disney Studios Park Expansion Projects (Rumours)

Started by Josh, April 18, 2012, 06:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

|Q|

Quote from: "Cara"I think a Marvel land would be pretty cool but I wouldn't want to lose the whole theme of Disney.

you're talking abouth the aerosmith, right? ;-]

Q

Cara

Quote from: "|Q|"
Quote from: "Cara"I think a Marvel land would be pretty cool but I wouldn't want to lose the whole theme of Disney.

you're talking abouth the aerosmith, right? ;-]

Q

ummm yes? haha The aerosmith ride is a bit odd in the studios but I have to admit that I do like it!

Davy Crockett Ranch - May 2002
Davy Crockett Ranch - March 2003
Kyriad hotel - July 2005
Santa fe - February 2012 (Anniversary trip)
Newport Bay - September 2012!

|Q|

Quote from: "Cara"ummm yes? haha The aerosmith ride is a bit odd in the studios but I have to admit that I do like it!

Wouldn't be better something, i don't know, Thor-based where you travel in the Rainbow Bridge between Earth and Asgard.

Q

Cara

Wouldn't be better something, i don't know, Thor-based where you travel in the Rainbow Bridge between Earth and Asgard.

Q[/quote]

That would be pretty cool. Maybe even something to do with the new Avengers movie..

Davy Crockett Ranch - May 2002
Davy Crockett Ranch - March 2003
Kyriad hotel - July 2005
Santa fe - February 2012 (Anniversary trip)
Newport Bay - September 2012!

mehdi5

Quote from: "|Q|"
Quote from: "Cara"ummm yes? haha The aerosmith ride is a bit odd in the studios but I have to admit that I do like it!

Q
Either that or possibly something Iron Man themed, theming the station to Tony's garage/workshop.

CentralPlazaPerson

Recently I've been hearing rumours of a change of theme and name for Walt Disney Studios Park.
It says in the link below from officials at DLP that they are considering this. I don't know about you but I am very concerned for the future of the beloved Studios. Originally, the studios opened to give the visitor a taste of what it was like be on set, the glitz and glam of Hollywood and how scenes and special effects were conducted in the movies. Since the park became the home of Toon Studio I feel as if it has lost its movie studio feel! Personally, I hate change and I will be saddened if WDS is renamed and completely re themed. This is what I think should happen;

- The park should still be called Walt Disney Studios Park.
- Invest money into movie, stunts, big thrills attractions like the glory days.
- Once Ratatouille is built, stop building rides devoted to the new generation.
- Marvel, new generation ride ideas should be saved for a third park. Disney's Paris Adventure Park?
- The new hotel mentioned should be Hollywood related.

I've been visiting Disneyland before and after the studios was built and it is heartbreaking to hear that they might consider to re theme the whole park. Opinions?

Link - http://www.mepipe.com/2012/06/disneylan ... aires.html

dagobert

I agree with you that the park's name shouldn't be changed. Even with a new name it will look like a Studios park. It just doesn't make sense. WDI should start with the Hollywood makeover and transform the park into a beautiful one day park. Despite all the new rides and additions, it's still a mess. However I admit that I like to spend time there.

I don't see a problem with adding rides based on movies to the park. It's like Universal. There they also have rides based on movies and only the original park in Hollywood shows the production process. In Paris WDSP is not a working studio, so I don't need attractions about the productions. However I think these kind os attractions would also fit and are a nice addition. Disney was started as a movie studio, especially animation, and so I think there should be a nice attraction dedicated to that. The current Disney Animation isn't good enough to show that.

I don't want to see Marvel in a new park. If Disney wants to use Marvel, they have to do it now. Avengers just became one of the most successful movies. They should use Marvel now. Since new rides will be based on the movies and not on the comics, I think Marvel fits perfectly into WDSP. IF Disney ever builds a third park, that's way in the distant future, I want to see something like EPCOT or DisneySea. I guess that's wishful thinking, but who knows.

Maarten

Quote from: "dagobert"I agree with you that the park's name shouldn't be changed. Even with a new name it will look like a Studios park. It just doesn't make sense. WDI should start with the Hollywood makeover and transform the park into a beautiful one day park. Despite all the new rides and additions, it's still a mess.

Exactly, the movie-theme in itself isn't tremendously original, but its not that bad really. The execution however is the real problem here and the park needs to sort things out. Since 2002, the park has increased its number of attractions, but also the level of incoherency regarding it's lay-out and theme. An abandoned Hollywood Hotel located amongst soundstages and a flat Hollywood street set implies that the hotel isn't a 'real' hotel after all. The addition of Toy Story Playland isn't properly integrated thematically and physically (the path behind Art of Disney Animation is still bare). Toon Studio's storyline has become conflicting (Art of Animation explains how animation is done while 50 metres away these animated characters are shooting their own films among carnival rides). And lets not even get started on the lack of area development, sense of place or the cosmetic appearance of the park. A themepark should be so much more than a combination of attractions.

I understand I may sound overly critical now and maybe I am overthinking this way too much, but its almost impossible to argue that the park's lay-out and storyline has benefitted from these additions, despite that fact that some of the new attractions are obviously great fun in themselves. ;)

In my book, the Imagineers got one thing right back in 2002: the cleverly designed skyline of the park. From a distance you see a set of soundstages, the Earful Tower, the archway and searchlights in the sky. The problems of this park won't be solved by scrapping the Studio name, because in the end thats what it remains, so work with that. The lack of vision is the real problem here. A combination should be made of attractions that let you experience the movies on one hand, combined with a handful of explanatory attractions (Moteurs Action, Art of Disney Animation, even Armageddon). Universal Studios uses this approach aswell and it works fine in my opinion. But please don't pretend that films were actually shot here (so no fake streetsets and axe the Studio Tram Tour).

QuoteI don't want to see Marvel in a new park. If Disney wants to use Marvel, they have to do it now. Avengers just became one of the most successful movies. They should use Marvel now. Since new rides will be based on the movies and not on the comics, I think Marvel fits perfectly into WDSP.

There are so many properties they could introduce or expand: Marvel's Avengers, Avatar, TRON, the Muppets. I can imagine Muppet Mobile Lab roaming around Production Courtyard interacting with guests, ElecTRONica's Laserman in Backlot or the addition of Jack Sparrow to Stars & Motorcars (and bring back the Cinefolies in Studio 1, or introduce the Citizens of Hollywood). I'm not sure though if Backlot has to be transformed to Marvel Studios, I would like to see different properties to show the diversity of Disney's filmlibrary and franchises.

beenmoff1

I agree that it would be terrible to rename the studios and that the new hotel should be studios themed.

However they do need to theme this park properly. When you enter the park the bit to your right as you enter should be pixar land (but with a better name), and they should replace animagique with a pixar style show (monsters inc?) and the genie spinner should be made pixar (the flying circus from a bugs' life?). All the music should be pixar with pixar only charecters.

When you go round to the left it should be marvel. The stunt show could easily be marvel themed, rockin rollercoaster should be Thor themed (travelling though space), armageddon should be the scene from wolverine where the adamantium is apllied (people forget x men is marvel...) the ratatouille cafe is going to move to be by the ride anyway so a marvel cafe, and they should retheme cinemagique to be marvel themed (from comics to the big screen style). They could then use the disney on stage building for another ride.

None of this involves actual building; only refuerbs and rethemes of old buildings. Still expensive, but not as much as it could be to retheme the studios properly.

Finally, for the central part of the studios should be true to the old film-making, holywood, stusdios theme. The art of animation and tower of terror could be included. If you look at it from above there is loads of room for the loading bay of the tram tour to be moved back creating massive new areas for development. the tram tour road could take you to the two movie scenes on a different route (although a new tram tour "scene" and some props would be nice...) and there is honestly loads of room back there to have a proper crack at doing a lovely studios theme. Without fake looking backdrops and the rest.

With all that said i love the studios; the attractions themselves are good it just needs to be a proper, full day, themed park. and BIGGER :-)
We're all disney obsessed i hope you realise....

natalie1313

I spend most of my time on a visit to disneyland paris in the studios park, i couldnt even imagine what beenmoff1 described. I hope they dont change it too much as personally im not a huge fan of change.

And changing the name would be a horrible idea

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "natalie1313"I spend most of my time on a visit to disneyland paris in the studios park, i couldnt even imagine what beenmoff1 described. I hope they dont change it too much as personally im not a huge fan of change.

And changing the name would be a horrible idea

Exactly!!

dmmosh69

A retheme of the studios would be very dramatic but unless they were going to a do a DCA refurb i cant see to much being added or astheticaliy changed but this may be becuase of lack of vision.

With it being an unusual collection, I cant imagine the right side being pixar themed because of tower of terror and the right side being marvel becuase of the tram tour, play house disney etc or will they go full out and just change it to the pixar studios theme park and adapt tower of terror, back lot tour etc.

It leads me to think when this transformation happens what will the the park be and called

Anthony

Agree with you all completely. If they're even considering changing the name they've lost the plot. Compared to DCA, which had a genuine problem with its image and became a byword for a poor day out, 'Walt Disney Studios Park' actually seems quite well understood and well regarded by the majority of visitors. We might grumble about the park on message boards, but it has never had the kind of high profile media backlash that DCA had.

And yet at DCA, they just dropped the possessive 's' and then proceeded to completely turn the park around. Changing the name would have been the biggest admission of a mistake possible, but they kept it and turned it into an incredibly strong park. It proved itself. They need to actually let Walt Disney Studios Park do the same.

Maybe it's just a legal requirement in the 1987 agreement that everything at Disneyland Paris must, at some point, undergo a name change? :-)

DGRavenswood

I don't think the quality of the park should be judged by the media backlash it created... theme parks in general have a lower media profile here in Europe. Yet, WDS requires much more help to be turned into a quality park than DCA.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Riebi

H
Quote from: "DGRavenswood"I don't think the quality of the park should be judged by the media backlash it created... theme parks in general have a lower media profile here in Europe. Yet, WDS requires much more help to be turned into a quality park than DCA.

yes! The name is the smallest problem of the park. what we get till today from the placemaking point of view is just the standard of the dca park - before the big makeover. and they stopped it in the middle. now all that parts are not comming very well together. another theme and another deepness of theme at every corner. thats now really hard to fix.  so why not thinking about what a studio of deams really mean. they will need a lot of money for that. but they should save the name. wds is perfect.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...