Disney's Hotel Santa Fe refurbishment — New "Cars" touches

Started by Kristof, July 30, 2010, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martyn

QuoteNot the worst idea ever, but potentially quite bad for the coherence of DLP's wonderful set of hotels. They currently all have such distinct, well-defined themes; so organic and free of corporate branding. Disney but not too Disney -- enough of a break from a day in the parks, but completely escapist at the same time.

I totally agree with that. The hotels are fab as they are. I think the colourful themed hotels at WDW look a bit tacky in my opinion.

BUT, in saying that, if they were to theme it to Cars, they wouldn't need to do too much really. The setting is already there, just need some cars dotted around now.lol

So in all, I like the idea, but just as long as this kind of move is for the Santa Fe ONLY.

DLP-Photos.com

I just returned from a holiday staying in the Santa Fe - I didn't see any beginning Cars themening or props - I hope it's just a new set of pictures on the wall. That would be fine - the hotel is in general need of a repainting and one could think that they would use this opportunity to take this idea a bit further.

For instance I saw a "house" completely new-painted (bright red) with one side being almost white. Not painted but it looked like the painting had been scratched off or something - maybe for a special painting of that wall?

The playground was also in refurbishment and closed off - maybe for some rethemening?

I wouldn't mind minor changes, but they must keep the original idea and theme and please stay away from the billboard!
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

MagicKenny

see this picture:

Kenny
Just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, what do we do, we dreaaamm

lauramumof3

i think it would be good, my boy would love it anyway!
Been to DLP many times when I was little and now with my own children. First time 1992 and th last time was 2012! Going in  November 2017, so exited cant wait :-)

dagobert

Poor Clint Eastwood!!! Another billboard a la Disney!

Is DLP-I responsible for this? Do they know that all hotels are themed to American regions? If they want to bring Cars characters into the hotel, they should do it the same way like they are doing it at Sequoia Lodge. I don't mind to have cars paintings or wallpaper in the rooms, but they should keep the overall theme of the hotel.

i love main st

:evil:  :evil:     noooooooo ......dont get me wrong, i do like cars and i know my son will love this , but this is to much..havnt we already had enough of this picture over in the studios... :evil:

Festival Disney

oh jeezzz is that for real? :shock:
Is it the exact same one that was on Studio 1?
Its sad that we're loosing are cohesive hotles set in all regions of America theme  :evil:
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Festival Disney

It is for real... I just did a quick snoop on DCP and found these...

Not subtle at all...  :roll: Let's hope we don't see cars charecters replacing the theming elements around the Hotel... or even a rename to the "Cozy Cone"  :|

Source: http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... htm#755704
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

dagobert

Thanks for the pictures.

Oh no. How can they do this to Clint Eastwood. After the last years and recent additions to the resort, I wouldn't be surprised if they would rename the hotel.

Is it really so important for Disney to have everything connected with characters?

Scissorsboi

I don't think it's terrible, after all, the Clint Eastwood was supposed to look like a Drive In Movie, and it's been replaced by a movie that fits the overall atmosphere. If they're going to do it, it'd be nice to see them clean up the actual buildings with the rooms. It's the hotel I've always felt looks a bit abandoned, so re-paint/theme the buildings to look like buildings you'd see around Radiator Springs, add in some nice new rock structures and have a general tidy up and I think the Cars theme could work. It'd still be a place in America (fitting the original hotels brief) but it'd be one made by Disney.

Of course the other option would be to accept that it's going Toon and make it an All-Star Resort like Pop Century at WDW..
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

RnRCj

I can't believe they have actually done this... :o

From now on there'll be a load of guests who see it as "the Cars Hotel" rather than the Sante Fe.

MattyD24

and there goes my first ever memory of Euro Disney  :evil:

how could they get rid of Clint, bad enough he isn't on the google earth 3d model... BUT COME ON!!!
 :roll:

Disneyland Paris
Disney\'s Hotel Santa Fe 1996, 1999, 2005
Davy Crockett Ranch 2011?

Walt Disney World Resort Florida
Off-Site 2002, 2008

dagobert

Quote from: "MattyD24"and there goes my first ever memory of Euro Disney  :evil:

how could they get rid of Clint, bad enough he isn't on the google earth 3d model... BUT COME ON!!!
 :roll:

The Santa Fe was our first Disney hotel and we have some great memories about the hotel. I always loved to see Clint Eastwood when entering the hotel parking lot.

Another bad decision by DLP-I. I really would shut down that branch of WDI and everything should be done in Glendale.

As RnRCJ already said, most people will now call it Cars hotel instead of Santa Fe. Another part of DLRP's history is gone. I think we have to live with the fact that Disney of today is just about connecting everything with characters. Nearly all new attractions are based on characters and I fear the same will hapen with the hotels.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "dagobert"Another bad decision by DLP-I. I really would shut down that branch of WDI and everything should be done in Glendale.

Um... do you know that for a fact or are you just bashing them for the sport of it?

In my own experience, DLPI (despite producing a few misses over the years) knows and protects the park's legacy way more effectively than most people realize, and their projects have definitely shown more respect for the park's original Imagineers (a few of which are working at DLPI, just by the way) than those of the Glendale branch.

However, they're not immune to internal company politics, and unfortunately many decisions taken by upper management today are market research-driven. If guests want characters everywhere (and I guess that unfortunately they do), then DLPI can't do much to prevent that.

CafeFantasia

"Nearly all new attractions are based on characters and I fear the same will hapen with the hotels."

Yep, all Pixar ones too:

- Toy Story Playland (Toy Story) 2010
- Crush's Coaster (Finding Nemo) 2007
- Cars Race Rally (Cars) 2007
- Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast (Toy Story) 2006

So lets think of Pixar movies to match up with the Disneyland Paris Resort Hotels:

- Disneyland Hotel (Up)
- Hotel New York (Monsters, Inc.)
- Newport Bay Club (Finding Nemo)
- Sequoia Lodge (A Bug's Life)
- Hotel Cheyenne (Woody, Toy Story)
- Hotel Santa Fe (Cars)

Perfect :-)