Disney's Hotel Santa Fe refurbishment — New "Cars" touches

Started by Kristof, July 30, 2010, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed-uk

Of course it's your opinion and as such I respect it. But I don't know what you mean about "all the last choices and adds are all about cheap characters etc" I don't see what was so original about a billboad advertising Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western film and what that has to do with hotel Santa Fe. It's OK to have an add for Clint Eastwood, but a billboard advertising one of Disney's own films at one of their hotels, no. But as I say Clint or Cars billboard I'm happy. I think they've replaced the billboard with Cars because the film and the characters in it are popular.
Ed & David

Soap

Quote from: "ed-uk"Of course it's your opinion and as such I respect it. But I don't know what you mean about "all the last choices and adds are all about cheap characters etc" I don't see what was so original about a billboad advertising Clint Eastwood in a spaghetti western film and what that has to do with hotel Santa Fe. It's OK to have an add for Clint Eastwood, but a billboard advertising one of Disney's own films at one of their hotels, no. But as I say Clint or Cars billboard I'm happy. I think they've replaced the billboard with Cars because the film and the characters in it are popular.

I understand the "why" in why they did this, but the thing is, the Clint Eastwood board was more like a random scenery thing then a marketing thing to the men or movie.
And for example on the character stuff: TSPL, SL Bambi adds, Mickey in Wild west show....
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

MissTinkerbell

Well, I like the billboard :)  It fits in with the rest of the hotel, and a sligth change of theme every 18 years can't be that bad. One billboard and some new bedspreads isn't to me a big deal. If the billboard is reprecenting a drive-in movie screen, wouldn't it be natural to change the "movie" once or twice in all those years as long as it stays with the theme?
I can understand that for many of you seeing Clint when arriving at the hotel is a happy memory (been to dlrp 5 times and always stayed at Santa Fe, so see your pionts), but if changeing the billboard means that they'll  put in some new plants and repaint the buildings, it can be a good change and you can make new memories ;) And once "inside" the hotel you really don't see the front of the billboard anyway ;)
Faith, trust and Pixie dust

Disneyland Paris]

ed-uk

The billboard never looked much like a movie screen to me, but if that's what it's ment to represent then quite rightly they can change the film now and again. And why not to a Disney film? People shouldn't be too surprised to find Disney Characters and references to Disney films at their Resort hotels. But if some  people find it over load and just advertising after a day in the theme park, they would do better staying at an off site hotel. I don't mind Disney useing Bambi in SL, anymore than I mind them decorating the rooms at the Disneyland hotel with Tinkerbell and Sleeping Beauty Castle, as long as it's tasteful and not done out like a childs bedroom. I don't view it as advertising myself, if Disney want to use their characters.
Ed & David

MissTinkerbell

Quote from: "ed-uk"The billboard never looked much like a movie screen to me, but if that's what it's ment to represent then quite rightly they can change the film now and again. And why not to a Disney film? People shouldn't be too surprised to find Disney Characters and references to Disney films at their Resort hotels. But if some  people find it over load and just advertising after a day in the theme park, they would do better staying at an off site hotel. I don't mind Disney useing Bambi in SL, anymore than I mind them decorating the rooms at the Disneyland hotel with Tinkerbell and Sleeping Beauty Castle, as long as it's tasteful and not done out like a childs bedroom. I don't view it as advertising myself, if Disney want to use their characters.

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread that it's supposed to resemble a drive-in, but I could have heard it somewhere else. (I could be wrong...) But I can see it with the carpark outside facing the billboard ;)

I totally agree with you about the the use of caracters and I personally love to see caracters when I go to dlrp, wherever they may show up :D  And as you say, as long as it's not like a childs room, it doesn't hurt (me) ;)

(I actually have a photo of that billboard from when they had it on studio 1, and I have to say I like it better at Santa Fe ;))
Faith, trust and Pixie dust

Disneyland Paris]

motr

Always wondered why Clint Eastwood was featured at Disney but I don't understand the more recent Disney stars becoming part of a hotel. Doesn't it make sense really to incorporate the current and next generations of Disney stars but also intergrating with the old too?

loladelorean

This seems to be a matter of personal opinion, but for me I can totally see why Disney made this decision. I agree with the previous poster who said that the hotel doesn't just need a billboard and bedsheets, it needs a serious overhaul. I've never stayed here - in fact, I've never even considered it because I think it looks dreadful, very barren and ugly.
That said, I think this Cars overlay makes the place a bit cheerier, the Cars billboard makes more sense than Clint Eastwood, and will probably make the hotel more appealing to families and fans of Cars (of which there are many)
To me it makes perfect sense to integrate Disney characters into the hotels, as long as it fits the original theme. It's a Disney resort, why shouldn't it be about characters? I think Cars fits the Route 66 theme of Santa Fe, and Bambi is a lovely idea for Sequoia Lodge. I say, thumbs up to Disney for incorporating both classic and new generation characters into the hotels - all of which need more TLC than this, but it's a start.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "loladelorean"It's a Disney resort, why shouldn't it be about characters?

And this is why I am now far more a Disney historian that a Disney fan these days. Sorry folks, the characters were really a small part of the Disney resort experience until relatively recently. I really do not like the characters at all. I would be happier if there were not one character to be found in the Disney resorts. And you know what? I bet I am not alone in that either.
since 2001 (many before that)

RiverRogue

To add some more background, I read in some book a while ago (Building a Dream? The Architecture of Reassurance? Once Upon an American Dream? I don't have all my books here in Paris...) that the architect, Antoine Predock, originally wanted a blank movie screen for the drive-in theater/parking. After a fierce debate with Disney management he finally relented and insisted on it being Clint Eastwood or nothing.

Now, I've never really been a huge fan of the Santa Fe... I find it somewhat too abstract and intellectual, too "cold," for a Disney resort. But I do respect an artist's vision for his project and I can appreciate the contrast he tried to achieve.

That said, his intentions for the Santa Fe were already compromised years ago when they changed the buildings' colors and added the Route 66 mural...

RockNRoller

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "loladelorean"It's a Disney resort, why shouldn't it be about characters?

And this is why I am now far more a Disney historian that a Disney fan these days. Sorry folks, the characters were really a small part of the Disney resort experience until relatively recently. I really do not like the characters at all. I would be happier if there were not one character to be found in the Disney resorts. And you know what? I bet I am not alone in that either.

I can see what you are saying Davewasbaloo, too many characters abound in the park these days and many of them are very similar and really only there for merchandising but if it wasnt for the characters there would be no Disney. How many of the rides wouldnt exist without characters and no parades at all, however you can have too many and throwing at the hotels doesnt paper over the many cracks in the hotels. The hotels should be a respite from the parks, an "oasis" of calm before a day of fantasy,adventure and memories.
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "RockNRoller"

I can see what you are saying Davewasbaloo, too many characters abound in the park these days and many of them are very similar and really only there for merchandising but if it wasnt for the characters there would be no Disney. How many of the rides wouldnt exist without characters and no parades at all, however you can have too many and throwing at the hotels doesnt paper over the many cracks in the hotels. The hotels should be a respite from the parks, an "oasis" of calm before a day of fantasy,adventure and memories.

I can honestly say, I can't think of one character experience in a Disney park that is a must do for me other than Splash Mountain (and most people haven't even seen Song of the South). For my kids, the only ones I can think of are Stitch Live and Buzz).

But our favs of Phantom Manor, Big Thunder, PotC, the Train, the Mark Twain, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Capt Eo, It's a Small World, Moteurs Action, Tower of Terror, Cinemagique, Rock n Roller Coaster, Soarin', Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, American Adventure, Spaceship Earth, most of Epcot and DAK all have little nothing to do with the characters. Yes, Disney became initially famous because of them, but when it comes to the parks and resorts in their 55 year history, only the last 15 have really been about pushing the characters, getting far worse during Iger's reign.

ed-uk

Do you like The Art of Disney Animation in the Studios, just wondering? Maybe Disney are pushing their characters because there's a demand for them. For some Disney theme park fans  it's about the characters, for others it's about the rides, but for most fans it's probably both. People enjoy the films and they like the characters. Just like with film stars, families queue up to meet them and get their autographs. Not that I do that.
Ed & David

RiverRogue

Quote from: "ed-uk"Maybe Disney are pushing their characters because there's a demand for them.

Yes, that's pretty much what I said in my post regarding market research. It's the safest approach, giving people what they know they want...

Of course, there's the story that people wanted to visit the Disney Studios in California and Walt thought it just wouldn't be all that interesting. So he came up with ideas to create some point of interest that people could visit instead... If Walt had just given them what they wanted, I guess Disneyland would never have happened...

loladelorean

I do not want to argue with you, I more than respect your opinion and am envious of your long history of Disney park visits!
I can't claim to be any more than a fan, and I'm happy to be one. I'm sure you're right that you're not alone in your views, but many of us are "ignorant" and happy to accept the characters as part of the resort experience.
Disney Visits
Oct 94 Cheyenne - Oct 00 WDW - April 03 WDW - Sept 06 DLP Day Trip - Sept 09 HNY - Nov 10 HNY - June 11 Sequoia Lodge- June 12 Sequoia Lodge - Sept 12 Cheyenne- Nov 12 Radisson - June 13 Dream Castle - Nov 14 HNY -
Feb 15 Dream Castle - Sept 15 Tokyo Disney Resort, Sheraton - Oct 15 DLP Day trip - Feb 16 Cheyenne - March 17 Newport Bay - Jan 18 Sequoia Lodge, Aug 18 daytrip

Upcoming: DLH Nov 18 - Hong Kong Disneyland, Explorers Lodge, March 19

davewasbaloo

I think the key thing here is balance. And I think that is what has been missing. Although the characters do nothing for me, I am not stupid, I know they are popular. However, if it were all about the characters, DLP would be no where near as popular. Butlins offers up character breakfasts with well known licences, but it is no where near as popular as Disney. But the key is to get the balance right, and as I have written with impirical evidence many times over, the last 10 years, 90% of Disney's attractions have focused on the characters.

Walt could have gone down the easy route with meet and greets, and if he replied to what people expected we would have had a park of coasters and big wheels. Instead he thought outside the box and gave us jungle river cruises, rockets to the moon (well back in the 50's then to Mars when space travel increased), rampaging pirates, submarine cruises and singing ghosts. How many punters would have asked for those? But how popular have they been? They led to an international proliferation of parks and resort buildings.

And it wasn't just Walt either. In Eiger's golden years he continued, giving us the finest designed MK park here in Europe, Tokyo Disney Sea, Animal Kingdom and of course some amazing hotels taking us to other parts of the world. That is the real Disney difference, and that is how they have created such a loyal following. The toons are only a part of the story.

Let's remind us of Walt's original vision for the parks:

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America... with hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."