Les Pirouettes du Vieux Moulin

Started by CentralPlazaPerson, January 25, 2010, 12:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPlazaPerson

I am very interested in this past ride which unfortunately closed a few years ago because of low capacity and loading.
I can't remember ever going on this ride but I still think it should be reconsidered to open again. I did a bit of research through wikipedia and from what I know there is more history to this ride than what people realise when the walk past it without even looking at it.

- The ride was based on Walt Disney's short movie The Old Mill which won the 1937 Academy Award for Best Short Subjects: Cartoons. !!! :shock:
-In 1994 it was voted #14 of the 50 Greatest Cartoons of all time by members of the animation field.
- It is ranked at the IMDb top short list as the 17th greatest short film ever.
- The ride itself was originally projected for Disneyland in 1954, but was discarded,only to be reconsidered to be built at Disneyland Paris 35 years later.

The loading dock for this ride still remains, all there is to do is get the ride itself up and running. I think if this ride reopened it would get a lot of attention especially as the attendance figures are rising. It would be extra special for those Disney fans who saw this ride working in its day!

Does anyone else think this ride should reopen? Maybe with a new theme? Maybe for the 20th anniversary?

CPP.

Timbo

I went on this when it first opened , and lovely as it looks ,there really isn't much to it !! it is very slow and takes an age to load and unload ,for a very short ride time ! there were some good views across the berm but that was about it. I read about the great history to the ride , and was delighted that it was built but I doubt how many regular guests would realise the significance of it ! I think only a Disney fan would know anything about it  ! Maybe they should open it for special Disney fan events  ?
Great photo ,by the way !!

pussinboots

I went on it once or twice as well... Don't remember it making much of an impression on me either, but then again it's just a small Ferris wheel. What rides like this add is a bit of kinetic energy.

It is unfortunate how it's just sitting there, though, as a sort of Parisian version of the Skyway stations. If they're ever in need of a relatively inexpensive ride to add capacity to Fantasyland, they could look into upgrading this ride. It would help if they redid the landscaping around it as well; one of the things that made the existing ride less than spectacular was that you only soared over the trees for about four seconds per cycle. But would it be possible to increase the capacity? Hmm.

By the way, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ventured to the old loading area. There isn't much to keep you away from there except the overgrown branches. Slightly spooky, no?

Disneyland Paris Treasures

I would love if they'd open it again, one more attraction is always a good thing and this one is beautiful and will indeed add some life and energy to that area. But - as they probably will never open it again because of the aforementioned reasons - I would prefer if they'd return the mill to its original state.

At least they have the windmill itself running again some times, although it was not during my visit in January.

Kristof

QuoteBy the way, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ventured to the old loading area.

Yeah, here are some pics.  

http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/d ... moulin.php

The queue was filled with urine and yes... feces at that time.

Willow

I think it should be open, regardless of the capacity issues. It wasn't anything special but it was still nice to go on.

It would only be a cheap attraction to run too.

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "Willow"I think it should be open, regardless of the capacity issues. It wasn't anything special but it was still nice to go on.

It would only be a cheap attraction to run too.

I totally agree. In times of high attendance this ride will at least keep the crowds moving as there will be one more attraction to visit in Fantasyland.

dagobert

Why did Disney close it? just because of low capacity? Then why did they build it in the first place? It opened a year or two later, or am I wrong. So I presume that Disney build it, because they needed more attractions.

When did it close by the way?

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: dagobertIt opened a year or two later, or am I wrong./quote]
You're right! It opened in 1993 along with Casey Jr and Storybook Land Boats.

Kristof

Small correction CentralPlazaPerson.  Les Pirouettes opened 30 June 1993.  Casey Jr. and Pays des Contes de Fées opened March 1994.  :)

http://www.photosmagiques.com/dlp_files/attractions_timeline/index.php

smurfy74

Good question above - why did they close this ride was it a mix of guest satisfaction and capacity or one of the other

dagobert

Is it actually possible to reopen this ride, or did they remove all the technical equipment required to operate it.

CentralPlazaPerson

Quote from: "dagobert"Is it actually possible to reopen this ride, or did they remove all the technical equipment required to operate it.
In photosmagiques pictures the technical equipment seems to be there.

Anthony

Quote from: "smurfy74"Good question above - why did they close this ride was it a mix of guest satisfaction and capacity or one of the other
It closed around 2000/2001, around the same time that the park was going into panic mode, closing things like the Keelboats and Agrabah Cafe, and letting refurbishments slip. Blame Jay Rasulo!

But yeah, the reason why it stays closed is probably a mix of everything said so far. Low capacity, long wait, very slow loading, so-so ride experience. There's not much incentive to reopen it at the moment.

CentralPlazaPerson

Well with Agrabah Cafe and Kneelboats reopening who's to say the old mill isn't next on the agenda?