[Rumour] Grizzly River Run

Started by Kristof, April 20, 2009, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehdi5

Quote from: "Masamune"My problem with this is that it sounds like you would get completely soaked on this ride. :( Considering the unpredictable weather, I personally wouldn't want to risk getting soaked at DLRP. Maybe in the Summer it would be OK, but in any other season I'd be too paranoid about a cold wind picking up or the sun going in.
GRR has a winter/summer mode just like Splash Mountain does, so maybe it won't be that much of a problem.

15yearsofMagic2008

OH MY GOD ! MY PRAYERS HAVE FINNALLY BEEN ANSWERED !

How long will it take to make ? And won't it be medium-or larged size because of constructions limits in France are very strict .
I want your love and i want your revenge you and me could write a bad romance

Don\'t call my name , don\'t call my name , Alejandro

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "15yearsofMagic2008"OH MY GOD ! MY PRAYERS HAVE FINNALLY BEEN ANSWERED !

How long will it take to make ? And won't it be medium-or larged size because of constructions limits in France are very strict .

It's just a rumour I'm afraid, but if it is built, it won't be for quite a few years yet (I can't see it opening before the 20th anniversary of the park) :wink:

miketwo68

that is really interesting that they would consider Grizzley Rapids for Paris.  I guess to a certain degreee it makes sense.  The attraction has a very sophisticated control system for the water effects.  The attraction sensors detect the surrounding weather temperatures and adjust water effects to avoid people getting too wet during cold weather.

Another reason i find it interesting that they have considered this for PAris is the fact that the same attraction has been considered for Epcot's Canada Pavilion, Hong Kong Disneyland Park and Tokyo Disney Sea.  If they were to at least get two of the four resorts to approve the idea they could easily combine costs.  Also the preliminary R and D are already done since the attraction already exists in Anaheim.

It would definately be a more cost effective water attractrion then Splash mountian which would be much more costly because of the large amounts of characters that need constant maintenance

TimmyTimmyTimmy

As with all rumours it would take YEARS before a thing like this would be built

CafeFantasia

As exciting as these rumours sound, it's really not worth thinking about them too much until construction actually starts. If construction starts, then you have a reason to get excited. But, trust me, you can see a lot of years go by, wishing for an attraction like Splash Mountain to be built. Chances are, in 10 years time, Disneyland Paris still won't have it, and there'll be another discussion just like this one, with people wondering when it will finally get built.

Really, the best thing to do is to visit one of the American resorts, and enjoy these attractions today, while you're still young :-) Skip a few trips to Disneyland Paris, and save up for Walt Disney World instead.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Alan"Really, the best thing to do is to visit one of the American resorts, and enjoy these attractions today, while you're still young :-) Skip a few trips to Disneyland Paris, and save up for Walt Disney World instead.

Or even better, Disneyland or Tokyo!!!  :D
since 2001 (many before that)

Magic M

I've always been a fan of these types of rides since I first rode the "Congo River Rapids" at Busch Gardens when I was just a kid.

Watching videos of the DCA version I think it would fit perfectly into the "monument valley" look of DLP's Frontierland.

Watching videos of Splash Mountain I think it looks just to "cute" and "cartoony" when thrill rides should be more threatening than inviting...

loaloa

Hello, I'l the one who found this blueprint, and i'm sorry to say that it won't probably come to DLP , and certainly not "anytime soon".
This blueprint was done many years ago, i would say 6 or 7 years ago, and i have not heard from my - very good - sources that the project was envisioned for the future attraction at DLP.
Better bet on Splash Mountain than Grizzly River Run...

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "loaloa"Hello, I'l the one who found this blueprint, and i'm sorry to say that it won't probably come to DLP , and certainly not "anytime soon".
This blueprint was done many years ago, i would say 6 or 7 years ago, and i have not heard from my - very good - sources that the project was envisioned for the future attraction at DLP.
Better bet on Splash Mountain than Grizzly River Run...

That's a shame, but thanks for telling us about it though :)

BrerDan

It's definitely an interesting premise, even if it is several years old and unlikely to be on any current drawing boards....

Having ridden GRR many times, I think a version of Grizzly River Run could actually fit in to a Frontierland quite well.  Alter the paint-tones just a bit to make it blend in a bit better, remove the (annoying) extreme sports overlay and the fit is near perfect.  If they were to add the animatronic animals currently in discussion for the California version, it could be really great.  

That said, I think the Parisian climate is a really big factor. As someone pointed out, California already has a winter version--this basically involves reducing the pressure of the jets pushing the water throughout the ride and at key points.  The thing is, even with this--most casual parkgoers have no idea it's any different.  I've read many times how attendance on GRR goes way down in the winter months, and how this has been a real problem given the ride's ability to "eat people."  Disney has apparently even looked into ways of adding a second attraction overlay on the same space to make better use of the land--one thought was to add a slow nature train chugging through the space (think of how Casey Jr goes over the Storybook Canal boats).

One other important consideration is that the real strength of Grizzly River Run isn't the ride itself, but how it is just gorgeous to sit and watch and walk around.  It really is the prettiest spot in all of California Adventure, and I know I've spent hours just enjoying this area.  With placement on the outskirts of Frontierland in DP, I think a lot of value would be lost since you wouldn't be able to walk around the attraction.  It would make a lot of sense to build this into the heart of a Hong Kong Disneyland Frontierland, perhaps--but less so in Paris.

Personally, I *do* think a Grizzly River Run could work well in Frontierland, but I also think that Splash Mountain would work even better for all the reasons folks have mentioned above.

Brer Dan

loaloa

Hi again. Just to tell you that i just had the info i was waiting for: this Grizzly River Run blueprint was done 10 years ago, and the architect team who worked on it spent two days on it, and then, it went nowhere, which means that WDI didn't go further in this project.

Forget about GRR, which obviously is not part of the race for the future attractions......and has never been. Sorry for the disappointment!

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "loaloa"Hi again. Just to tell you that i just had the info i was waiting for: this Grizzly River Run blueprint was done 10 years ago, and the architect team who worked on it spent two days on it, and then, it went nowhere, which means that WDI didn't go further in this project.

Forget about GRR, which obviously is not part of the race for the future attractions......and has never been. Sorry for the disappointment!

Wow, 10 years ago :shock: Well, I suppose it was quie fun to see how everyone has reacted to it :P

RnRCj

Quote from: "loaloa"Sorry for the disappointment!
Well it's good news for me! :lol: Splash Mountain would have a better impact on the resort, and I think it's a much better attraction too. GRR, though probably quite fun, I would find very annoying because of having to constantly turn my head to see the scenery!

Anthony

Wow. Well, we've questioned Grizzly River Run for Frontierland before, but I never would have thought someone would have put it onto the drawing board. The result? Ehhhh....

Quote from: "Alan"Grizzly River Run would be pretty good, but looking at that plan, it seems to be quite distant and removed from Frontierland. Would anyone be able to see the final drop in that location? It seems to be hidden behind the berm.
Yes, it looks more like the kind of home-Imagineering creation someone like myself might do, where you use Google Earth and just spot "hey, that'd fit there" and airlift it in.

Without going through the queue line and on the right, you'd never see more of the (amazing) theme than the bear's head poking up above the berm. And then when you're on the ride, you'd see hardly anything again because you'd be too busy getting soaked through. So a waste of millions of euros on themeing for an attraction you can't see that's useless in the Winter.

Quote from: "Kristof"Woody's Round Up is not designed by WDI or EDLI, but by Entertainment.  Glendale isn't even aware of Woody's Roundup Village.
And I'm sure Entertainment isn't even aware of Glendale. :wink: