It's Party Time... with Mickey and Friends (MMP)

Started by Kristof, November 24, 2008, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnsey313

Well I can say that this has to be the best job they've done of an event in years. Thats assuming they want to put everyone off going of course. Im sorry but the music is atrocious, the dancers unnecessary - along with learning dance moves, the fact it's five times a day, the fact that to say its 'mickey's magical party' the main dancer is on the stage for longer than mickey and the other characters.... I do like Mickey's costume however, But I'll probably be giving this year a miss (Unless you can convince me otherwise of course)......

NB: And to think I thought the whole Disney company was succumbing to High School Musicitas.....

Kristof

Quotethe main dancer is on the stage for longer than mickey and the other characters

Don't forget this was a preview with a few highlights.  Not that I'm defending the show...

Oh and as promised, here's my video of the entire show:

[dailymotion:ysxfwx6e]x8kq5r[/dailymotion:ysxfwx6e]

Kris

Hmm, I'm left feeling underwhelmed. I know there's no character playback and this isn't the actual performance, but it seems quite muddled. Quite similar in concept to It's Dance Time actually.

So there's dancers you have to copy. That's the same right?

If the whole dialogue of 'Sebastian' (surely it's better to call him a non-Disney character name?) is in English, why not cast someone for their English skills? He does an amazing job and I can't speak much French etc, but surely this would just help communicate with kids better – considering they have only started learning language themselves.

As for Timon's routine, that was beyond average :P Quite pathetic in fact. I'm really intrigued to see how this will work out and I'm still excited, just this smaller performance wasn't for me. On the other hand, Stitch's show surprised me a lot!

Thanks a million for the video :)
Grab a balloon, come on let\'s go!

Kinou

That's why they're building a special stage for in front of the castle ?
A casual dancing lessons with a few character ? That's beyond lame! Come on and see what they achieved in Tokyo damn it! Can't wait til 2010... 2009 looks stupid!
Hug it out bitch !

Anthony

The music is really good.

But...

• It's the blandest, most concept-less show I've ever seen. Kat de Blois says in her interview they meet at 9am every Wednesday to discuss all their ideas for future projects? Do they then put them through a paper shredder or something?!
• Agreed with Kris, why are we being taught how to dance in two shows?
• I completely lost interest during the Timon bit. If Mickey doesn't appear until after 10 minutes in the real version, there'll be people walking off. I'm guessing he must, surely, normally appear much earlier.
• I thought they killed the concept of live human hosts (at least a single person) a long time ago? Pleeease let the final show be hosted by Mickey himself. I can't bear this desperate shouting.
• The "costumes" of the male dancers look like the designers walked into the cheapest clothes shop in Val d'Europe and picked up the first thing they saw.
• Seriously, someone tell the choreographer that having the dancers clap their hands enthusiastically toward the audience for practically the entire show does not constitute entertainment. We know how to clap. If you do something entertaining, we'll do it.

I was hoping it'd more like a revue of popular Disney songs with the characters and dancers entertaining us onstage, rather than a "pleeease dance! pleeease clap! the world depends on it!" desperation-fest.

We'll see what April brings. For now, DLRP has just ripped my optimistic streak to shreds.

Kris

I'd hope that Mickey appears after the It's Party Time track... which I also hope will start the show. It's a great opener and will get everyone excited and jumping around. Mickey can then introduce (or be introduced) before some dancing happens. That background music is fine to warm up once, but to be used repetatively?

The girls' costumes are fine - I really like them. They boys in long sleaves does puzzle me though. Hmm

Jens

Amen Anthony, amen!

Now I understand why the EPC department isn't excited about this show either...

And what's with the couples??? Peter Pan & Donald, Baloo & Goofy? Strange choices!

Anthony

Quote from: "Kris"The girls' costumes are fine - I really like them.
I like their costumes too, and I forgot to say earlier I really like some of the different dance moves and styles they break into... Like they'd taken little hints from several European styles, Spanish and Irish particulary. I think zanderstarz mentioned this before, so hopefully that'll be stronger in the show.

I just watched the introduction again, and the announcer actually says there'll be a cast of 40 on the stage! Am I hearing that right?! He does also say this presentation was "taken exactly from the show" though, which is more than a little worrying.

The animation shows Snow White and Sleeping Beauty on one of the satellites, who really don't seem to fit with the show. It also shows gates in front of those stages, so we won't be around to stand around them.

Willow

Was it not mentioned that they have not finished the character voices yet?
That would probably explain the host.

I'm going to reserve judgement until the show is on its proper stage and when everything is completed.

Poppy The Monkey

There is going to be a live host on the show! And yes 40 in the cast per show, with about 30 dancers, most from Disneyland California, who have come over to do this show (also for stitch and to be singers and dancers for High School Musical Party).

A little more info: The dancers will open the show, and the characters will appear togegther via the understage lift, Mickey will arrive later in the show from the same lift.

Jens

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"There is going to be a live host on the show! And yes 40 in the cast per show, with about 30 dancers, most from Disneyland California, who have come over to do this show (also for stitch and to be singers and dancers for High School Musical Party).

So then why does the live host sound french? Couldn't they just have picked one of the dancers from California to do the english talking part? Or is the french guy one of your guys?

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"A little more info: The dancers will open the show, and the characters will appear togegther via the understage lift, Mickey will arrive later in the show from the same lift.

So the characters will walk to the stage, dissapear under it and then reappear again? I hope they will at least "sneak" Mickey into it using some sort of box that gets put next to a secret door or something? Or how will they do it?

Anyway, thanks for the info Poppy! But, what's with the weird coupling of for example Donald with Peter Pan? Do you know?

Kris

I'd imagine there's changing rooms inside for the characters to prepare themselves before their appearance

zanderstarz

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"A little more info: The dancers will open the show, and the characters will appear togegther via the understage lift, Mickey will arrive later in the show from the same lift.

Actually...the characters arrive from a different lift! There are 2 infact.
1 just for Mickey and the other for the rest of the characters (its very big!).

Quote from: "Willow"Was it not mentioned that they have not finished the character voices yet?
That would probably explain the host.

Very true...the voices are finally finished now, im pleased to say.

Quote from: "Kris"I'd imagine there's changing rooms inside for the characters to prepare themselves before their appearance

Only Mickey has his own private dressing room, ofcourse, he is the star  :wink:
~ just like we dreamed it ~

Captain Pan

I enjoyed the presentation... Mainly cause It was fun... and felt aimed toward the younger audience.

Choreography although basic, is vastly copyable without the Instruction! So The Host in my opinion could have been left out. I dare say Wendybird1 could pick it up with very little problems and she's got two left feet.

Watching that presentation makes me want to go find a musical theatre group who are doing shows set in the 50s right now! Where's a local theatre group doing HSM now?

Ant with respect to male "costumes" Don't wear an Orange Shirt, with a white t-shirt underneath into the park... people might get confused! That "Costume" is as you put it pants... Hopefully... They'll be a little more "Unique" come April 4th...

Thanks Kristof for the Clips...

Its still making me jealous... I wanna be in DLRP this Summer...  :(

Riebi

Quote from: "Kinou"That's why they're building a special stage for in front of the castle ?
A casual dancing lessons with a few character ? That's beyond lame! Come on and see what they achieved in Tokyo damn it! Can't wait til 2010... 2009 looks stupid!

Absolutly. That the lamest show I ´ve seen in my whole life...and for something like this they destroyed central plaza?????

Put the dancers back to california, please....I never seen such over-happy-clapping-zooombies (with this little "touch" in their hands like someone in the back would always saying "And teakettle-arm 2, 3, 4 and teakettle-hand 2,3,4). Fear.  :roll:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...