HKDL | Toy Story Land, Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Point

Started by Kristof, November 20, 2008, 07:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Press release:

With the addition of more than 30 new attractions, play and entertainment experiences, Hong Kong Disneyland's total number of rides and attractions will increase by almost 50 percent and top one hundred. When completed, the expansion will increase HKDL's physical footprint by approximately 23 percent; broaden the park's appeal by adding more experiences for young adults; and place increased focus on universally-understood stories. Using Guest feedback as a guide, these three new themed areas will create memorable guest experiences, drive strong word of mouth and repeat visitation, and offer many unique only-available-in-Hong-Kong attractions that feature Disney's immersive storytelling and innovative technology.

Grizzly Trail
Grizzly Gulch, Frontier Gold-Mining Town

The path along Grizzly Trail offers high-spirited frontier fun in an abandoned mining town called Grizzly Gulch, set amidst mountains and woods. The town was founded August 8, 1888 – the luckiest day of the luckiest month of the luckiest year – by prospectors looking to discover gold. Bears have now started causing havoc at the Big Grizzly Mountain Mining Company.

Key Technology and Creative Elements
• Guests visiting Grizzly Gulch are part of the action, experiencing hands-on water features, massive geysers and various leaking structures in the abandoned town.
• Life-size Audio-Animatronic® bears set the story in motion on Big Grizzly Mountain Coaster, an adventure aboard a runaway mine train through town. Guests careen backward down an incline that propels them through twists and turns, before a launch sequence "blasts" the mine train out of the mountain.
• A Wild West stagecoach, an old time Jail House, and the world's largest nugget of gold provide fun photo opportunities.
• Guests can relax with a Wild West refreshment at the old Saloon or shop for mining supplies and souvenirs at the Bear Necessities merchandise stand.

Mystic Point

Mystic Point is the site of mysterious forces and supernatural events in the heart of a dense, uncharted rain forest.

In Mystic Manor, home to an eccentric world traveler and adventurer and his collection of exotic international artifacts, strange things are afoot as an enchanted music box releases its magical powers, thanks to a mischievous monkey.

• Inside Mystic Manor, a trackless ride system enables vehicles to move "freely" about the attraction as the story unfolds. Audio-Animatronic® figures and special visual and audio effects help tell the story of mystical phenomena.
• Within Mystic Point lies a beautiful garden full of relics and mythological figures, where guests discover a hidden world of illusions and mysteries that trick the eye.
• Guests can dine at the Adventurer's Club amid a vast collection of unusual artifacts from around the world or purchase exclusive curiosities and collectibles at the Archive Shop.

Toy Story© Land
Disney·Pixar-themed Play Area for Kids of All Ages

Andy, the young boy from the Disney·Pixar Toy Story films, has left his toys unattended in this immersive and highly themed environment, based on one of Disney·Pixar's most popular film series. While Andy is away, the toys come to life and play...and Guests are invited to join!

• Oversized outdoor rides and photo opportunities allow Guests to experience the different perceptions of scale, and shrink to the size of a toy.
• One attraction includes a shuttle coaster which propels Guests along a U-shaped style track.
• A drop-style parachute attraction lets Guests join a "training mission," plunging from a 25m tall tower.
• Guests will enjoy fun, immersive and interactive environments with life-size toys.
• A themed food kiosk provides a barrel of fun snacks and refreshments and Guests can shop for Toy Story inspired collectibles at the merchandise location.

Press release source and images posted on Micechat by bennettshiu

Willow

Grizzily Trail sounds basically like Expedition Everest 2.0. Much better than a Big Thunder Mountain clone.

Mystic Point sounds very interesting, it could turn out to be a modern Phantom Manor/Haunted Mansion.

Toy Story Land sounds familiar.

Owain

And people were scared about seeing toy story playland from Disneyland Park, imagine it being a land inside Disneyland park in paris !  :lol:

The Butlin Boy

I've always wanted to go to all of the Disney parks around the world, but I've always at the same time said that it isn't worth going to HKDL at the moment. Now I have changed my judgement, and by the end of this expansion, I would be willing to travel all the way there :)

The expansion plan release well and truly starts off with a bang with the new Grizzly Trail area. The whole zone looks amazing. HKDL may not have a classic Frontierland, but this more than makes up for it. Of course, most attention here is on the new coaster; Big Grizzly Mountain Coaster, which in my opinion looks sensational. They've clearly taken the classic BTM concept and modernised it by throwing it Expedition Everest and the Grizzly River Rapids. This combination just looks incredible, and a lot of people will travel there just to ride it I'd imagine; I know I would. Could this be HKDL's equivalent of DLP's Space Mountain oppenning? I think so! :P

The Mystic Point area also looks brilliant. Like Grizzly Trail, I love how they have gone all out to create some brand new experiences. I cannot wait to see what this modernised version of Haunted Mansion will be like, and I cannot wait to see how they will incorporate the trackless system either, I can imagine that it will only make it a lot scarier and amazing to ride.

Toy Story Land. This is another thing that I was excited to see, not as a HKDL fan, but as a DLP fan, because as we already know, we will be seeing this in the Studios next year. I'll share my full opinions on it in the topic for the Paris version, but I will say that I am not sure about it's location here. Firstly, it isn't really what I'd expect to see in a Magic Kingdom Park. However, considering HKDL's situation, I do feel that it will be a good investment. I do also think that it would make more sense, and look a lot better if they opened it behind Fantasyland somewhere, not part of Fantasyland, but as a sub land like Toon Town is. It wouldn't be a huge difference, but it would seem more logical to me to find the entrance of it at the back of Fantasyland, than in the middle of a jungle in Adventureland. I'm also not terribly fond of the name either; it should either be something like Toy Story Playland, or Toy Land. I don't like how they've just called it Toy Story Land, it comes across so bland :|

Overall, this plan seems incredible, especially for HKDL. Hopefully, this is all that is needed to get the park back on track :)

dagobert

I have to say that the new attractions, except TSPL, are very interesting.

I don't know why, but I don't like the idea that the Disneyland Park will be changed from its classic layout. In my opinion every Disneyland Park should have a classic PM/HM and a classic PotC like Walt Disney envisioned it.

And I also think that there should be a Frontierland with BTM and not a Grizzly Trail. I would have preferred when they would use the money to build a Frontierland with BTM and PM/HM.

The Butlin Boy

Does anyone know the time line as to when each of these lands and attractions will be opening? :)

RnRCj

Grizzly Peak and Mystic Point sound alright to me. The attractions are unique, they're highly themed, they tell a story, and there's no toons. Good. :)

But why are all the new lands bunched up in the corner, beyond the railroad tracks? Not really going to be much room to expand in the future now, is there? :?

Toy Story Land... I don't want to talk about. Shame this expansion could be ruined by it.

Anthony

Strange, strange group of lands. I suppose there's something for everybody?

I liked the idea of having lands that are a bit more fully-realised beyond the berm, so that the railroad sits inside the park and has interest on both sides, but this doesn't seem right. I don't really like the layout of one single path trailing through these areas. I suppose it means there are no dead-ends like in Paris, but then here they're actually a good thing, they let you get immersed in the land rather than it just being one stop on a constant through-road of mis-matched themes.

How on earth Mystic Point leads to Toy Story Land I have no idea... In fact, what's the "point" of Mystic Point? A land just for one attraction, stuck in the middle there? Clearly, not expanding the Adventureland with a full Pirateland didn't leave many good options. I do love the design of the house though, and the trackless idea. Such a smart choice for a new Haunted Mansion.

Hopefully the Grizzly Trail area will at least eventually expand downwards into that obvious empty patch next to the Lion King theatre. There's still so much empty land around that theatre, in fact. Look at the plan of the park and they could fit another land entrance leading off the hub, once the Lion King gets old...

Edit: Oh, none of us have mocked that they're advertising this as "30 new attractions"! What are they on?! Is every single water fountain or bench now an "attraction"? Looking at the concept art, it seems like the park is getting another 3 water play areas...

lil-shawn

yeah the layout of the new lands is a lil bit odd, they just need to change
this grizzly land with the mystic manor thing and on the land that will be available
for a future expansion could be perfect for this piratesland...

so the way from this grizzly land to toystory playland and
from this maybe future piratesland to mystic manor. this would
be the best choise they could do. but as always there is something
that don´t seem right  :P

Anthony

The full PDF from HK government: http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr08-09/english ... 90-1-e.pdf

And a few interesting articles worth reading:

http://progresscityusa.com/archives/ins ... tment-here

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -plan.html

http://progresscityusa.com/archives/more-eastern-winds

So Toy Story Playland going to Hong Kong really was pretty much Disney saying "Oh you don't want to pay for development of a new land? Well, let's see what we've got... we'll just throw this in then."

Which means the concept art definitely is the Paris concept art, mirrored last minute.

The Butlin Boy

New concept art has been released:

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/ ... twork.html

Kristof

The Grizzly Trail trains look sad without a locomotive in front of it.

Willow

Quote from: "Kristof"The Grizzly Trail trains look sad without a locomotive in front of it.

I presume it will have a locomotive at the back like Expedition Everest.
Its probably going to be more like Expedition Everest than Big Thunder Mountain.

RnRCj

I'm still loving the look of Grizzly Trail and Mystic Point. The monkey in Mystic Manor reminds me a lot of Shiriki Utundu from Tokyo DisneySea.

Kristof

Quote from: "Willow"
Quote from: "Kristof"The Grizzly Trail trains look sad without a locomotive in front of it.

I presume it will have a locomotive at the back like Expedition Everest.
Its probably going to be more like Expedition Everest than Big Thunder Mountain.

Or not???