Beauty and the Beast - in Disney Digital 3D! (2010)

Started by Anthony, November 19, 2008, 05:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

QuoteVariety reports that Disney classic Beauty and the Beast is all set to get a 3-D makeover. According to the report, Disney is re-rendering Beauty and the Beast using its Disney Digital 3-D technology, and will release the film in 2010. The re-rendering process which is expected to take about nine months to complete will be overseen by original team of filmmakers, including producer Don Hahn and co-directors Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale. Disney plans to roll out 3-D versions of 10 other films over the next two years which include Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Up and Rapunzel.
Source

I can't imagine a 2D animated film being that great in 3D... wouldn't it just be like looking at a series of cardboard cut-outs?

The Butlin Boy

Interesting :-k , I'll be keeping an eye on this project :)

Adam

All the Pixar ones should be easier to rework in 3D, but I'm not sure about the rest. As Anthony said, a series of cardboard cut-outs is a perfect description!

Willow

It won't be 3D where various things are jumping out at you, it would be probably more 2.5D with the characters sticking out slightly.

I could see the dance scene looking especially cool. I have faith especially with the some of the original members of the production team will be working on it.

Alpop

That's assuming they aren't adding new parts to it.
They may re animate a forest scene where the horse is racing through the spooky woods. Or when the beast is tumbling across the roof could be good in 3D.

OR
that giant computer animated ballroom scene. A chandelier that is poking your eyes out.

Maybe this is the most anticipated production till pre-buttered sliced bread!! (my house anyway)

Captain Pan

I'm guessing this is part of Disney's re-release of the Movie from the Disney Vault!!

Well I hope so!

Like Butlin  Boy I will be keeping my eye on one of my favourite Disney Classics!

Javey74

I did watch an animation documentary once where 2D animation was moulded into 3D using a complex 'Computer Global Positionary Movement software [CGPM].  It looked quite good, but it's not easy to do, especially over a feature length.. :shock:

I think the idea of 2.5D is more likely here.. :wink:  :D

Patrick

This sounds very strange, yet interesting, will be good to see how it will work out, also great to see Disney going back to its roots at re-releasing their classics at cinemas as well :D .  I agree the ballroom scene will no doubt work very well, after all the whole scene was computer animated anyway :wink: .

Owain

Quote from: "hostile"what does cardboard cutouts have to do with it?

When you think of hand drawn animation and then make it 3D you just think of it ending up looking like cardboard cutouts   :lol:

BroadwayBelle

When I first heard about the Beauty and the Beast release in 3D - I was pretty skeptical!  Beauty and the Beast is my all-time favorite movie, and the true essence of a classic animated Disney film.  Like others mentioned, I was envisioning all sorts of silly things being done with the animation - the stuff that we are used to seeing in the shows at the Disney Parks, Fozzie Bear describes these effects in Disney's Hollywood Studio's Muppet Vision 4-D's as "cheap 3-D tricks."  Would Belle be a cut-out cardboard style effect?  Would Chip splash/spray water as he's in the sink bathing?  I could not believe that they would do so many cheesy things to such a beautifully animated film.

. . .but then in 2007 I was reintroduced to  "Working for Peanuts," the 1953 animated Chip and Dale short that used to play prior to the Kodak sponsored Magic Journeys 3-D film from Walt Disney World in the late 80's/early 90's.  In 2007 "Working for Peanuts" was remastered and rereleased for the opening of Meet the Robinsons.  The 3-D animation in Working for Peanuts is so subtle and classy - far from the 4-D experiences.  

I will certainly be giving the films in 3-D a chance. . .granted, I'd put up with just about any kind of film addition to see Beauty and the Beast on the big screen again.  When it came out on the IMAX films in 2001, I saw it 6 times - and the closest IMAX was 3 hours away!

Anthony

Beauty and the Beast in Disney Digital 3D has been announced!!

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (In Disney Digital 3D™)

Walt Disney Pictures' magical animated classic BEAUTY AND THE BEAST returns to the big screen in Disney Digital 3D™, introducing a whole new generation to the Disney classic with stunning new 3D imagery. Opening Feb. 12, 2010, the film captures the fantastic journey of Belle (voice of PAIGE O'HARA), a bright and beautiful young woman who's taken prisoner by a hideous beast (voice of ROBBY BENSON) in his castle. Despite her precarious situation, Belle befriends the castle's enchanted staff—a teapot, a candelabra and a mantel clock, among others—and ultimately learns to see beneath the Beast's exterior to discover the heart and soul of a prince. Featuring unforgettable music by Howard Ashman and Alan Menken, and an enormously talented vocal ensemble, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST was the first—and only—animated feature to receive a Best Picture nomination from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Source via the DisneyPictures twitter

peep

Cool, great timing too, Feb half term. Although is that the USA release date? Hmm, hopefully UK and Europe will get a similar date.

I think it'll be really awesome to see this in Digital, not sure about 3D but it's Disney and at the moment they seem to be the only peeps that understand how it works. So will be looking forward to it.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Anthony

Quote from: "peep"Cool, great timing too, Feb half term. Although is that the USA release date? Hmm, hopefully UK and Europe will get a similar date.
That's a good point. We'll be seeing The Princess and the Frog in February 2010, so Beauty and the Beast will come Easter at the earliest... it's really not much of a "Summer" film to me.

Presuming it will find its way beyond the USA. I suppose it's a good lead-in to the blu-ray, though?

mehdi5

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "peep"Cool, great timing too, Feb half term. Although is that the USA release date? Hmm, hopefully UK and Europe will get a similar date.
That's a good point. We'll be seeing The Princess and the Frog in February 2010, so Beauty and the Beast will come Easter at the earliest... it's really not much of a "Summer" film to me.

Presuming it will find its way beyond the USA. I suppose it's a good lead-in to the blu-ray, though?
If the proces included re-animating some parts it could lead to the Blu-Ray, since it has to be rendered in 1080p anyway.

Clarebelle

The digital 3-D re-release of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, previously scheduled to arrive in theatres next month(USA), has been postponed indefinitely and possibly even permanently shelved by Disney.

source: http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/01/06/bea ... efinitely/
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]