Disney's Once Upon a Dream Parade

Started by Kristof, January 16, 2006, 07:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Thanks for this very interesting post, Dave. It's always great to read your comparisons to other Disney parks.

Americans are indeed more interactive than Europeans. They enjoyed being part of the craziest things and sometimes I felt a bit embaressed for those guests, because everyone was looking an laughing at them, but they enjoyed it and had a lot of fun.

Like Peter mentioned, Europe is a tricky market. While Spanish visitors like to participate, at least I got the impression during our four visits, Germans enjoy just the parks, the attractions and shows, but don't want to participate in anything.

DopeyDad

I think you'd probably find a broad consensus on that point, many European visitors want to experience/spectate but would rather not feel forced to participate. And yes the different languages must make managing an interactive event like herding cats. I wonder why they keep trying it though? I thought the Discovery land Stitch dance event was embarrassing and didn't look very successful at all.

Dave, I'm glad you expanded on your point btw.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "DopeyDad"Dave, I'm glad you expanded on your point btw.

My pleasure. Sometimes time constraints of work and family get in the way. Ultimately, I like a lot of the things that make DLP and it's market unique. I am hard on it as I know it has the potential to still be the greatest resort if we had the right management team (and money - lol). When I point something out, there is a purpose. The only market I enjoy slamming is the WDW one  :-"  (kidding, kind of).

But yes, they need to make appropriate choices.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Here's my fav interactivity at DLP, then again I have always loved being a part of it:

[youtube:3lh2cjo7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_YXKGlmA0[/youtube:3lh2cjo7]

DopeyDad

he he, now I love that you got stuck in, but if we were going to use one thing to point out the differences between Brits and Americans, that would be it for me =D>
Now, where's my cuppa

aliscrapper

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Here's my fav interactivity at DLP, then again I have always loved being a part of it:

[youtube:1ttuagwj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_YXKGlmA0[/youtube:1ttuagwj]

Cool! :thumbs:

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "DopeyDad"he he, now I love that you got stuck in, but if we were going to use one thing to point out the differences between Brits and Americans, that would be it for me =D>
Now, where's my cuppa

To be honest, I feel pretty international. Lived in the US for 11 years all over California and Nevada. Lived in the UK for 25 years (worked in every local authority in the UK and Ireland, as well as working in Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, France, Africa, Hong Kong, Dubai, and State of Victoria Australia. Been to all the continents other than Antartica (on the bucket list). My BSc is in International Relations, and I am a social scientist today, it is my job to do these sorts of comparisons and develop plans. there are things I love and hate about my birthplace, my adoptive home, and many of the places I have been and would like to go.

In fact, it is the international vibe I really dig about DLP most of all - seeing people from so many languages and cultures enjoying themselves at the same time is just amazing and unifying IMHO. Walt's vision of EPCOT if you will, or It's a Small world. I have also seen it get pretty ugly for similar reasons, and I think a mix of that, the weather, and some bonehead management choices also up the stress factor for a lot of guests over the other resorts too.

DopeyDad

Absolutely, the cultural differences can be what make DLP so special, like when they get the bilingual aspects so right (Motuers action or Animagique say). It introduces us and our children to the differences which is great. But you're right, how come DLP aren't better at managing these differences, why the heavy interactive emphasis on this years entertainment and the very Francophile Hub show?

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "DisneyBud"I saw someone post on twitter that the interactive stops have already been removed, can anyone confirm or deny?

They are coming back for when the festival starts officially. They was only used at the weekend for the press event. So sadly the stops are here to stay for a while anyway.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Festival Disney

Video of the Mary Poppins stop from earlier today (6th April)
Notice parade is going past the AP office because of the floor works at the Castle stage.
[youtube:zmxgg8zg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maff3tlRSP4[/youtube:zmxgg8zg]
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

TowMater

Looks like something is wrong on the Friendship float.

[youtube:2pb396mu]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLv8MTKQBb4[/youtube:2pb396mu]
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

Josh

I hope they managed to fix it! Was that black smoke that I could see? :?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Festival Disney

Quote from: "Meph"I hope they managed to fix it! Was that black smoke that I could see? :?
No, that's the "smoke" from the chimney's on the Winnie the Pooh half of the float :P
It looks as though it just stalled, so they brought out the little buggy to pull it. The same happened when Dreams of Romance (2) crashed into the pavement near the Town Square parade exit a few years back.
[youtube:38lwzwrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mVE5LEIl8k&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube:38lwzwrs]
[youtube:38lwzwrs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxEhrSbstV0[/youtube:38lwzwrs]
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Josh

Oh, lol. ^^ Well, I guess you can't always go without a hitch.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

hawian rollercoaster

so the parade stops are here to stay.