Expansion of Walt Disney Studios?

Started by dagobert, May 27, 2008, 04:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Although if we had a Hollywood Set, then a San Francisco Set, we would then have good reason for a Soarin' over California.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"The SF sets at DHS are nice and detailed, but they're also just sets. They contain no rides, shops or restaurants and the "ooh, look it's all forced perspective" gag wears off awfully soon.
Well, don't forget most of those sets at DHS were built back when they planned to use the park to actually shoot movies, weren't they? So they were planned to be shut to the public a fair amount of the time and have only more recently been passed off as a real part of the park.

If they build street sets at WDS, we can't assume they won't integrate attractions, shops, restaurants, etc, into them.

The rumours of San Francisco are quite refreshing, I'd have guessed New York. But, since we already have Hotel New York, and no hotels themed to Hollywood or SF, it might make sense.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Baloo"Well, don't forget most of those sets at DHS were built back when they planned to use the park to actually shoot movies, weren't they? So they were planned to be shut to the public a fair amount of the time and have only more recently been passed off as a real part of the park.

If they build street sets at WDS, we can't assume they won't integrate attractions, shops, restaurants, etc, into them.

The rumours of San Francisco are quite refreshing, I'd have guessed New York. But, since we already have Hotel New York, and no hotels themed to Hollywood or SF, it might make sense.

I'm not too familiar with the history of DHS, although I know that that particular area used to be a part of the Tram Tour and was inaccessible to guests otherwise. But interesting.

Okay, this is just my opinion (and Kevin Yee's, but people hate him too, haha. Darn foamers!). It's just that they have a real chance here to make things right for the WDS, and I really hope they don't screw it up.
Disney is on the right track -- DCA, which includes a studio section, is getting an immersification makeover. The WDS' ToT was built without any tacky faux film set crap (that is to say, it wants you to feel like you're in the Hollywood Tower Hotel, not a set of a movie "where you're the star" or similar advertising copy nonsense). It's obvious that this unnecessarily complex, postmodern "it looks real but it's actually a set which is actually fake" stuff is not the zenith of the Disney experience, and in this post-Pressler era, Disney is slowly steering away from it. Perhaps with the exception of Epcot, the ambition of every Disney park is now pretty much to be as close to Tokyo DisneySea as possible. Hyperbolically speaking of course. You know what I mean.

We haven't the faintest clue what they're planning to do once the Hollywood backdrops bite the dust, so this is -- to say the least -- premature. But I really hope they continue on the path that started with the wonderful ToT and not attempt to become this fake Universal Studios, because that's just not worth it.

Yesitsme

Just found this little article on Toy Story Mania which I think may be news worthy, is this confirmation of a Ratatouille ride?

Link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/25210747

There's no question that Pixar is an increasingly important driver of Disney parks. The last big attraction Disneyland launched was its "Finding Nemo" Submarine ride last year, it's working on a big "Cars" attraction for Disneyland and a "Ratatouille" ride for Euro Disney outside Paris. All these rides further proof of the fact that Disney's acquisition of Pixar was about much more than just a movie studio, it was about building brands to exploit across all its platforms, which is CEO Bob Iger's big strategy.

Captain Pan

GREAT Find...

But I found this section most interesting...
Quote from: "http://www.cnbc.com/id/25210747"Pixar's next movie, "Wall-E," is opening a week from Friday, and Lasseter tells me it's great. Perhaps even more importantly he also mentioned that it could make a great theme park attraction.

Well It would be for Lasseter to say the movies great... but to already be pitching the ideas for an attraction on WALL-E without its cinematic release, Lasseter is really fulfilling the quote I use for my signature... And without the need to jump through the normal hoops of Imagineering we could be see yet another Pixar attraction in the parks... (Not that I'm Complaining)

Yesitsme

Quote from: "Captain Pan"GREAT Find...

But I found this section most interesting...
Quote from: "http://www.cnbc.com/id/25210747"Pixar's next movie, "Wall-E," is opening a week from Friday, and Lasseter tells me it's great. Perhaps even more importantly he also mentioned that it could make a great theme park attraction.

Well It would be for Lasseter to say the movies great... but to already be pitching the ideas for an attraction on WALL-E without its cinematic release, Lasseter is really fulfilling the quote I use for my signature... And without the need to jump through the normal hoops of Imagineering we could be see yet another Pixar attraction in the parks... (Not that I'm Complaining)

I didn't even notice that bit, well spotted!

I really do hope that they theme Ratatouille and the surrounding area well, I would not like to see another studio building like they did with Crush. Plus this is the perfect oportunity to get a fountain put in, if you remember there is a beautiful fountain outside Gastreaus' restaurant in the film.

I have a great pic of it but I'm not sure how to attach on here.

lil-shawn

Good i found this old topic befor i start a new one with the same stuff....

now we have a lot of new rumours here, lets imagineer how we can
make the WDS more interresting and bigger, beautyfull ect.

my idea is to combinate The Backlot and Prod. Courtyard with the Hollywood Theme and make
to an own land, the hollywood blvd. need extansion across the tram tour station and a new street lets say Sunset blvd. between moteurs action and armageddon across the tram tour route to make a little circuit. The entrance to RnRc get a style like the one in orlando, the armageddon building will get a new style, like a lot of hollywood houses ore something else.
behind TOT when the two streets come together there is space open for restaurants and shops or a little garden....

the street behind AoDA will not connecting toon studios and hollywood blvd, because there are new buildings for the street so u come into toon studios from the circuit on top of the hollywood blvd. so now we have enough space to make this toony land bigger and the studios get good pathways, a structure and style.. and someday they will find new stuff like the new york street or something like this to make a new land and to complete the circuit....

how u like this idea? i didn´t put any attraction or special restaurant in this cause i don´t really know what to put in  :P
now its your turn, imagineer ur idea to make the studios bigger, better, more beautyfull ect...

15yearsofMagic2008

I thought there already was a Hollywood Boulevard , were the tower of terror is, because when i went there in febuary this year , a sign said 'welcome to Hollywood Boulevard' Don't know if it was though  :?
I want your love and i want your revenge you and me could write a bad romance

Don\'t call my name , don\'t call my name , Alejandro

Owain

Quote from: "15yearsofMagic2008"I thought there already was a Hollywood Boulevard , were the tower of terror is, because when i went there in febuary this year , a sign said 'welcome to Hollywood Boulevard' Don't know if it was though  :?

It is Hollywood Boulevard  :P
People are just talking about expanding it further  :)

15yearsofMagic2008

How big will it be ?
I want your love and i want your revenge you and me could write a bad romance

Don\'t call my name , don\'t call my name , Alejandro