Expansion of Walt Disney Studios?

Started by dagobert, May 27, 2008, 04:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Wow, I wonder what this could be?  I would not be surprised if it were Toy Story Mania.  Now that the R&D is complete and it is screen technology, it would be fairly cheap to install compared to other dark rides (especially if they cut out the Mr Potato Head), it would be a much needed family friendly dark ride and it would fit the theme of the place.  The down side would be that it is similar to the last dark ride on property - Buzz.

Or could it be a much needed table service restaurant? Or maybe Philharmagic?

At any rate, even if it were a toilet (though unlikely since there is already one at the back of Animation), it is very exciting.
since 2001 (many before that)

Japper

I think it's the Ratatouille dark ride :)

Soap

Oelalala what is going to happen there??? Let te speculation begin  :P
Thanks for sharing Kristoff ;)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Kristof

Quote from: "Japper"I think it's the Ratatouille dark ride :)

Don't you think the space is a bit too small for a dark ride?  I mean, it would need a decent backstage area as well for the ride vehicles etc.  I'm just thinking, does it HAVE to be an attraction with ride vehicles?  It could be a restaurant, or a boutique or maybe even a few small attractions put together like a bugs land in DCA.

Stitch

Hehe... but we like rides Raptor... hehe... well not me... I'm a chicken when it comes to the scary rides!
-Jenn@

never2old

so are you going to try ToT on your next visit?  :wink:

I agree that they need more family friendly rides in the Studios...

RnRCj

Quote from: "raptor1982"Grandmath reports on Disney Central Plaza that height tests with coloured balloons were performed today on the grass behind Art of Disney Animation.  :wink:

Interesting. :-k I'm personally hoping for a dark ride, but I think a restaurant would probably be better for the park. Or maybe just a themed area with no rides? Did Grandmath say how high the baloons were?

Remco K.

Quote from: "RnRCj"Did Grandmath say how high the baloons were?
I guess he left his camera at home that day? Or perhaps he still has to upload them. I suppose he would've made pictures of them! :lol:

Grandmath

Hello to all! ;)

The balloon (yes, they used just one, but they moved it around at different locations) was pretty high, mm maybe as high as Crush's Coaster main building. Seems pretty tall for a dark ride, but yet again, we don't know what is planned there. Maybe the DR will be built on several levels, such as Phantom Manor or POTC.

As for the space, in fact don't consider that the grass area is the perimeter for the building. I saw an expansion map with this building on it, it was stuck to the Costuming building, and expanded on the current tram tour road. Therefore the Tram Tour station was relocated as well, to fit with this new building (and allowing for the extension of Hollywood Boulevard).

I'm sure that this is some signs of larger things to come, not just a simple building on the grass area. Tram Tour is surely being involved too... but then again, we'll see in a few months!  :D

ps: no i didn't make any pictures, as I didn't have my camera.

Kristof

Thanks for sharing Grandmath!  Expanding over the Tram Tour route just proves to what extend Imagineering is going to make up for the mistakes of the past.  Exciting times once again for a WDSfan!  :mrgreen:

Remco K.

This news sounds very exciting! Thanks for sharing! Always take your camera with you... :mrgreen: Just kidding.

It's indeed always good to hear when Imagineering isn't taking any limits. It was already expected by some rumours, but now it becomes more clear every day that the area will probably be looking very different in a few years. Probably unrecognizable from its current situation.

Hooray for WDS! :D

Riebi

Indeed Hooray for Hollywood and the Walt Disney Studios!

Seems that we get an more then one full day park in the next year and I like that idea very much!
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Malin

With the reports I've heard in the past about it being difficult to find a table to sit at to eat during the peak days and also the fact that this side of the park has no Restaurant of any kind I'm putting a bet on it being a new restaurant.

Kristof

DCP member Elessar snapped a photo of a group of Imagineers in front of the Studio Tram Tour station.  

He overheard them saying things like "what do you think of option 1 or option 5, ..."

But the most interesting thing Elessar heard was: "So the guests walk past that area and then see San Francisco"....

:shock:

pussinboots

Quote from: "raptor1982"But the most interesting thing Elessar heard was: "So the guests walk past that area and then see San Francisco"....

:shock:

Yes, I read that too... The most obvious guess is that they are entertaining the idea of copying DHS' San Francisco set. As excited as I am about all this knocking-down-the-backdrop expansion talk, I can't say I'm thrilled at that thought.

The SF sets at DHS are nice and detailed, but they're also just sets. They contain no rides, shops or restaurants and the "ooh, look it's all forced perspective" gag wears off awfully soon.

At DCA's Hollywood Pictures Backlot, that it's-all-a-set gag is to to be replaced by a traditional, immersive Disney atmosphere as part of the $1 billion makeover. Building a big SF set at the WDS would be failing to learn from that mistake.

Of course, it's all wild speculation...