Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

You see Timbo, I personally would rather wait 5 years between additions and continue to get blown away. This is how Disney used to do this. The more "make do" attractions we get, the less special the place gets, the less people are likely to want to travel or stay longer there. That is my legitimate concern.

I am not a fan of Winnie the Pooh, but if they built a Winnie the Pooh dark ride I could understand, it would be popular, people of all ages could ride in all weathers, it is a Disney only style attraction, and even people who are not fans of the bear would probably enjoy it. And I am not even talking the Tokyo version.

Or even better, give us something Hollywood - a gangster ride, maybe a Great Muppet Movie Ride, or an adventure where they take the plot of Animagigue and bring it to life in a ride through experience. Something like a Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin. There are so many opportunities that fit in this park.
since 2001 (many before that)

Timbo

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"You see Timbo, I personally would rather wait 5 years between additions and continue to get blown away.
Me too !! but I think Disney want the quick fix for the Studios ,rather than the long term highly themed impressive rides  :(

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "Anthony"Looking on Google Maps, imagining the sightlines and being very optimistic, we hopefully shouldn't have a problem. Enough conditionals? :lol:

From Thunder Mesa the Parachute Drop will be behind Crush, futher away and not as tall as it. RC Racer is to the left, but really only a few metres closer than ToT. From ground level in Frontierland it'll be fine, won't it? ...
God, I hope you're right. I tried to interpolate size and position of the parachute tower from the pic above (this one) and the sightlines "should" be something like this:

Actually it could be the berm of Phantom Manor that saves us for most part of Thunder Mesa, couldn't it?

Don't know about the position and height of that halfpipe thingy though.

Disneydavid

Dont forget that the building is in front of the ride ;)
But its another tower where we can make nice pics or videos in the air !

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

littlemermaid83

Well, maybe my DD is in the minority because at 4 years old she is excited about a whole land dedicated to Toy Story.

I'm still on the fence, but i agree with what others have said I think Toy Story has had its day in the parks (not that it should be disgarded altogether), it would of just been nice to of had something different.  These newly themed rides just look like a complete waste of money.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Disneydavid

Quotenewly themed rides just look like a complete waste of money.

I disagree with you about this subject ; its not a waste of money. Everything what disney does for the visitor is a ngood sign , even if you dont like it. Sure , I rather have Soarin , The Great Movie Ride , Ratatoille or a nice thrillride.
But see it like this , now we got another new thrillride which makes the studios a bit more better!

I hope they add fastpass for the big halfpipe!

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

andrewuk

Quote from: "Disneydavid"
QuoteI hope they add fastpass for the big halfpipe!

That was probably the plan when they were going to have 2 halfpipes (one with fp, one without), it might still be. If the flying carpets can have fp, then they could put it on any of these rides.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Anthony

Quote from: "andrewuk"That was probably the plan when they were going to have 2 halfpipes (one with fp, one without), it might still be. If the flying carpets can have fp, then they could put it on any of these rides.
Not RC Racer though... Carpets has 16 flying carpets each holding 4 people. RC (far as we know) has one car holding 16 people. I've still yet to understand how this won't be a complete and utter disaster. Maybe they're just trying to distract guests' anger away from Crush?

Parachute Drop might be a likely candidate... but for anyone wondering, we've so far seen no mention of Fastpass at all.

As discussed previously, their philosophy here seems to be "don't build high-capacity rides, build high-capacity queues".

Willow

Have we actually had comfirmation about who is building the Halfpipe?
Last I heard was the rumour that Zamperla are building a custom version (which would surely be the 40 person version)
or, if its the Intamin version it will surely be the 36 person version?

Anthony

I think it's based on the Zamperla Disko Coaster, only taller than it is long, if you see what I mean. See these:

http://www.thecoastercritic.com/wp-cont ... dameer.jpg

http://images4.hiboox.com/images/2908/a ... 8e2d08.jpg

http://images4.hiboox.com/images/2908/9 ... c2516b.jpg

http://www.coasterfriends.de/forum/atta ... _8_400.jpg

The round steel supports which come out at an angle (more noticeable in that first image) match what we've seen of RC Racer. In the bear-themed one above, there's then quite an ugly square steel frame going up to the tip of the halfpipe, but it's not unthinkable that Zamperla could move the angled, round support further out and further up, supporting the larger halfpipe fully by itself.

Mostly, the flat Hot Wheels track matches Zamperla. Intamin Halfpipes have much more, well "Intamin" type track... more boxy and coaster-like, you know. So Custom Disko Coaster would be my guess.

As for capacity, count the number seats in your signature there. :?

Willow

It would be very silly for Disney to only have 16 seats (like as shown in my signature/the park map) when there are opportunities for other models which are more than double the capacity.

The only way 16 seats would be feasible is if we are looking at a pretty short ride cycle.

Surely management have learnt their lessons from Crush's Coaster?

Anthony

Quote from: "Willow"It would be very silly for Disney to only have 16 seats (like as shown in my signature/the park map) when there are opportunities for other models which are more than double the capacity.
I suppose there are, but it's fitting that many people inside an RC-styled car, since that's what they've insisted on. All of these rides are really great concepts for what they are, just not very practical in the Disney park world.

Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop will have a grand capacity of 18 per ride cycle (3 people per parachute, 6 parachutes) whilst Slinky Dog Spin offers the positively E-Ticket worthy 40 people (2 people per spring, 20 springs).

Interestingly the old plan appears to show the Parachute Drop with two entrances, hinting at Fastpass, whereas the final model has the main entrance on the other side with an extra queue building instead.

arcticjunkie

personally i think it'd be better if they didnt just focus on toy story but built a new ride for each of the pixar films they havent yet intepreted, they could eep the r.c. racer thing but then there should be a monsters inc. ride, a wall.e. ride and a ratatouille ride as well ;D x

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "Disneydavid"
Quotenewly themed rides just look like a complete waste of money.

I disagree with you about this subject ; its not a waste of money. Everything what disney does for the visitor is a ngood sign , even if you dont like it. Sure , I rather have Soarin , The Great Movie Ride , Ratatoille or a nice thrillride.
But see it like this , now we got another new thrillride which makes the studios a bit more better!

Maybe so, but i would rather they spent the money they don't have on a decent attraction.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Disneydavid

I know , its not that good quality of photo... however , for movie...

I did my best!

For iTunes ] and MP3!