Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed-uk

When the Studios first opened it only had two rides, the Flying Carpets and Rock n' Roller Coaster. It was mostly made up of show and the park was very thin on themeing. I think Disney have started to address these issues over the last few years.
Ed & David

MagicStar

Uhhhhh - I´m a bit relieved. Looks like the trees could hide most of the bare steel!
Does anybody know how they will hide the costume building?

Quote from: "Alan"Will any of these 3 new rides be Adult friendly? Will they be rides that you can go on, without a kid, without feeling like a complete idiot? I hope that the half-pipe, at least, is an Adult attraction.

Yeah - The first time I tried to ride Cars... ehhhhh :roll:  Lets say it felt a bit like my legs died of  :P  So I really hope these are attractions will be, to say it with the words of a great man: "....a place where children and parents can have fun together..."

Quote from: "ed-uk"When the Studios first opened it only had two rides, the Flying Carpets and Rock n' Roller Coaster. I think Disney have started to address these issues over the last few years.

It was their only chance to relativise their big mistake and get more people into this park. Even if some of their studios re-themening decision are still horrible!
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

ed-uk

Well I think most of us can agree the Studios needed more rides and themeing. I don't find any of the re-themeing decisions horrible though. And they had to start somewhere even if it did mean starting small. Let's hope they can add more rides and themeing over the years.
Ed & David

RnRCj

Quote from: "Maarten"-Second, I don't think these rides add much value to Walt Disney Studios Park. It's not that I am against these kind of rides. Caroussel de Lancelot, Dumbo, Orbitron etc all fit in with their environments. I can even appreciate Cars of the Flying Carpets from a Toon Studio perspective. However, if you take a look at the attraction roster of Disney's Hollywood Studios or the Hollywood Picture Backlot area in Disney's California Adventure you will notice that there is not one single carnival ride to be found. It simply doesn't fit in with the story a Hollywood/Studio theme tries to tell its guests. Walt Disney Studios is becoming more of film themed amusement park like Movie Park Germany for example. Ofcourse it always has been a park themed to a Studio, but the same can be said about Hollywood Pictures Backlot which has never been an actual filmstudio either. I don't mind two flatrides in Toon Studio, but with Toy Story Playland it becomes a bit too much. What this park really needs when EuroDisney is ready to expand it is a Hollywood Boulevard, a darkride, a filmexhibit etc... attractions that are truly Hollywood/Studio worthy.
This.

WDS needs more things like the Hollywood Boulevard expansion with proper attractions. Any theme park could build an area like Toy Story Playland.

ed-uk

I think the Toy Story theme is the thing here. The films and the characters are very popular. And no theme park could copy that. But yes, other theme parks could build similar rides. Just like they could build a Caroussel or a Roller Coaster.
Ed & David

pussinboots

I will admit I am actually a little excited to see the construction photos, even though when it's all finished I will probably walk through it in a very Davewasbaloo state of mind. It's just that the park is a lot of nothing, so whenever there's a prospect of something, it's a little exciting. It's expansion. It's something for the Tram Tour to interrupt the view of all that grass.

Here's a thought, though. The road behind the Art of Animation has always been a little awkward because of the building's featureless backside and its proximity to the walkway. Those bushes aren't fooling anyone, either, it feels like you're not supposed to be there. Here is a chance for them to correct this. They could reroute the walkway a little farther from the building and add some kind of themeing to the wall, or do the Disneyland Park thing and build a berm. Will they?

Annet

I'm one of the few people here who doesn't see the problem with Toy Story Playland. I'm not tired of it, the timing is actually very good since there is going to be a third movie. So I guess that sucks when you're already tired of Toy Story, fortunately I still love the movies. I'll go and see for myself when it's done and then I'll judge wether I like it or not.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"Will they?
No.

Both that path and the one running down beside the Costuming building look to be dead areas in terms of theme, with just polite generic railings and lights. It's a shame they obviously couldn't scrounge another few million to give the area some placemaking/justification, but I'd probably prefer they sorted out the Animagique/Art of Disney area first anyway.

About being tired of Toy Story as Maarten said, perhaps we'll feel differently next year when Toy Story 3 is released. At the moment we only know the decade-old films. In any case, this will be the most specifically "Toy Story" area, the Woody and Buzz things in DLP are spin-offs, and along with Pizza Planet will hopefully have their days numbered, leaving just this as the main outlet? Optimistic, I know.

Maarten

Quote from: "Annet"I'm not tired of it, the timing is actually very good since there is going to be a third movie.
From a business point of view its definately a wise move to use the Toy Story franchise. Its already an established and popular franchise, and like you mentioned Toy Story 3 will be released aswell. I even applaud them for finally making use of these filmreleases (look at the current Snow White show aswell).

Quote from: "Annet"So I guess that sucks when you're already tired of Toy Story, fortunately I still love the movies.

Good for you. Is it really that hard to imagine that people want to see other films or themes incorporated in the parks for once? Since 1995 Toy Story has been featured heavily in the European Disney parks; a restaurant, attractions, parades, meet 'n greets etc. There are so many themes and films they could use... sigh... but once again, I do understand why they opted for Toy Story though.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"No.

Both that path and the one running down beside the Costuming building look to be dead areas in terms of theme, with just polite generic railings and lights. It's a shame they obviously couldn't scrounge another few million to give the area some placemaking/justification, but I'd probably prefer they sorted out the Animagique/Art of Disney area first anyway.

Well, it wouldn't cost a million euros to move a walkway and play a little botanic hide-and-seek. Another missed opportunity, I suppose.

But yes, Toy Story is over-represented, it's as simple as that. Judging by the films they've chosen to park-ify these past two decades, you could be forgiven for thinking Toy Story had been the most popular Disney release in its entire history by a landslide.

Timbo

I will just wait till this is finished before I get too upset, not going to worry about what might be ! But not very keen on TSPL at all !!
Toy Story is very much over represented in the parks , I know it is a big money spinner for them but there are lots of other films that could be used , Monsters or Bugs Life could be great ,and I am sure people would still enjoy the attraction if it had a different theme !
I do wish the Studios had a more Hollywood feel to them , feel it completely lacks the magic that there should be in a Disney park  :(

davewasbaloo

Ok, I said I would just walk away from this, but I cannot, it is like crack. My problem is not actually the theme per se. I am actually quite a big toy story fan when it comes to the films. But yes, I agree, they have had their turn.

My problem is not that they are trying to build capacity or attractions that will appeal to youngsters (two things that have been sorely needed since day 1).

What I have an issue with is building an area that any park can build, whether it's Thomas the Tank land in Drayton Manor or 6 Flags, or the former Beanoland at Chessington.

I have kids aged 4 and 6, so you think I would be stoked. But having experienced a Bugsland 1st hand (not many on these boards have) or Chester and Hesters, I already pretty much know what is coming. Heck, even a rehash of Mermaid Lagoon at TDS would be preferrable (but only just).

But what we have here are 3 low capacity attractions, out in the open air (Paris weather is really only nice a few days a year). One that will likely have a size limit (actually all 3 probably will). One that spins and has dark segments, so will scare off a large number of kids (though mine will probably love it). One that is a gentle drop ride with long waits that ruins the view and will likely have a strong size limit. And one that will have huge waits and will either be watered down to make it boring, or will be too scary for kids and elderly. And it will be ugly too. All surrounded by cheap looking All Stars style icons that will likely be graffiti'd over or have baracades to stop us getting near a la the Cars Photo opportunities.

This is my problem. Disney was all about immersive theming of things that could be enjoyed by the whole family. Everyone really seems to have forgotten that.

It shouldn't be a case of "if it's good enough for Alton Towers/EuropaPark/6 Flags it's good enough for us - we'll slap our characters on and people will love it".  But more and more of it is becoming that, and most people do not realise until it is too late.

Disney used to strive to be the best. Everything does not need to be an E-ticket, but to me, they might as well just hire in outsiders and do what they did at other parks with Disney licencing.

Well you guys might fall for it, but it does not motivate me to make the time and money sacrifices. I wouldn't go next year except for we already have the villa and the kids want to. But all this, something is better than nothing is bull. Something means that it is unlikely that something different will come along later.

The big difference with Dumbo and the Tea Cups, is that you also have luscious gardens, 3 dark rides (5 in California), It's a Small World, fine dining and shopping in the same area. The same cannot be said for TSPL.
since 2001 (many before that)

Annet

Quote from: "Maarten"
Quote from: "Annet"So I guess that sucks when you're already tired of Toy Story, fortunately I still love the movies.

Good for you. Is it really that hard to imagine that people want to see other films or themes incorporated in the parks for once? Since 1995 Toy Story has been featured heavily in the European Disney parks; a restaurant, attractions, parades, meet 'n greets etc. There are so many themes and films they could use... sigh... but once again, I do understand why they opted for Toy Story though.

I never said that I don't understand why people would like to see other movie-themed attractions, there are lots of other movies I love too. I'm just gonna sit and wait for the result before I make my judgement.

Timbo

I agree with you totally davewasbaloo , but I think ,unfortunately , that DLP does not have the funding of the other parks .Recent turnover figures show a decrease in guest spending , so we are kind of between a rock and a hard place !
Do they add new attractions that might not be as fabulous as we hope for or only get a new ride every 5 or 6 years  that is beautifully themed ! At least it is something , and not as we want but still they are making an effort ! :)
Lets wait till it is done before we get too upset !

Aveen2008

I am not surprised that guest spending is down, they don't really try to improve it. The merchandise is just repeated over and over in all the shops with the same plushes, t-shirts etc, there is little variation even over the span of years. I have seen some items that are sold in american parks that paris doesn't have and that people would buy.. I know I would.

Then there are places like auberge de cendrillon which would make a fantastic trade if the price was even slightly lower and they had a little more diverse menu, infact just having a few more items on the menu that people who have an average palate would want. Fact is people would actually fork out that money but not when they can't even get something ediable on it...we all don't like the french top class cusine.

Theres a lot of small changes that could greatly improve guest spending in my opinion.
Luv Aveen xoxo