Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reiana

I was at Legoland Günzburg today and they do have a very small version of the half pipe ride. It's a cute little ride. The board itself was a pirates ship and the base with the tracks was painted with waves. I think Imageneering can handle this easily if they use the small version (or a medium version if available) at Disneyland.

Pete's Dragon

:wink: I should certainly hope the Imagineers could do a better job, looks really tacky. But I do like the way the boat seems to rotate.

Willow

That is a Rockin' Tug, many parks have them, 3 opened this year in the UK alone. I can't see Disney getting one, they are all themed to boats and boats have nothing to do with toy story.

Captain Pan

Quote from: "Willow"That is a Rockin' Tug, many parks have them, 3 opened this year in the UK alone. I can't see Disney getting one, they are all themed to boats and boats have nothing to do with toy story.

Boat + Imagination = Buzz Lightyear's Packaging

Pretty much easily done...
 Or Even at Push RC would become the veichle if they follow the idea...

However Track theming and that of the main structure needs requires concern in my opinion...

mehdi5

That is actually not the halfpipe that was being reffered to, this it the model that has been talked about actually.

It's also more intenste than the halfpipe you posted but it was a Zierer Model. This model on the picture was the intamin model being rumored, i think. Does look hard to theme really. However this model does seem easier to relate to Toy Story(the skateboard part).

davewasbaloo

Has horrible visions of the track being orange like a hot wheels track and a giant Buzz standing in the middle of the car, with the marketing blurb saying some rubbish like "Now everyone can fall with style".

I am really uncomfortable about these proposed new additions. they are the anti Disney to my mind.
since 2001 (many before that)

RnRCj

I just can't see how something as huge and ugly as that could look good in a Disney park - themed or not. It's a horrible attraction that was specifically designed for thrill parks like Six Flags. :sick: The Toy Story theming just worries me even more.

davewasbaloo

But what is even worse is it will probabkly get 60 min queues for this dross!

Riebi

For me: I´m not so much afraid about the new attractions. I´ve got also some problems with the big U but ok, they will theme it and we all know how our Indiana Jones Coaster or Cars would look like without a theming. So I think EVERYTHING can be well themed by WDI.

The park need more little "Fantasyland-Fun-Fair" Attractions (remember fantasyland without Dumbo, Lancelot, Mad Hatters...) They need more capacity and more rides. The question could be: Why haven´t they build this "little" rides in 2002 but ok, that´s the past and we won´t change it.
At the moment it seems to be a fact, that WDS has more guests then ever. They have queues and that for the first time in their life! So it´s a good step to develope WDS and Toon Studios to a real and bigger "land" for the small ones (And that means not that you won´t see myself on the rides :mrgreen: ) So: Yes, they hardly need some small rides to have a more Disney Park ambiance. We can say they haven´t choose the right rides. But as all what we are talking about are just "rumours" we even don´t know this. If they build the 3 rides we are talking about I´m very "excited" about this half pipe think cause it´s BIG. And Big rides need a proper and ...well.... expensive theming. Without this it just would be a simple funfair ride.(but cause we can´t watch into the future (maybe we should ask leota) we even don´t know how they hide it)

The rumoured Toy Story Land is a bigger problem for me then the rides itself. Toy Story is now after toy story-attractions at every corner a bit lame. (and nooo I also don´t wan´t a bug´s land :mrgreen: )
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

davewasbaloo

The point is, most families won't even be able to ride the half pipe.

I don't have as much of a problem with dumbo and teacups because we also have a number of dark rides around it. I don't think anyone goes to a disney resort for the Carousel - they go for unique only at disney attractions.

It doesn't have to be an e-ticket, I just can't but think this is not the right direction of travel. something like the Monster's Inc ride in California or Tokyo would make much more sense if they needed to theme it, or Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin.

I do not want to see steel monoliths in my Disney parks.

Riebi

I know what you mean.

I think the thing is, that such rides are normaly build from day one. Or they build rides like this beside bigger projects like cars near crush.
But we know: They haven´t build such rides (except les tapis) at opening day. So they must now reverse this mistakes.

It could be a change for the future developement of WDS but it could also be a deep black hole. All depends on the theming for me.

To see only one steel monoliths would be the hardest thing ever. I could go to Europa Park Rust to see stell monoliths with some theming around. I hope for a proper solution.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

smurfy74

I have faith that these can all be themed to the max and everyone will love them, the studios need new capacity quick and this will give it to them, it will also look like another rush of new attractions at DLRP. When i talk to my friends about Paris they ask what the latest rides are, much as they do with Thorpe Park and Alton Towers. I cant speak for our continental friends but it seems a theme park to us brits is successful if it keeps adding new attractions.

Timbo

I don't really like the sound of this half pipe ride,even with theming it will be huge and take away from the great job they have done with TOT,and won't it be very visible from DL and really intrude into the sightlines ?

penfold12

Out of the three rides, the half pipe worries me, even after comments of heavy theming.

It seems very basic to be able to dress up with theming. I think of indy and crush attractions when I think of Disney taking a basic attraction and plussing it.

Even Dumbo and the carpets. But one u shaped track doesnt fill me with much hope. I really hope though that I have to eat my words.

I just dont want to be able to see two pieces of track sticking up over Hollywood Blv.....

RnRCj

Quote from: "penfold12"Out of the three rides, the half pipe worries me, even after comments of heavy theming.

It seems very basic to be able to dress up with theming. I think of indy and crush attractions when I think of Disney taking a basic attraction and plussing it.

Even Dumbo and the carpets. But one u shaped track doesnt fill me with much hope. I really hope though that I have to eat my words.

I just dont want to be able to see two pieces of track sticking up over Hollywood Blv.....

That's exactly how I feel. It just seems to tall to be able to be themed well. If it was a smaller version, something like a Disk-O Coaster or a Rockin' Tug, then I'm sure it could be themed well. But this will be a huge challenge for the Imagineers and I'm unsure if they will pull it off. :?