Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockNRoller

Quote from: "Malin"Also be cool to see other Toy Story Characters out in future like Lotso

Would be good if they do however I fear for Lotso, after seeing the film my 5 year old nephew announced he would like to give Lotso a kick for being so mean to Woody, and I think he meant it. :lol:
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

DopeyDad

:lol:

Malin, did you say you saw characters within TSPL?

disneyrules

I think it would be cool to see some toy story 3 characters too.
They could make some new character costumes like dolly, barbie, ken and Mr pricklepants. I actually really liked all of the new characters so i dont really mind which characters are there :) Except for big baby it scared me :D but i did fell sorry for him in the end.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

Tuvok

Quote from: "DopeyDad":lol:

Malin, did you say you saw characters within TSPL?

Yes, Woody, Buzz and Jessy were all there, but only for the avant-premiere for Dream passholders. There will be no meet&greets within Toy Story Playland after August 17.
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

PetiteSirene

I have seen a private photo of Buzz posing in the RC photo location. I still think its a shame there will be no meet and greets there :(

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Tuvok

I've made 126 photos of Toy Story Playland during the Dream Avant-Premiere last saturday with all the details of the land itself, the rides and their que's and of the Barrels of Monkeys 'store' with all the merchandise. You can view them on my Windows Live Photos location: Click!

Enjoy!
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

disneyrules

Great photos :thumbs: :)
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

Malin

QuoteMalin, did you say you saw characters within TSPL?

Thats correct at the start of this YouTube video by user filipv. Its a complete tour of Toy Story Playland.

Part 1
[youtube:1y1i1ixd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6stYU8q8y8[/youtube:1y1i1ixd]

Part 2
[youtube:1y1i1ixd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDkZmleqm2Q&feature=related[/youtube:1y1i1ixd]

QuoteYes, Woody, Buzz and Jessy were all there, but only for the avant-premiere for Dream passholders. There will be no meet&greets within Toy Story Playland after August 17.

I think thats a real shame. And I hope it will be re considered. From the videos that I have seen it appears a lot of people visiting the land tend to be more interested the the atsmophere and theming than the rides. You see a lot of people with camera's out just walking around enjoying the place and looking at the detail. Adding a few characters will really add to the enviroment thats been created and boost the enjoyment for the younger Guests who will be too short to ride RC Racer. It would also add Woody and Jessie to the area in some capacity. Another Character that could be added are the Green Army Men.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "claire2281"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"On one level Claire, that may seem fine. But call me old fashioned, I am the school of thought that all Disney attractions should be suitable for the whole family to ride. That is why Walt built Disneyland in the first place.

A nice idea perhaps but impractical imo and not good business sense. Thrill rides are an integral part of all theme parks these days and Disney would be at a disadvantage if they didn't include them.

This is not new, in the 1920's coasters were all the rage in America, there were far more then than now. When Walt rolled out his plans for Disneyland they said it would go under without thrill rides. They were wrong. I appreciate where you may be coming from, but as someone who has spent my life going to Disney parks with babies, older relatives, people with disabilities etc, the one thing they were awesome at was building inclusive people eating attractions that virtually everyone could ride, that tell strong stories and take you to another place.

I will concede that this addition does have quite a cohesive story (even if not to my taste, I will give it that), but it is not inclusive and nor are they crowd eaters.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It will be popular, and yes it is better than that mess that is Chester and Hester's

I'm going to do something very shocking now, and speak in favor of DinoRama... But I have to say I think the Imagineers created something witty and clever there as well that no one ever seems to pick up on. If you can manage to see past the two-bit carny rides (which are an unfortunate reality that I am not making excuses for), you'll see that the place is actually an excellent take on mid-century roadside attractions. I think it's hilarious. Frankly there's more Imagineering value there than in Space Mountain: Mission 2 and Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast combined.

I just think it's important to make the distinction between funding issues and Imagineering issues.

davewasbaloo

True, it is clever. But to quote Jurrassic Park - jut because they can do something, did anyone stop to think should they?
since 2001 (many before that)

PetiteSirene

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It will be popular, and yes it is better than that mess that is Chester and Hester's

I'm going to do something very shocking now, and speak in favor of DinoRama... But I have to say I think the Imagineers created something witty and clever there as well that no one ever seems to pick up on. If you can manage to see past the two-bit carny rides (which are an unfortunate reality that I am not making excuses for), you'll see that the place is actually an excellent take on mid-century roadside attractions. I think it's hilarious. Frankly there's more Imagineering value there than in Space Mountain: Mission 2 and Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast combined.

I just think it's important to make the distinction between funding issues and Imagineering issues.

The issue I had with Chesters and Hesters was mainly the ride and the fact I had to wait 40 minutes for a queue of about 20 people :lol: (plus I was totally disappointed with it too.) The area itself actually reminded me a lot of Brighton Pier and childhood memories... But I still think it was a very poor choice and really didnt fit in with the surroundings :s

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

claire2281

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"This is not new, in the 1920's coasters were all the rage in America, there were far more then than now. When Walt rolled out his plans for Disneyland they said it would go under without thrill rides. They were wrong. I appreciate where you may be coming from, but as someone who has spent my life going to Disney parks with babies, older relatives, people with disabilities etc, the one thing they were awesome at was building inclusive people eating attractions that virtually everyone could ride, that tell strong stories and take you to another place.

I will concede that this addition does have quite a cohesive story (even if not to my taste, I will give it that), but it is not inclusive and nor are they crowd eaters.

I appreciate your point but times and tastes have changed. I tend to think that thrill rides are the gift that keeps on giving - you can ride them over and over and never tire of the physical experience. ToT is a perfect example of that, as is RnRC - never get tired of that launch! Rides which are 'just' about the scenery (and admittedly Disney does them brilliantly) are never quite as good on repeats as the first ride imo. You see many more things, enjoy it, take in the details but I don't think you can ever match that initial 'wow'. Bearing in mind how many teens I've seen in the park - and the opinions of the ones I've taken! - it needs the thrill rides and the family ones in order to cater for all tastes. They'll go on Peter Pan once to enjoy it, but they'll ride Big Thunder Mountain over and over because of the thrill. Now, of course, others will prefer things the opposite way round and good for them :) Disney definitely seems to have far less thrill rides than other parks and that's fine, but it definitely needs some. Which is one thing I think TSPL has balanced really well.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

pussinboots

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"True, it is clever. But to quote Jurrassic Park - jut because they can do something, did anyone stop to think should they?

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"The issue I had with Chesters and Hesters was mainly the ride and the fact I had to wait 40 minutes for a queue of about 20 people :lol: (plus I was totally disappointed with it too.) The area itself actually reminded me a lot of Brighton Pier and childhood memories... But I still think it was a very poor choice and really didnt fit in with the surroundings :s

In a way it's supposed to evoke Brighton-style awfulness, or its 1950s US Highway equivalent. Which doesn't sound like the beginning of a great Disney attraction, but there really is an interesting, quirky bit of American history there and I think there's room for things like that in the Disney world. If Pixar had made a movie about these roadside diversions, people would be cheering them on. (Perhaps they would have had it not been for Cars.)

As far as shoestring budget attractions go, they've done much worse.

PetiteSirene

I think thrill rides add an element of excitement to child and the 'return' factor. One of my friends has been taking her son since he was 18 months old. She has taken him every year and watched as he grew and last trip (although timid at first) he was finally tall enough to go on BTM, he loved it and wanted to go again and again. He will have the same with ToT and Crush when he is big enough. It gives him something to really look forward to in future trips.

I know that the original Disneyland is very forgiving with height limits. I know that when I visited I was able to ride everything, of course that didnt mean I was brave enough to! It took me 13 years of waiting to rectify not going on Splash Mountain :lol:. Kids are a lot braver now than I remember them being when I was their age and I think kids are starting to expect more from a theme park. Especially since other theme parks do offer thrill galore. I am not disagreeing that the original values of Disneyland are perhaps being lost, but then as Walt always knew the future changes things and as society and peoples expectations change so does Disneyland.

The Parachute Drop's height limit is lower than that of Jumping Jellyfish (PD is 81cm JJ is 102cm) and lower than Splash Mountain, Matterhorn and Space Mountain. Its also lower than most of the rides in California Adventure so I think we are rather lucky there. We all knew that RC was going to have a tall requirement, however I cant help but be pleased that this will hopefully draw thrill seekers away from Crush and make the queue times for Crush at least bareable. Not to mention the fact that we know the studios will be getting another ride in the years to come to further help the lack of rides for people to queue for, taking the strain off of Cars and the Carpets. Hope that all  made sense lol, I'm not normally up so early and posting long posts like this :lol:

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia