Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Butlin Boy

But wait... there's more!:

http://www.disneytheque.com/voirimg_178.html

Shh shh, can you hear that... it's the oncoming stampede of negativity that's going to hit this board like a train! :roll: :P

ulak

I mean - Armagedon is very boring and bad attraction from all WDS attractions  :(  :cry:  I was so frustrated after this attraction  :|  :(

Tower of Terror is the best and Rocknroller Coaster too :)
[size=85](sorry for my bad english, thank You!)[/size]

dagobert

Still not sure about TSPL. At DCA and TDS there are also attractions like the parachute drop? I think they are called Jumping Jellyfish. Did Disney get a discount from the manufacturer for buying four of these attractions?

Do you know if Disney is replacing the Jumping Jellyfish at DCA during the makeover?

Anthony

Quote from: "dagobert"Do you know if Disney is replacing the Jumping Jellyfish at DCA during the makeover?
No, it's staying. I think it was just repainted?

The camouflage design on this tower was the one thing that really stuck out as ugly to me on the model, and it's no improvement in real life. Very much lacking in style or imagination. A single colour or a more subtle pattern would have been preferable. At least it should get better from here...

jeakat24

I just wrote an epically long reply but it hasn't shown up. I honestly can't even begin to be be bothered to type it all out again but the general gist of it was, don't like it, don't like it, don't it.

I was part of that stampede!

I was hoping the whole idea would grow on me but it really hasn't, Toy Story being over done in the parks, attraction design is not great to say the least. Slinkys Zig-Zag Spin is a dreadful name and downright insulting to childrens intelligence. It would be like calling Crush's Coaster "Crush's Spinning Roller-Coaster, It Spins and is Dark" or calling ToT "A High Drop in a Chamber Made to Look Like an Elevator- It Goes Up Too"

Anyway, my original post was better longer and far more eloquent but as I said, I really cannot be bothered to re-write it all
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Willow

The colours are a bit too blocky, but I guess this decision was decided as it looks more toy-like.
Even some simple gradients would make the tower look better, and maybe tone down the colours.

The parachute tower is definitely the most ugly of the 3 attractions, and the one with the smallest theming opportunities.

jeakat24

Quote from: "Willow"The colours are a bit too blocky, but I guess this decision was decided as it looks more toy-like.
Even some simple gradients would make the tower look better, and maybe tone down the colours.

The parachute tower is definitely the most ugly of the 3 attractions, and the one with the smallest theming opportunities.

Well said  =D>

You've pretty much just summed up my feelings about that new photo.

I took some pictures when I was there last week to share on here and I can see that they're clearly outdated already, they hadn't even started the tower when I was there
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

dagobert

The more I think about it and the more pictures of TSPL I see, the less I like the whole idea about the new land. What happened to WDI in the last years? They are creating attractions like Carsland, Mystic Point or this Grizzly Coaster and then something like TSPL happens.

At DHS at WDW there aren't any rides for children at all. They fill this gap with nice stage shows and attractions like the Muppets 3D show. So I don't understand why WDS needs such cheap rides. As I said many times before, it is really necessary to create something for children, but there are other and better rides to do this. It would have been better to use the money for attractions that the whole family can enjoy. I really can't imagine that, for example, The Muppet Vision 3D is more expensive than TSPL. You just need a building, a big screen and seats. The building could look like a soundstage and so it will not be very expensice.

Kristof

A new photo by Disneytheque: http://www.disneytheque.com/voirimg_178.html

Somehow I expected it to be taller.

Ronald767

I am not sure but i thought that Disneydavid a.k.a. David Oppenheim was going to do some updates monthly..... i hope so... :S

SM:M3

Quote from: "dagobert"At DHS at WDW there aren't any rides for children at all. They fill this gap with nice stage shows and attractions like the Muppets 3D show. So I don't understand why WDS needs such cheap rides. As I said many times before, it is really necessary to create something for children, but there are other and better rides to do this.

I've never been to WDW,but in my mind Hollywood Studios is the sort of 3RD or 4TH most popular park, but here in Paris we only have 1 1/2 park, and that 1/2 needs to become a full park, and TSPL will just help it on its way

Martyn

^ EXACTLY. You should be king. The Studio's is full of things for older people. I know of a few people that went with small children and they didn't like the Studio's because there was hardly anything for their children to do, so they spent like half hour in there, then went back to the other park. TSPL is going to make the Studio's a 'complete' park, with attractions for every age group, it will no doubt become much more of a 'completel' day out, as appose to a 'time kill' park.

Quickly going back to some of the people that dont like Crush, I think they should (and we all) consider ourselves lucky that DLP put as much effort in Crush as they did. Compare Crush to the similr rides that can be found at WDW ad DCA:

Primeval Whirl - Disney's Animal Kingdom

Mulholland Madness - Disney's California Adventure

At least Crush was modified to be completely unique, not just left as bog standard. Anda normal standard MS Spinner is much better than them 2 Wild Mouse coasters anyway, yet what WDS done it with made the ride experience a hell of a lot better and unique.

Reiana

Primeval Whirl and Mullholand Madness just look like out of the Oktoberfest here in Munich.
We can consider us lucky to have crush designed like it is.
And I'm sure, TPL will come out quite nice.

Magic M

Wasn't Disney Californian Adventure supposed to look like a traditional seaside pier funfair?

So in theory it is perfectly themed?

Maarten

Quote from: "Martyn"Quickly going back to some of the people that dont like Crush, I think they should (and we all) consider ourselves lucky that DLP put as much effort in Crush as they did. Compare Crush to the similr rides that can be found at WDW ad DCA.

Thats the other way 'round. So I should be glad we didn't get a ride like Primeval Whirl or Mulholland Madness? This is Disney we are talking about. The fact that Disney screwed up with those two attractions, doesn't mean that I should be glad we got Crush the way we did. Obviously Crush has a better ride experience then Primeval Whirl and Mulholland Madness, but its not up to the standards Disney used to have. The attraction is not extremely bad, but it didn't get the finishing touches it should have had. Apparently we have different expectations when it comes to Disney attractions?

QuoteAt least Crush was modified to be completely unique, not just left as bog standard. Anda normal standard MS Spinner is much better than them 2 Wild Mouse coasters anyway, yet what WDS done it with made the ride experience a hell of a lot better and unique.

"Unique" is not the same as "good". Tower of Terror for example is an exact clone of the one in DCA, but it still a very good ride. On the other hand, a unique ride can still be a weak one.