Safety at Lake Disney

Started by Pete's Dragon, August 03, 2008, 11:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubbsy

I dunno what Riebi is suggesting, hes a good boy who only likes hot chocolate and cooookies! Oh n fish !!?

I dont think this is one thats going to be agreed on. I can see both sides, that fencing, whilst obscuring the view, would make the lake safer. Perspex may be the way to go.

I wouldnt want to see the lake go. I love to walk past the HNY end and look at Newport Bay all lit up at night. Its so beautiful. (aah the memories!) But like Petes Dragon, i will worry about the lake all the same n continue to give that firm warning when that hand tries to slip away.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Riebi

nooo I don´t wanna catch one :mrgreen:  but the kids and peeeeps (peeps want to catch often something :lol: )
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

davewasbaloo

16 years and it really hasn't been an issue yet!  Also, that's why it's good for parents to know how to swim. When mine were too small, I used rains. Now, I am confident enough they would be ok doggy paddling till I could jump in after them.

Perspex would look aweful, a metal fence would be better, but none is even better still.
since 2001 (many before that)

loulou123

Have always thought its a law suit waiting to happen, but i wouldnt like to see it fenced either. Guess theres dangers everywhere (both for kids and drunken adults!  :P ) but how far do we go to make the world completely safe?

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "loulou123"Have always thought its a law suit waiting to happen, but i wouldnt like to see it fenced either. Guess theres dangers everywhere (both for kids and drunken adults!  :P ) but how far do we go to make the world completely safe?

I've Cracked IT !!!!!!!!

[spoiler:12ji53in]BUBBLEWRAP !!!!!!! :P [/spoiler:12ji53in]

tubbsy

Genius!
 :lol:

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

Pete's Dragon

I was looking at photos I had of the lake, and a barrier around all of it is not necessary, just at HNY. Purely because of that 8-10 feet drop, the rest looks ok

tubbsy

Completely off subject. What a fantastic photo! Wish I was there *sigh*

Its been nearly a year since we've been n my mind is foggy. Arent there steps down to the water at the HNY end? If there is, would guests still have access to go and sit on them? Or am I remembering somewhere else? (Feelin my age today... :roll: )

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

lil-shawn

QuoteIts been nearly a year since we've been n my mind is foggy. Arent there steps down to the water at the HNY end? If there is, would guests still have access to go and sit on them? Or am I remembering somewhere else? (Feelin my age today...  )

No thats right, there are steps down to the lake at HNY..

Quotebut keep in mind: the kids and the drunken peeps could speared or sliced by the perspex glass if they try to jump over it  they should change the lake into something dry. disney dessert or so  

hehe, very funny riebi, or what is when the kids or drunken peeps try to run through the Perspex glass  :mrgreen:  :twisted:  

I think disney woul´d be stupid to barrier it, it looks very ugly.
in the first 16 years of the resort nothing happend and in the future it would be the same,
no kid and no drunked is so stupid to run or jump into the water.

all time im on the lake i see kids, sit on the water and feed the ducks or try to get the feet wet...

pussinboots

Last month, I noticed there were a couple of spots around the lake that were taped off.

Frankly, I was a little surprised at how easily someone (say, a complete klutz with his head in the clouds like yours truly) could walk off into the water as well. It's not something you expect to see at Disney.

I think it's one of the things Disney should take a look at in the Lake Disney area, along with a lot of burnt out lights, cracked flooring and the shamelessly dilapidated Hotel New York area. But it seems they're not going to be doing anything around there unless something spontaneously disintegrates.

Clarebelle

I'm glad someone has bought this topic up, everytime we go me and my bf say how dangerous the lake tooks and how easy it would for some little kid to fall in, is there any say "lifeguards" on duty, that watch over the lake or is it completely unattended for anyone to fall in?
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

lil-shawn

QuoteFrankly, I was a little surprised at how easily someone (say, a complete klutz with his head in the clouds like yours truly) could walk off into the water as well. It's not something you expect to see at Disney.

I just say what i think about the idea to make rails around the lake, thats no reason to call me or someone a Klutz...

RnRCj

I've thought about this issue before myself, and I came to the conclusion quite a while ago that a barrier of some sort isn't needed.

First of all, if a small child did fall in the lake, then in my opinion it is the parents fault for not supervising their child properly. Any child over the age of about, say, 6 or 7 should have the sense to work out that they shouldn't mess around near the edge.

Secondly, a drunk is taking the risk by getting drunk, so if they fall in it's their fault really.

Finally, all those lakes that you see in public parks don't have barriers, so why should this? And how many times do you hear of people falling in? Rarely. As far as I know, nobody has had an acident at Lake Disney yet, and if someone did they should be able to easily climb out since it's so shallow.

smurfy74

I agree with u RnRCj, there havent been problems in the last 15 years so let it be, people need to be responsible for their actions and those of their children its not disneys responsibilty. like yuo say there are loads of parks with lakes that are far deeper than lake disney. the whole im going to take you to court becuase im totally irresponsible mind set really annoys me.

Pete's Dragon

All I'm saying is accidents do happen. There's only a tiny portion of the lake that could do with some protection, near HNY. Not because of the water but the large drop.

As for saying its the parents responsibility, that's a little harsh. No child in the world behaves as they should 100% of the time, regardless of how well they've been brought up.

If it was up to everyone to look after their own safety, why is there railings on the bridge at the lake ? Why is there a barrier along the walk from HNY to Sante Fe  ? It's general safety requirements. ( must actually have a good look at the lake when I go )