101 Dalmatians - Platinum Edition DVD

Started by Anthony, February 06, 2008, 03:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

BURBANK, Calif., October 31, 2007 – For the first time in nearly a decade, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment unleashes 101 of the world's most famous dogs when Walt Disney's original dog classic, 101 Dalmatians: Platinum Edition comes to DVD March 4, 2008 for a limited time only.
101 Dalmatians is the true Disney Dog classic, considered by critics to be one of the best and most innovative Disney animated films. This all-new two-disc Platinum Edition is a must-own for fans big and small, featuring beloved characters Pongo, Perdita, and their 99 puppies, as well as one of Disney's most deliciously evil villains of all time – Cruella De Vil (ranked on American Film Institute's Best Villains of All Time List).

101 Dalmatians: Platinum Edition is brilliantly restored with enhanced picture and sound and includes all-new, never-before-seen bonus features that will have fans of all ages howling with delight: An all-new interactive "Virtual Dalmatian" game with over 101 possibilities to adopt, train and care for =your very own virtual puppy, deleted songs, behind-the-scenes featurettes, an in-depth look at the personal correspondence between Walt Disney and Dodie Smith, (author of the book The Hundred and One Dalmatians), and much more.

One of the most cherished and sought-after Disney classics of all time, 101 Dalmatians is among the last films to bear the personal touch of Walt Disney. This original classic is available for a limited time only before it returns to the Disney vault.

Bonus Features

• Disney's Virtual Dalmatians
Adopt, name, train and care for your very own virtual puppy where there are over 101 possibilities.
• Puppy Profiler
Find out which dog you're most like!
• 101 Pop-Up Trivia Facts For The Family & Collector
Discover 202 amazing things You Never Knew about the movie as you watch it – with 101 pop up facts for the family and 101 for the collector
• All-New "Cruella De Vil" Music Video
The classic song "Cruella De Vil" gets a contemporary twist when multitalented teen Disney Channel star Selena Gomez performs the song in a brand new video!
• Redefining The Line: The Making Of 101 Dalmatians
101 Dalmatians is considered by critics to be one of the best and most innovative Disney animated films. Go behind the scenes with its creators to find out about everything - including the technological innovation of the Xerox process in animation.
• Cruella De Vil: Drawn To Be Bad
Inspired by flamboyant actress Tallulah Bankhead, Cruella De Vil has become a villain that movie fans love to hate. Marc Davis, an animation legend and one of Disney's immortal "Nine Old Men" reveals how this iconic character came to be.
• Sincerely Yours, Walt Disney
Experience Walt Disney and Dodie Smith's (author of the book The Hundred and One Dalmatians) actual correspondence during the movie's production.
• Deleted Songs
Songs written for the film - finally come to life!
• And Much More!

When Pongo and Perdita, a pair of adorable Dalmatians play Cupid for their human pets, wedding bells soon ring!
In a short time, the dogs become the proud parents of 15 winsome puppies, but their happiness is short-lived. The wicked Cruella De Vil wants to buy the all puppies—to make a coat! When her dastardly offer is turned down, she orders her bumbling henchmen Horace and Jasper to abscond with the puppies as well as every other Dalmatian puppy in London. Pongo and Perdita must rally a network of animals across England with the "twilight bark" to help find Cruella's secret hideaway and rescue 99 precious puppies.

Some (all?) of Disc 2 has been posted by the BBFC:

00:19:20:03 (VIRTUAL DALMATIANS SET TOP VERSION)
00:21:58:20 (PUPPY PROFILER)
00:33:52:00 REDEFINING THE LINE - THE MAKING OF ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIANS
00:02:30:15 (DELETED SONG: CHEERIO GOOD-BYE TOODLE-OO HIP HIP!)
00:02:37:09 (DELETED SONG: DON'T BUY A PARROT FROM A SAILOR)
00:35:55:04 (FUN WITH LANGUAGE GAME - PUPPY POP OUTS)
01:02:34:04 (FUN WITH LANGUAGE GAME - CHANGE THE CHANNEL)

UK Release: 3rd March 2008

In normal 2-Disc:

With a toy:

With the Oscar-winning sequel (I joke):

Or in a rather nice collector's box with a picture book (same as Jungle Book's Deluxe Edition):

Anthony

My Deluxe Edition box arrived today! :D Here's a quick review:

Packaging/the box - lovely! Something major has happened to Disney UK, in the past 12 months their releases have improved massively. The box is the same as the Jungle Book (and the old Snow White set), with a beautiful cover and a great book inside. No words in the book (shame), but lots of archive photographs, cells and sketches. Great stuff, I was expecting a kids story book! The dvd itself comes with the cardboard cover. And also the 'Platinum Edition' title which the UK has suddenly adopted. Thumbs up.

The Film - I've only watched half an hour, but wow -- what an overlooked gem! I know everyone knows Cruella and knows the story, but the old VHS release must have been awful, because I've always imagined the film as a bit ugly and grubby, and not very entertaining. I was just never very interested in it. How wrong could I have been -- the film is clever and funny, the animation... brilliant. It looks so colourful on the new transfer, the thick black edges are so crisp on a HD screen.

The Extras - I don't usually heap praise on Disney extras (too many Disney Channel 'music' videos, too few insights), but they've turned it around with this one. Great making of (short and lots of back-slapping, but actually very informative), lots of art galleries, lots of deleted music and... I'm not lying... the return of TRAILERS! All of them, from every re-release. You know it's a "complete" package when they include those. The menus throughout are really nice too, I'm so glad they scrapped the awful "CGI worlds" idea from the early platinums.

So, one of my least favourite films is actually very highly recommended from myself. :)

Nicholas-c

i bought this for my mum for mothers day :p i haven't seen it in years, might steal it and watch it after work tomorrow ^_^
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Kristof

Is there a DLRP trailer on it?

Anthony

Yeah, the same one as on Ratatouille -- a shorter version of 'Happy Day'.

It plays automatically with the Fast Play on Disc 1 though, which is better than it being hidden on Disc 2, however good it is. :)

Riebi

This DVD will release in germany toooo  =D>  I hope they do the same things on it [-o<
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

goofy-2000

It is fantastic

first time i have like all the extras,

plus it has my favourite villian Cruella De Vil
i want every single goofy in the whole wide world ha ha ha

dagobert

I bought the DVD a few weeks ago. On the German version is no trailer for DLRP on Disc 1.  I watched all the trailers (Enchanted, Sleeping Beauty, Wall-E,...) on Disc 1, but no DLRP advertisement, maybe it is after the movie or on Disc 2. There is also no DLRP trailer on the German Single Disc version of Ratatouille and on the 2 Disc Special Edition of The Jungle Book. Maybe this fits better in the "Does DLRP abandon Germany" thread.

Nevertheless 101 Dalmatians is a very good movie and I like it a lot. Especially Cruella de Vil is a great character.

Javey74

Yeah, absolutely brilliant extras on this Platinum DVD, just been watching them... :D/

Well recommended... :wink:

peep

I finally have mine in the post from Play.com. I don't know why its taken me so long to purchase it. It should arrive either Monday or Tuesday, so excited!!!
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320