Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton 2010)

Started by peep, November 16, 2007, 02:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurfy74

Cineworld are now taking bookings so looks like we will be fine here in Eastbourne - so my grandparents will get to see their first 3d film

edit - ive got my tickets we cant all wait  :D/  :D/  :D/  :D/

The Butlin Boy

In the UK, Cineworld cinemas have announced that they will show the film, Odeon have announced today that they will NOT show it, and Vue are still to decide  :?  I really didn't expect this to go so far!

Javey74

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"In the UK, Cineworld cinemas have announced that they will show the film, Odeon have announced today that they will NOT show it, and Vue are still to decide  :?  I really didn't expect this to go so far!
Just think if Disney do the same with the Big Screen to DVD timescale thing with Toy Story 3 and every other release after that..  :roll:

AmericanMouse

We're having the same story here in the USA with the second largest theatre chain called AMC Theatres.

//http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20100211/ENTERTAINMENT-US-DISNEY/

Scroll down for more info.

dagobert

Is this DVD release another stupid decision of Walt Disney Pictures new boss Rich Ross. I think Disney will change their strategy otherwise they will loose a lot of money.

Anthony

Quote from: "AmericanMouse"We're having the same story here in the USA with the second largest theatre chain called AMC Theatres.
Funny to see it challenged by AMC, given their Downtown Disney locations.

What sucks now is that all of the IMAX cinemas in the UK except the BFI and various science museum screens are owned by Odeon (Cardiff, Manchester, Gateshead, two in London). Not much chance of IMAX 3D here then, unless that's being treated separately?

They're going to lose a lot of money. Aren't they worried people might end up preferring whatever cinema they visit instead?

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Anthony"They're going to lose a lot of money. Aren't they worried people might end up preferring whatever cinema they visit instead?

You're hitting the nail right on the head there. We have an Odeon just down the road from us, and a Cineworld about 20 minute drive away. If I'm going to the cinema with friends we'll go to the Odeon for convenience, but as a family (a lot more especially now with the 3D charging extra) we will go to the Cineworld. Why? It is a lot cheaper for the same experience (possibly even better - choosing where you sit when you're in the theatre, more and bigger screens, etc). They've even got rid of charging for the 3D glasses with the ticket - take your own and you don't have to buy them (sold seperately for 80p). Odeon really are taking a huge risk with this film, good luck to them :wink:

Javey74

One of Disney's main reasons for this calamity if you didn't already know was online downloads, since film makers lose lots of future money whilst a film is on at the cinema, people who don't visit the cinema download it, rather than wait a lengthy time for the DVD release, so by the time the DVD officially comes out they lose sales to people who have already downloaded it. So basically they are trying to cut the timescale down that people can download it to actually own it on DVD. 17 weeks is far too long for Disney, which is why they are trying to get it down to 12. This is the problem that all film makers in these times are having to face with the world of the internet and downloading.. :roll:

My question is why this film in particular, and will it only be for this one, or is this the start of a new trend by Disney..  :?:

Could this be the start of Disney buying a great amount of shares in particular cinema's and end up owning a monopoly of them..  :?:

Pause for thought..  :o

dagobert

I've just read on a German website, that Alice in Wonderland will not be boycotted Germany, Austria, Portugal and Spain. The reason is that the DVD release will be after 17 weeks and not after 13 weeks like in the UK.

Here's a link, but it is in German:
http://www.focus.de/kultur/kino_tv/alic ... 83375.html

-breeno-

I'm actually very surprised the boycott in the UK is actually happening.  At first I thought it'd be nothing more than a publicity stunt we now know it's official.  A friend of mine who lives in Maidstone was telling me how the Odeon where she lives has no posters etc last week, this basically spelt confirmation for me.  Does anyone know if the Irish Omniplex will be involved in this?  As that's the only cinema in our town (which i might add is 3D-less :roll: ), i'm pretty sure that they aren't involved but my local cinema have a habit of for some reason not showing particular movies (The Damned United and Red Cliff being to most recent examples i can think of, i'm sure there's more recent though..)

Anyway in an attempt to move away from the boycott theme.  IGN.com have an exclusive clip featuring the Cheshire Cat, voiced by Stephen Fry.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/dor/objects/14 ... Alice.html

Hmmmm.  Call me Mr. Negative but i don't think Fry's voice fits onto the cat at all.  The cat looks too freakish and unpredictable to have a voice like his, just doesn't feel right to me.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Masamune

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I couldn't disagree more! That little clip has just had me squealing with joy! I think the voice suits Cheshire perfectly. Of course I still much prefer Sterling Holloway, since his voice was quite unique, but I still think Stephen Fry has done a fabulous job.

Anthony

Oh quelle surprise, just in time... http://www.odeon.co.uk/miscellaneous/al ... erland.htm

IMAX 3D here I come!! *empties bank account*

DLP-Photos.com

Now this clip is great - great voice acting by Mr. Fry, beautiful animations and some very funny moments.

The "I never get involved in politics" comment really made me laugh :)

I hope to see it on the premiere next thursday, but the tickets are still not for sale here in Aalborg yet :(
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

svenneke1

Now Belgium is also following... :roll:

:x  :x  :x  :x

Snow_White_Girl

Good news! Odeon have announced today that they have abandoned the boycott after talks with Disney!!  :D/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8536195.stm

\":lamp:\"