Should I spend my savings to upgrade from Santa Fe to Disneyland Hotel??

Started by 2bigkids2weekids, September 09, 2017, 08:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2bigkids2weekids

My husband and I are bringing our two kids to Disneyland in December this year, it will be our second visit. Last year we stayed in Hotel New York, this year we booked Santa Fe. I'm now having a head wobble and thinking I might splurge between £1000-£1500 to upgrade to the Disneyland Hotel for our 4 night trip. We only pay for basic room and breakfast as we use Disney Village for our meals (kids are only 2 and 4 and they love the village). I'm looking for advice as to whether this would be worth it!

I've recently been diagnosed with two chronic illnesses, affecting my joints and making me sore and tired a lot of the time. I feel guilty that my family have been affected by this and I want them to have an amazing time again at Disney. I'm thinking that if I needed a rest, walking back to Disneyland Hotel would be easier and more enjoyable for everyone. Also it would be a special treat for us all, more magical, once in a lifetime type stuff. My mother-in-law passed away suddenly last week and I'm thinking just go for it, the Disneyland Hotel magic would be a nice way to cheer up my husband and daughter, as well as making practical life easier given my illness.

What do you all think? Is it too extravagant to upgrade just for my convenience? Would it be more sensible to pay to upgrade to Hotel New York or Sequoia Lodge for proximity to the park? I would pretty much be spending most of my savings to upgrade to the Disneyland Hotel but my heart is telling me to go for it, we'd love to do an annual trip but life is unexpected and this could be our last trip for whatever reason. My head is telling me be sensible with money...

All advice and opinions very welcome, thanking you in advance!
Hotel New York - December 2016
Booked for Santa Fe - December 2017

justlikeidreamedit

Sequioa is lovely in December. Big roaring fire in the bar and very relaxed atmosphere. Golden Forest will give you a few extra perks but rooms may not be available now. Disneyland Hotel is great but the main advantage is distance from park. The rooms are similar layout to other hotels with nice decor and feel. To me, not worth the great increase in price. What about a Christmas themed room at New York or Newport Bay with decorations and gifts?

claire2281

I agree with the other post - I'd try for a Golden Forest room in Sequoia Lodge. Not as much money, closer than the Santa Fe and you get lots of nice perks such as a hot breakfast. And SL is the perfect hotel for winter. It's so cosy.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Slimy yet satisfying

Unless your illness and reduced mobility is going to really impact your holiday I would be inclined to stay put. You are hardly in your room and at 2 n 4 your kids are not going to care either. £1000+ is a heck of a lot of treats Auberge and Inventions, Glowtinis and Bibbidy bobbity makeovers, Buffalo Bills best seats and as many plushies as you can fit in your case. I think I would rather spend my time saying "Yes you can have that" rather than having a nicer place to sleep. We have stayed at the Santa Fe many times and the kids love it!
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Mattj500

I seem to remember a little vehicle that takes guests with reduced mobility between hotels and parks,  does anyone know for sure?

Andybear

Quote from: Mattj500 on September 09, 2017, 01:10:42 PM
I seem to remember a little vehicle that takes guests with reduced mobility between hotels and parks,  does anyone know for sure?

I don't know about them but the on site hotels have buses that take people to and from the parks. 

samuelvictor

I'm sorry to hear of your mobility problems. Only you know how much stuff will physically affect you and how much you can comfortably cope with.

But, as others have pointed out, the price difference is huge and really a hotel is only a "place to sleep"... the extra money could buy a LOT of food, souveniers etc. We always prioritise having more spending money for the kids over a fancier hotel, as not having to always say "no" feels like you are "richer" than having a nice hotel but penny pinching through the day.

Obviosuly its completely your call though! I know you'll have a fantastic holiday either way.

2bigkids2weekids

Thanks everyone, we opted to stay put at Santa Fe! Keeping the extra money for extra treats for the kids. We agree that we really will only be sleeping at the hotel, we'll go at a slower pace round the parks and rest longer when we stop at the Disney Village for food, plus we'll be able to get the disabled pass so hopefully shorter queuing times will make the days easier. The kids won't really notice which hotel we are in anyway, they'll just love being back in mickey mouse land! Thanks again for all the replies, really appreciate it
Hotel New York - December 2016
Booked for Santa Fe - December 2017

aj2703

I'd go in between. Sequoia Lodge as said has a lovely log fire that would warm you and your joints up nicely in the evening. Yes it may cost a bit extra but no where near the amount the Disney Hotel would. You should still have a shed load of cash left over to spend on the kids and hubby too.

I have never walked to Santa Fe but did go to the Cheyenne just out of curiosity. It seemed like a hell of an extra walk from the Sequoia to there so it would seem even longer from the parks and village i'd have thought. Not sure how late the shuttle buses run but from the morning and during the day I am sure you could use one of them if you didn't fancy the walk from the hotel to the parks.