Disney Characters at Disneyland Paris

Started by Kristof, March 19, 2007, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disney-john

Quote from: "justjes"Just returned from a lovely trip. We´ve seen lots of characters this time. We went in line for the princesses, (we got Belle) Goofy and the candy machine, Mickey Mouse and Jack Skellington. But am I the only one who  thinks it´s a very chaotic experience to meet chartacters if there isn't a line?
 Characters arrive and people starts to push around to get an autograph and picture.
If you´re unlucky you´re standing there and wait and the character dissapears again.
It happened to us with Ariel. We were waiting and waiting but every time she turned her  back at us, (My 4 year old daughter and me) people who came after us got their picture but we didn't and after 20 minutes waiting she went away.
 My daughter thinks now Ariel is a mean princes. She was really sad and cried,
Why does Disneyland Paris not let people stand in line with all the characters, it's possible in Disneyworld so why not in Paris?

One of my biggest complaints about dlrp this, went for Halloween a few years back and there was nearly a crush when jack skellington appeared, complained at town hall about it (first time I've ever complained at disney)  with the pushing no one gets a good experience or a good photo, so it takes away the "magic"
"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

Monksbain

I have been to DLRP during the Halloween Season this year and last year and both times I have had to queue to see Jack Skeleton and Sally.  Also if you go to Main Street there are places there where you can queue for characters such as Mickey and Pooh Bear, then there is the Princess Pavilion as well. The characters around Fantasyland and in the Studios are in plentiful supply and if they disappear will normally be out again 15 minutes later, cast members do need a break as everyone else does when they are working/performing. As a tip I would suggest going to the characters who have less of a crowd around them if your looking to meet as many characters as possible, however, if your after just the one character in particular unfortunately you are just going to have to be patient and the princesses are the most popular unfortunately so  you will need to be extremely patient and as I said before there is the option of the Princess Pavilion.

justjes

I know there are places wich has lines. Yes I have been to the princess Pavilion. I also know castmembers needs a brake. But what I meant was, why not a line with every character. It´s like that in Disneyworld. Every character has a line And when the castmember has a break they just tell the people in line, just wait a few moment she/he will be back in a moment.
In that way no disappoitment, no one who can go before his or her turn..

jonathan

In past trips to DLP the character appearnces (non meet and greets) have been a bit chaotic.  Jack Sparrow being the worst.  i dont know if theyve moved him but the small space he used to stand in ended up with him nearly getting crushed.

On most occasions however the CM has taken control and in many cases so has the character, if it can speak like Mary Poppins or Peter Pan, and have made sure that young children are seen first and not pushed out of the way by adults without children.  Mary Poppins was actually very forceful and told anybody who didnt have children under 11 to move back and let the young children get in lol.

Jens

@jonathan: Excuse me, but what you said about Mary Poppins telling adults without children to move back is horrible... Disneyland is for people of all ages. In fact, the mission statement of all Disney Parks is "We create happiness by providing the finest in entertainment to people of ALL AGES everywhere". If everyone is patient EVERYONE should have an equal chance of getting to a character in my opinion. You also learn your children to be patient by doing this! Can't believe anyone would endorse the fact of ANYONE getting pushed back if they are just there together with everyone else... As Walt Disney once said: "Adults are only kids grown up, anyway" ;)

benjy

Thats true but having worked at DLP as a Stage Manager its more of a health and safety thing for children under 11 to be separated from aggressive adult, its just an unfortunate world that some adults (and never the people who are true disney fans!) have no regard for others even little children! So it's true that Disney is for all ages however the characters (as Disney Employee's) have a legal responsibility to make sure everyone is safe especially children. However the characters minder should have been making more noise  on the situation, after all that is why every character has to have a CM with them!
Working xmas 2012!!! \":D\"

jonathan

Exactly benjy this is the problem.  Children are waiting to get their autographs and photos when adults, and whether its for all ages or not, I dont feel it appropriate for adults to barge children out the way to get close to the characters.  It was never suggested or worded by Mary Poppins that adults arent welcome but that they have to let the young kids get there chance.

This has been a common occurence on our trips.  Normally the CMs do all the telling off but maybe on this occasion the CM was well used to Mary Poppins outspoken attitude.  Really she was getting annoyed because she was calling the children forward from the crowd for photos and the adults mainly teenagers but adults in the eyes of DLP pricing were just barging through.  Mary Poppins was obviously aware that this was very impolite and dangerous and didn't mind telling people so lol

orsie

Ok so, I now come under the 'adult' pricing. Ok. I love seeing the characters. I am quite small. I never barge anyone out of the way. I wait my turn and have some foreign women literally hitting me with some part of her body most of the time. So why, once I get to the front of the line, is it ok for me to then be pushed back by the staff themselves? Luckily all of the characters i have met have been very good with me and realised i am patient and bring me forward. (LOL, I remember Mr. Vader.) One of the best was Jack Sparrow earlier this year who noticed I was being patient and then spent about 5 minutes talking and interacting with me. (I was wearing one of those Agent P hats that makes you look like your wearing two hats, now that made for interesting conversation!)
Previous Disney Trips

DLRP 2007 Sequoia Lodge (15th Anniversary)
DLRP 2008 Sequoia Lodge (15th Anniversary Extended)
DLRP 2009 Sequoia Lodge (Mickey\'s Magical Party)
DLRP 2011 Sequoia Lodge (Magical Moments Festival)
DLRP 2012 Sequoia Lodge (20th Anniversary)
DLRP 2013 Sequoia Lodge (20th Anniversary Extended)

nathalie

When I was there last week on Halloween's day / evening, luckely things didn't got out of hand that much.
It mainly got out of control when there wasn't a special booth / stage / CM closeby.

For Jack Skellington everyone was wating in a line the CM's had made in advance.

Jack Sparrow had a CM with him, who told someone who would come on stage, to go back, and that Jack would pick you out of the crowd on his own, which was cool "I think I'll ... take ... you now".

Same went with most villains, speaking and non-speaking.
If they could speak, like Gaston, and he would point to a child/person, and someone else got "shoved in his face" he would nicely tell that person/child to step back because he pointed out someone.
And characters like Jafar all did the hand-gestures, they would pick someone, and if someone else would stand next to him, he'd made a gesture with his hand the other person needed to leave.

There wasn't a CM around Facilier, and he didn't say anything of his own really, and bumping and pushing was quite bad when we were waiting for a picture with him.

petals

Quote from: "disney-john"
Quote from: "justjes"<snip> (first time I've ever complained at disney)  </snip>
Can I ask you where you made the complaint.

We've recently come back from paris and between rude people in the parks/stores and character mobs is the only way to describe it I wouldn't be incouraged to ever visit again.

They need to have controlled lines for all characters. It would really help as not only would more people get to see the character and take their picture but also the character would probably be more comfortable istead of being crushed up against a fence. I also agree with the point Disney is for all ages not just those under the age of 12. I went to try meet a few characters surrounded by a mob and failed everytime because the cm would go stay away the character will pick who is next but the characters only picked the children and I know kids are kids whatever but I pay money to get into the park I expect to be able to get pictures comfortably with the characters as well. The best character I saw was Mickey Mouse in Disneyland hotel because not only did he not come when the CM told him to leave as he wasn't finished with the people waiting to see him but also when people tried to skip the queue he told them in his non verbal way to wait and pointed out the semi line that had formed!

disney-john

Quote from: "petals"
Quote from: "disney-john"
Quote from: "justjes"<snip> (first time I've ever complained at disney)  </snip>

They need to have controlled lines for all characters. It would really help as not only would more people get to see the character and take their picture but also the character would probably be more comfortable istead of being crushed up against a fence. !

Agree with that.
I complained at town hall, filled in a form and heard nothing back....
"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

disney-john

Wondering does anyone know where I could meet and get a photo with grumpy. Never seem to have got the chance at either dlrp and wdw, and you'd think with all the merchandise he has, a meet and greet would be cool..... I'm also turning into a bit of a grumpy apparently! Lol

Jens

To make myself completely clear, I don't want adults to barge in front of children. Same goes for children however... They can not barge in front of other people who have been waiting longer (even IF they are adults). It's basic education.

What I mean, is that if everyone waits patiently, EVERYONE should have a shot at a photo with a character. As said by someone before, adults also pay to get in to the park (mostly even more than children) and so they have the right to do so. Disney Characters are there for everyone, and adults are only children grown up anyway...

In reply to the lines for characters: It is not always possible, believe me. If you create a line for a character, bare in mind that they are mostly there for a half an hour and everyone that is going to stand in that line will EXPECT to see that character. When the waiting line gets over half an hour and the character leaves, everyone that is still left in that line will surely complain. Close it in advance, you say? Easier said than done... When the cm closes the line they do not have control on what happens with the character anymore, so when the cm is by itself, that is a big nono. Also bare in mind that mostly, a bunch of characters only have 1 cm with them so in that case it is out of the question to start making lines and keeping everything in order (no line jumping, etc). Sorry, there's a lot more to it people, believe me...

However... CM's frequently use a system that doesn't need a line. A semi circle is made around the character and the character basicly peels away the layers of people by selecting them by hand, going from the left to the right. That way the first row that was there first gets served first and everytime someone gets chosen someone from the second row (who arrived later) steps up meaning they will be on the next round when the character starts from the left again when he/she finished on the right. This system works well, but is needed to be explained to guests frequently to make sure everyone sticks to it... When the character leaves, the CM mostly allows a photo with all the children together or refers to a later hour the character will be there (and mostly with no hastle, as there were no expectations you do have with a waiting line).

Hope this clears some stuff up...

disney-john

In wdw they have queues, and everyone gets a quality meet and greet and some wonderful photos, they have a cast member at the end of he queue to prevent guest joining the queue who are not going be able to see the character, but say when they would be back.

For example we were going to join the queue to meet Alice in the uk pavlion in Epcot, to be told Alice had to go for a cup of tea with the mad hatter, but she would be back at such and such a time....

There is nothing to prevent dlrp doing this.

orsie

Quote from: "disney-john"In wdw they have queues, and everyone gets a quality meet and greet and some wonderful photos, they have a cast member at the end of he queue to prevent guest joining the queue who are not going be able to see the character, but say when they would be back.

For example we were going to join the queue to meet Alice in the uk pavlion in Epcot, to be told Alice had to go for a cup of tea with the mad hatter, but she would be back at such and such a time....

There is nothing to prevent dlrp doing this.

I wish they would do this at DLP. But then, I guess WDW has a lot more staff and funding.
Previous Disney Trips

DLRP 2007 Sequoia Lodge (15th Anniversary)
DLRP 2008 Sequoia Lodge (15th Anniversary Extended)
DLRP 2009 Sequoia Lodge (Mickey\'s Magical Party)
DLRP 2011 Sequoia Lodge (Magical Moments Festival)
DLRP 2012 Sequoia Lodge (20th Anniversary)
DLRP 2013 Sequoia Lodge (20th Anniversary Extended)