Bulk buy Pins on EBay

Started by EeyoresTail, December 07, 2013, 10:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EeyoresTail

Has anyone bought the 25 pin sets on eBay from peacey5462? They say that they are authentic Paris pins that can be traded but at such a ole price are they really real. I think the kids would love to do some trading on our next visit.

polar vixen

we've bought them to trade the last 2 years, and never had a problem.  Have fun trading!  (And it's really exciting when they arrive in the post, and you can look through and see if there's any you want to keep too!)

smudgepuss

When I was looking, I decided against their pins due to the feedback that they were scrappers.  Granted only 4 in the last year, but how many people can spot dodgy pins and then go to the bother of leaving negative feedback?  There are a lot of pins out there which either didn't hit quality control and should have been scrapped, or the factory's produced extra unauthorised pins (without usual attention to finish).

They've got a number of indivdual pins listed at the moment that I'd question, mostly due to:
Poor finish eg metal feathering round the edges not properly filed off - if they're being sold by Disney there's high quality control.
Having 5 of the same 'limited edition' pin listed for £2 (even the biggest editions are about 3000, you'd only really buy a number of the genuine ones to sell on for a profit, but that's way under cost price)
Incorrect character details (Dale's teeth but Chip's nose)
Only showing the backs of the pins in a handful of photos

At the end of the day, most Disney pins off Ebay are tradeable in the parks, but because people don't check, not because they're legit!  You won't be able to swap them with a collector (or possibly clued-up staff), but they'll probably be tradeable with Joe Public (who have most likely also bought a job lot of cheap pins off ebay!).

And if you don't decide to go for these pins and buy direct from Disney (the only way to guarantee they're legit), make sure what you're swapping for looks alright.  It would suck to swap a £6 proper pin for a 50p fake!

Paris: 1997, 2003, 2008, 2012 (Santa Fe), 2013, 2014 (Cheyenne)
Tokyo: 2009, 2015

polar vixen

If they are fakes, and a couple of the ones I've had do seem cheap, most have had the mickey motif stamped on the back, and we've only ever traded with cast members, or at the pueblo trading post, who've been happy to swop.