Disney Dreams! — Nighttime Spectacular

Started by Festival Disney, April 14, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

Well spotted Anthony. What's up with the lack of anything in the middle of Central Plaza? If it's true, then that's a real disappointment. I was hoping for a large Fountain of Nations-esque fountain there.

Still, everything else looks really good. The projections and animation on the castle are World-class.

Josh

I guess that's our fault for wildly expecting that there could be a fountain there. XD All these announcements and preparations for the show are coming out of nowhere!

Did anyone notice this, by the way, when they mentioned the two projection fountains?

It looks like they're raised up in the air. Maybe they're on a retractable pole?

Also, you've got to hand it to the Imagineers. The castle has a complicated design; it's not easy to project a clear image on.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Lorum

This is absolutely incredible! This is what I was expecting for DLP. Well, I have always criticized DLP's nighttime shows, but I can say this is more than I expected.

For now, we have:

- Castle projections, using the most innovative mapping software (belive me, mapping is a hard work).

- Two water screens, floating in the air. How will they lift up the hydroschild and its pipe? Will it be placed in position before the show starts?

- Seeing the most recent photos the fountains won't make any movement, at the moment. Answering someones question, we could say that the "brown part" is the "water pump", but it is more complicated. In some types of fountains, air compressed is used to shoot water into the air. The water is in a tube, then you have air compressed in a tank connected to the tube. When you release the air, it is forced to get into the tube and pushes the water out. Sometimes, a pump is not enough. If you want to know more about that, ask me.

- Water nozzle types. If we look at the picture above (the 3D model), we see a group of blue fountains, and a more reduced group of red fountains which go higher into the air. The first one could be "grid fountains" nozzles and the second  "geyser fountains" nozzles. What do you think?
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

Disney_Dreamer

Everything for the 20th anniversary looks amazing, this especially. If we do go this year then I cannot wait to see this. If it is as good as it looks from the video, I will be going back night after night.

CafeFantasia

Here are a couple of better screenshots, taken from that Dreams video Disney recently put out:

peter

I'm just wondering, what are the pole things in central plaza on those screenshots?

CafeFantasia

I would've thought they're either lighting columns, or speaker columns. Perhaps columns with both lighting and speaker equipment on them?

claire2281

Just watching that video I had a rather embarrassing total flail of excitement.

One question - will this be running at Christmas too? My mind is drawing a total blank as to what 'normal procedure' is. We were planning to go at Christmas but if this is only running through to the end of summer peak, may have to make another trip!

it does seem this is a very good way of getting around the fireworks restrictions at DLP.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Josh

It should be running at Christmas; yes.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

littlemermaid83

I'm so glad DLP are finally giving us a preview. We know how they like to hold their cards to there chests.

Dreams looks amazing, except I'm concered how people not standing near the front will get a decent view of everything. Those screen projection thingys look quite low down.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

dlrpkris

This news is a dream. Since my visit to DLR last summer, I must admit my love for DLP died down a little. Those projections are out of this world though! So professional, detailed... the motion... the characters, contrast and colours are stunning. I can see why they took down the controversial tree however. It really was blocking large areas of the projection. Maybe the argument for not having fountains in Central Plaza also? I'd bet money on hidden fountains around the plaza for the finale however... just like WOC.

The guys at Disney really seem to show a lot of pride in this project, which gives me hope. I know it's their job to keep up the hype, but the music especially seems to be a key focus for them. I guess it's comparatively cheaper to create a great score to boost the feel of the show than having a few more fountains, yes, but it's also what carries the show. WOC IS genuinely amazing, but the music was stitched together and as many people have pointed out, has zero narrative and no reoccurring characters. Our show seems to address all of those factors from the start which means they're open to improving their previous work.

I do wonder how effective these water screens are going to be however. I don't feel they're needed so much and we've never seen them used before with an object so closely behind either.

I love the fact the show has been built around the castle... plussing our most gorgeous asset. It's a great solution to some rather tame firework displays recently and arguably the best location for it too - HOWEVER I guess this show essentially could be in the Studios. I know it wouldn't suit the TOT building and the charm/magic of the show might get lost there, but it's a larger projection space and would give people more of a reason to stay
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

dlrpkris

Oh. And the idea of making the castle into a birthday cake complete with 20 candles is great. Who needs to deface the entire castle during the day to illuminate it at night. That is what I'm seeing in the video, right?

My favourite effect from the video was certainly the water pouring over the castle. And people splashing in pools of water on the castle too. Beautiful and totally different to anything we've seen before. This really makes a fool of The Magic, The Memories and You now :P
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"

Festival Disney

Here's some close up pictures of the fountains!

Source and more pictures
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

dlrpkris

Very cool. Didn't they say that fire will erupt all around the castle? I wonder when the flamethrowers get installed too :)

Anyone notice some slightly different shots at the end of the Dutch version of the promo films. Lovely Lion King clips there!

[youtube:2awoqbql]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJiLb4RjR40[/youtube:2awoqbql]

Josh

Hmmm. All of the spouts in the different types of fountains are painted bronze. Maybe they're trying to hide them in the water?

Also, nice find, Kris. :D
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]