Splash Mountain

Started by Owain, October 30, 2006, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinHood

Wow that would be great if dlp could see its own splash mountain.I was just thinking maybe we dont have the right weather all year round to have awater ride but then like someone else mentioned alton towers drayton manor park etc all have great water rides so i think splash mountain there would be fantastic.Its maybe my favourite ride at wdw i'm not sure but its amazing and maybe it would go well in dlp frontierland? when i go in july i will know more about where other people have been saying it could go but at wdw its in frontierland and it fits in perfectly.I think dlp needs awater ride they dont have any do they?
kristys prince

Parkfisch

As I already wrote very often:
Alton Towers and other British parks are only open between March and October. Rain is not the problem, but cold temperature.

Quote from: "Japper"in this hot summerdays you really can say that their is need for splash mountain!

And the resort doesn't only see hot summerdays, so it's not a good attraction there.
Other european Parks that are opened in winter close their water rides that time of the year, but that's no option for Paris (would just be not Disney like to close a major attraction for some months, especially since Splash Mountain would be a major ride compared to most of the other water rides with no theming that can be found throughout the continent).

Quote from: "Japper"Their isn't really something else to get wet in!

...which is good and there's no need to change that.
Pirates of the Caribbean offers cool air and a bit "sprayed" water which should be enough. In winter it's warm inside. There are also swimming pools.
And in summer there are often water stations where you can go through and cool down.

Fever

Splash Mountain isn't THAT wet anyway. Why is a water ride an issue due to cold weather? Thorpe Park in the UK have one of the wettest rides that I have ever been on in the world (Tidal Wave) and come November (when the park closes until Feb), there are always guests on it, in those freezing months.

Guests love water rides and Splash is such a wonderful dark ride, that there will be guests on it all through the year.
Welcome foolish mortals

luke85

I would be so thrilled to see Splash Mountain in some form at DLP! A log flume is such a staple for most theme parks, it just seems like such a natural addition to our park. Having ridden DL's Splash Mountain last year I can see why it is so popular, the characters in it are so great, and I loved the combination of dark ride features combined with the drop, which I don't remember getting that wet on.

I know some are opposed to the Song of the South theming due to its controversial past, but the only characters that are featured in the ride are the animated ones, so the "racial" subtexts of the film are not included within the ride. Even if this was not the theme, I would still LOVE to see an E-ticket flume ride somewhere in DLP!

disneyreporter

You guys in France have honestly been without a Splash Moutain for all of these years?  I can't believe this attraction wasn't added when the park opened.  It's such a classic attraction.  I wonder what WDI's logic was by not including it in the Paris park but including it in the others.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
(http://www.disneyreporter.com)
Four years of magic and still going strong.

Fever

I believe it was mainly due to the story being pretty unknown in France.
They'll get one though, the sooner the better IMO
Welcome foolish mortals

Remco K.

Quote from: "disneyreporter"I wonder what WDI's logic was by not including it in the Paris park but including it in the others.
Quote from: "Fever"I believe it was mainly due to the story being pretty unknown in France.
I also think there wasn't enough money to do another big attraction. Otherwise they probably would've build something along the lines of Discovery Mountain instead anyway.

Owain

Quote from: "Remco K."
Quote from: "disneyreporter"I wonder what WDI's logic was by not including it in the Paris park but including it in the others.
Quote from: "Fever"I believe it was mainly due to the story being pretty unknown in France.
I also think there wasn't enough money to do another big attraction. Otherwise they probably would've build something along the lines of Discovery Mountain instead anyway.

Ye thats a good point remco because as we know splash mountain is an E ticket (A.ka - a very exspensive ride!)

But i agree that it should be built soon   :D

luke85

Regarding the theme, perhaps WDI could take an idea that was meant for WDW and use it in Paris and incorporate a "splash mountain" type drop into it? Western River Expedition! It could potentially fit very well within Frontierland and Thunder Mesa and would finally get this great concept realised!

Willow

I would love a totally new take on the Splash Mountain idea.

I've been thinking about a Mount Prometheus version. Instead of using a Journey to the centre of the Earth like the original Mount Prometheus I would like an Indiana Jones adventure-like theme. It would kinda unite the rumours of a Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones Adventure.

It could work very well and be slightly darker than the Song of the South movie. From what I have heard the Tokyo Disney Sea exclusivity rights on its attractions runs out shortly and there would be time for a Mount Prometheus either in the 20th (instead of Little Mermaid) or 25th anniversaries.

I reckon there would be enough space in the patch of grass in Adventureland to build a Mountain, its may be slightly smaller than the original Mount Prometheus but it would still be a very impressive structure. Not sure about planning regulations in the Adventureland area of the park so if anyone knows of any restrictions on the site let me know.

It would be a impressive E-ticket that could easily generate a very long queue.

david

thats a good idea willow- but i think that journey to the centre of the earth would work pretty well if they adapted it to be a water ride. in the book there is quite a lot of watery scenes (along with a big waterfall at its climax). The original plans were for splash to be in frontierland but it might be more suited to either adventureland or discoveryland (as it is not western and is based on a jules verne book like SM)

Fever

NO! Keep it classic. There are not enough classic animation rides. Maybe that's why the animated scenes of Song of the South make it so magical. If a Pocahontas version doesn't appear, the other more people friendly option would be pooh..not as Frontierland as Pocahontas would be, but could still work.

As all my posts on the subject however, I'm still preying for Pocahontas-sooo much potential. Great colours, music and fits the theme well.
Welcome foolish mortals

nemo1981

hi guys!

i`ve been to disneyland paris 3 times in winter(twice in december,one time in november).
and to be honest i have to say,that a splash mountain wouldn`t work in paris....it was freezingly cold when i was there and i would never have gotten on a water ride. i think what a lot of you forget is that you have to be in a certain "warm and sunshine-weather-mood" to go on a ride like this.imagine riding spash mountain with cold, rainy or foggy weather....it would never be the experience like in florida or L.A....and it`s often foggy in our european kingdom...even if they manage to not make you wet somehow, you still would feel cold with all the water aroumd you... i understand that you all want this attraction in our kingdom too,but you would also want to have the same experience like in the U.S.-parks,and i think that`s not possible....

let`s all dream of it, and maybe they really build splash mountain and maybe it also works....but first and foremost we have to hope that they build a great new ride at all. and i would rather like to see an attraction that works perfectly 365 days per year and that is perfect for dlrp....
so my opinion is that the indiana jones adventure would work better, but maybe disney surprises me,who knows... :wink:

Willow

There are loads of different water rides around Europe and they are popular enough.
You don't get soaked on Splash Mountain.
If I remember rightly there is a pretty cool rapids ride in one of the Scandanavian countries.

RnRCj

Quote from: "Willow"There are loads of different water rides around Europe and they are popular enough.
You don't get soaked on Splash Mountain.
If I remember rightly there is a pretty cool rapids ride in one of the Scandanavian countries.

But other European parks close in Autumn, so they don't need to worry as much about the cold.

Personally, I would rather see IJA than Splash Mountain. It seems like a much more exciting ride and has better theming in my opinion. It looks more re-rideable as well.