Phantom Manor Update?

Started by pfspock, February 04, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezra

Where Manor updates are conerned; yes its in need of some... or at least a referb. But I'm not sure how they can update the Phantom in the mirror scene; yes there's the new interactive Hitchhikers at WDW... but that's not exactly the Phantom's style is it? Hmmm.

And they used to have the Phantom wandering around the queue area didn't they?

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

MrsPirate

Last week the ghost was back in the mirror and for the first time I also noticed arms around the edge of the Doom Buggy. Has that effect always been there and I've just not noticed.

A number of the AA's were not working, the Mayor was static with his head in his outstreached hand and a number of dancing ghosts in the ballroom scene were not moving. It was really dark in some places and much too fast.

Excellent CM's as usual. On one ride the audio stopped working in the stretching room so the CM gave the speech instead. It was the only time people actually shut up to listen to it.

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018

Ezra

I'm not sure; concepts etc. have always said that the arms were at the side of the buggy but I've not noticed them even on pics. Interesting that they're they're now.

Thanks for the update; I hope they can get the AAs working soon.

Josh

Quote from: "MrsPirate"It was really dark in some places and much too fast.
Oh, I'm glad it's not just me. A lot of serious maintenance is needed. Plus, when it's going to fast, the buggies are always bouncing as they turn. I doubt it takes that long to load the vehicles, so I don't see why they can't go slower.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Ezra

I know its not the Manor but the Mansion has had some similar issues before; including being too dark in places and going too fast... from the reports I've heard.

Anyhow one thing I think might be good for an update with the Manor would be the piano playing shadow; maybe they could somehow get an effect similar to the one at DLR's Mansion in the attic scene.

DGRavenswood

Yes, the Phantom's arms have always been there in the mirrors.

And I don't think there's been any major change to the ride's speed, give or take a few seconds for technical reasons. Make it slower and you'll have a huge back-up queue between the stretching rooms and the load area, not to mention a longer queue in general.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Josh

But I remember the last time I rode on it, the ride slowed down for a few seconds and the doombuggies stopped bouncing left and right as they were moving. Plus, I'm sure I remember it going slower when I was younger.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Ezra

I do think they could of sped them up a little if that's the case then. I'm sure I've heard reports from the Mansion that are similar (Ummm... I think anyhow...). Did the scenes in general just seem to go by faster too? Also anyone know if there is an official ride time for Phantom Manor?

And about the Phantom; is it perhaps when the mirrors etc. get dusty that the arms don't seem to appear? I've been wondering.

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Josh"But I remember the last time I rode on it, the ride slowed down for a few seconds and the doombuggies stopped bouncing left and right as they were moving.

The ride gets slowed down to half speed on occasion to accomodate disabled visitors. This happens at the push of a button, though. Operators have no control over the ride's actual speed beyond that.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Josh

Hmm. It must be another reason for why they shake a lot.

OK, thanks. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

phantom

Just heard the rumour that PM will get an update/immense refurb just before Halloween 2013.

Source: http://www.thethemeparkguy.com/board/di ... expansion/

Ezra

Oh if the rumor is true does this mean it will reopen for Halloween next year? I'm just wondering when it will actually be closed for the update, as I want to visit next year and obviously want the Manor to be open.

Maybe I can go twice, once before update and again after.  :mrgreen:

Patrick89

Immense refurb sounds awesome, because it seemed that all of the "classic" rides like PotC, PM, BTM etc. were a little bit neglected recently. They should try to improve the shadow effect of the piano player, because the current one looks some kind of awkward...

By the way, concerning PM: Is it only my impression that close to nobody actually notices the changing paintings between the elevators and bording area? Everybody seems to hurry to get to the Doom Buggies without allowing any glance to their surrounding area . Two years ago on a rainy Octobre evening, besides me and two friends of mine, there were only about 10 other persons queuing with us. We quit the elevator first and stopped in front of the paintings with ostenation - suddenly everybody was extremely interested in them, and there was even a CM coming to see why all the people  took so long to get to the boarding area ;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

Ezra

I just hope they don't change too much if they do update it. Referb is great; and maybe a few extras... but nothing crazy. I guess the new WDW mirror effect would be okay, as long as they change it to more suit the Phantom.

About the paintings: Most folks tend to just hurry to the ride in all the Mansions; but the thing is with the DLR version and Phantom Manor if you stand around near the pantings and everyone else has gone to the ride... you get a good sense of atmosphere in that area until the next stretching room arrives.

DGRavenswood

Here's something that's relevant to our discussion of the original narration...

I had the occasion to upload a video of the 1990 recording sessions with Vincent Price, featuring some of his outtakes. You can hear some snippets of the original French narration and see him do his incredible laugh.

You can watch it on my Facebook page here. (No need to sign up.)
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook