creating a better resort

Started by peter, February 27, 2011, 06:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter

so i plan on improving the entire resort, as it needs alot of work. i'm starting off with studios so here goes. please comment on my ideas, and i will improve them.
So here is my idea for studios.

Here is the park map to show expansion:

First area, backlot:

The roads from tram tour to the gates next to rock n roller will be cleared and trees in the way moved. This will allow for a full sized parade. The armaggeddon show will be changed to maybe a pirates of the carribean movie special effects show, with a queue area. The blockbuster cafe building will be demolished and built double story and expanding back against the road, providing enough space for a buffet restaurant, shop(the shop would sell pirates of the carribean and aerosmith products and cafe. A tunnel will be built running underneath studio tram tour. This will lead to the expansion area, and a footpath can be built once construction is complete. Disruption would be minimal and rock n rollercoaster  and the stunt show could remain open during most of the work.

Next up, pixar place:

As seen on the park map, this area changes most. Animagique is getting old, so it would be changed to finding nemo the musical, it would need minor changes to the stage area, and decor, but no major construction. The art of Disney animation would be demolished and rebuilt, but as two storeys. So part of the building would become walt disney's story, as shown as the red area. The carpets ride could be moved to adventureland, and a new version of the dumbo system themed to pixar characters. The character meeting place would be demolished and it would be the entrance to sci-fi dine in, with the restaurant built between crush's coaster and costuming. At this point, a pixar souvenir cart area would be placed in the large, open space, and the area after walt disney's story would be named pixar place.
If there is not enough space for parade floats, the walt Disney/mickey statue would be moved to the place de stars, with fountains surrounding it. Large gates would be put next to studio tram tour for the parade floats to enter from a staff area. Another footpath would be built next to toy story land, leading to the expansion area.
These works would close attractions for up to a full year. However, work could be done at once, closing the entire animation studio area, speeding up work without having to worry about safety for guests.

Next we move into the expanded area, and what an area:

So, the tunnels for guests would lead to the current staff area behind the park. It would feature 3 rides, 1 water show arena, 1 stage area, 1 restaurant, 2 cafes and 2 shops. The works would also make a storage area for the parade floats, access roads for the new staff area, and a staff car park.
The whole expansion would be done at the same time. A large ride would be at the front, having a circular shape, possibly an eticket or toystory midway mania. To the right is a large, double story restaurant, with a capacity of several hundred, and an underground kitchen, giving more space to seat guests. Infront of ride A's queue area is the shop and cafe, and beyond that is a small, under 6's ride. This ride could in theory just be a themed ride they have bought off the shelf, as the park doesn't appeal to younger people enough outside of the toon area.
 To the right is a stage, the seating area about two thirds the size of the car stunt show. This stage would be home to an imported version of the Indiana jones stunt show from wdw. Shows would be presented in English and French, at scheduled times. Between this and the lake is a cafe and shop, including a path that could leads to future development behind the expansion.
At the far end of this new area is the studio lake. Here, a fireworks show can be hosted, along with mist screens, lasers, pyrotechnics and a large series of fountains, so fantasmic or world of colour could easily be used, but a new show would be ideal. Below is this area:

This image shows the top of the expansion. To the left is a new, reimagined version of the great movie ride. In this version, it is on a boat. Guests board with a guide "through the movies" as they start off seeing the beginnings of film, followed by animation in the beginnings, before the ride enters movie's biggest baddies. In this area there is a lift hill before a large animatronic baddie's arms swooped out and the boat travels down a slope, with water sprays entering the boats into a section on 4d films, before finally guests must put on the 3d glasses and see clips of 3d films, before finally returning to the boarding area.
Guests would queue up outside, with several actual movie props and wide areas that cast members could sell bottles of drinks in the summer, when the queues are over 50 minutes. They would then enter the building where they are moved to separate boarding areas, French guide and English guide.

So here is a timeline for things to happen:
•   Year 1: press release on expansion, but not of work on current park. groundbreaking on expansion, and studio tram tour closes for about a week or two(maybe more) to add the gate which will be used to let parade floats into park. It will be passed on as easier entrance for maintenance. Also, trees will be relocated from the forest area so that the staff areas can be built again.
•   Year 2: design period on parade begins. Armageddon closed for "general maintenance". During this period of time, it is stripped of all signs, electricals, etc. until only the building is left. Then it is demolished with no press release. Work on the roads and paths begin. Construction on lake and great movie ride begins, with 50% of forest needed to be cleared finished.
•   Year 3:construction of pirates special effects show begins. Advertising begins in the resort, with posters saying only "the studios is changing". Meanwhile, maintenance takes place on animagique, and work is done to adapt stage to be ready for the nemo musical, but as yet no information leaked on it. E-ticket ride's construction begins.
•   Year4: lake should be completed, and seating should begin to be built. All area for expansion should be ready, and work on the staff area begins. Studio tram tour closed again, with footpaths running under it constructed. This may keep the tour closed for many months. Area next to toy story where one footpath starts is cordoned off. Coffee area next to moteurs action cleared and work begins here as well. By july, advertising for pirates of the Caribbean special effects show begins, with a November opening. At opening, it is announced "art of Disney animation" will close indefinitely. Work on clearing the path for parade complete. By now, parade design should be finished, and construction of floats begins at WDI.
•   Year 5: great movie ride building complete. Queue area and inside attraction work begins. Mickey/walt statue removed for "needed maintenance". Mickey's hat from art of Disney put in it's position temporarily. Art of Disney animation is covered by Hollywood facades, while it is stripped bare. In September, press release of a multi million project on the entire resort (not specifying the studios). By end of year, art of Disney demolished, and during one night, the sorceror's hat removed and area paved over. No announcements on it.
•   Year 6: Work on e-ticket ride complete. Queue area begins on work. New art of Disney building begins, and press release on it ,not mentioning  walt disney's story attraction. Entrances for footpaths finished but covered up by fencing. Place des stars surrounded by construction fence and is removed. Within 2 months, fountains and walt/mickey statue placed in middle. Animagique closes. Large scale press release in which it is announced that toon studio will become pixar place, with finding nemo musical opening april in year 7. Carpets removed and new, pixar version added almost instantly. Floats finished and are stored at Anaheim.
•   Year 7: construction of Indiana jones show begins, along with construction of sci-fi dine in. Blockbuster cafe reduced to half capacity as half the building stripped of all fittings. Expansion cafes, restaurants and shops finished. Pixar souvenirs carts put in place, and art of Disney's exterior finishes with larger sorceror's hat placed as entrance. Work inside begins. Press release announces blockbuster cafe closing and restaurant of expansion will open in January. Three rides of expansion finished, and ride a is named.
•   Year 8: sci-fi dine in complete and opens mid September. Blockbuster cafe demolished and construction begins on new version. It includes aerosmith and pirates of caribean shop, cafe and double storey restaurant. All rides and show areas in expansion completed, with paving works nearly finished. Staff areas finished and parade floats are shipped over. The parade is announced along with details on water arena and stunt show. Art of Disney opens, as does walt disney's stories.
•   Year 9: advertising begins, as the park stays open until 10 o'clock on most nights during the summer, with live music, rides open late, nemo musical performing, fireworks and light show in moteurs action show area. Finally, in October, the expansion opens to the public. The new parade begins, and character meet and greets are available in front of the walt Disney/mickey statue, because the toon studio location was demolished.

strawjaw

Theres some great ideas in there - I especially like the idea of adding a new under 6 ride - there really isn't much for a young child to do in the Studios, other than the Cars Rally, flying carpets, and the new Slinky and parachute rides.

I quite like Animagique, but a change would be welcome - would be nice if they could do something from maybe Up!, as Nemo has already been brought into the proposed pixar place with Crush's Coaster.
Maybe even a 'Soarin' type ride with the house and all those balloons!! =) (I do love Soarin')

I like the idea of a bigger parade too - I wasn't overly keen on the Studios one when I went last year - preferring the Stars and Cars one they had in the Disneyworld studios.

Any expansion of what I feel is a undersized park, has got to be a good thing. Bravo.  =D>
Strawjaw

Previous Visits]
January 2006 - WDW - Grosvenor Resort, Honeymoon, 14 nights.
March 2010- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Santa Fe, 3 nights
March 2011 - Disneyland Paris, Hotel Santa Fe, 4 nights
December 2013 - Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, 5 nights

peter

Thanks for that

Josh

I really like the idea of using tunnels to expand the park behind the Tram Tour. I'm surprised no one has thought of that before. :? One thing that you're missing is the ratatouille ride, but other than that, you've got some really good ideas. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

strawjaw

Quote from: "Meph"I really like the idea of using tunnels to expand the park behind the Tram Tour. I'm surprised no one has thought of that before. :? One thing that you're missing is the ratatouille ride, but other than that, you've got some really good ideas. :)

Ah yes, I forgot about the Ratatouille ride - that should be great, and for small kids too.  :thumbs:
Strawjaw

Previous Visits]
January 2006 - WDW - Grosvenor Resort, Honeymoon, 14 nights.
March 2010- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Santa Fe, 3 nights
March 2011 - Disneyland Paris, Hotel Santa Fe, 4 nights
December 2013 - Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, 5 nights

peter

Quote from: "strawjaw"
Quote from: "Meph"I really like the idea of using tunnels to expand the park behind the Tram Tour. I'm surprised no one has thought of that before. :? One thing that you're missing is the ratatouille ride, but other than that, you've got some really good ideas. :)

Ah yes, I forgot about the Ratatouille ride - that should be great, and for small kids too.  :thumbs:

thanks for mentioning. is it possible to see the area of toy story and ratatouille on any maps? all maps of dlp being old has been very annoying.

Josh

It's a shame that Bing haven't done any birds eye helicopter photos.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

i know that a lot of people think they didn't think through the studios, but look at a map and you can see there is huge amounts of open space behind the park. they designed it as huge in the 1990s, it can become big.

Josh

Actually, that would explain why they put Catastrophe Canyon miles away from the rest of the tour. They must be planning on moving it over to that side eventually.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

Quote from: "Meph"Actually, that would explain why the put Catastrophe Canyon miles away from the rest of the tour. They must be planning on moving it over to that side eventually.

I know. Maybe the plan is to remove the trees, and giving room for major expansion

peter

i have a couple of ideas coming up, but would really like it if i could get some ideas to incorporate

peter

i have been working on a couple of ideas for disneyland park. nothing too big, but i would really appreciate ideas

peter

so, i have redesigned my plans for the studios. after this i'm going to start working on the resort, and then go onto dlp. here goes

as you can see, its much bigger than my original plan. it now consists of a lot of indoor space, so it really can be used in all weather.
its split into several studio areas.

as you enter a revamped studio 1, which now has large projection screens displaying disney movie trailers, you look out to a much longer hollywood boulevard. it moves all the way to the lake, where world of color is shown everynight. studio tram tour has been moved to the side, so there is much more space.

front lot
this is actually the entire existing studios park excluding toon studio, just known as a collective. but also part of this is the extended hollywood boulevard. to the left is the great movie ride, but in a new form. instead of on tracks, this is now a boat ride. opposite it is toy story midway mania. armageddon is replaced by a pirates of the carribean special effects show.

the great movie ride
this ride is a modernised version of the ride in florida. the queueline stays together until it splits in two, french and english. this chooses the language the ride is in. first you enter a room where you put on 3d glasses, and view a 4d film. meanwhile, the room slowly moves downwards, in a similar style to phantom manor. then you leave the room and board a boat with a tour guide. first scene, the history of cinema, then a cowboy shootout with real actors in the room. you next enter a room of the great villians. this happens up a lift hill, until suddenly, flashing lights show an animatronic medusa from the little mermaid, there is a large drop, and then a room featuring the heroes of cinema. the ride ends, and you leave through a shop selling photos of your group.

pixar studios
next we will turn to the right. toon studio becomes pixar studios, and features a double crush. the flying carpets are removed and in its place a copy of crush's coaster. this idea is actually by anthony, but it's really great. however a facade that makes it look like 1 big studio would be used.
animagique is replaced by finding nemo the musical. and an entrance from the ratatouille area leads into a new area, for other pixar characters, including one station for the walle based monorail style ride. this makes a loop of front lot and pixar studios, and stops at the first indoor studio area.

tv studios
here, behind aerosmith, is a large indoor space. it is actually underground, so that the area above can be used for staff and services. inside is an ice rink, where a disney on ice production is shown. there are also a collection of small, funfair style rides, themed to playhouse disney and some disney channel shows. there are several food stands, themed to disney tv characters. often, small shows pretending to film will be acted out. in the back are escalators leading up to the area behind the lake, backlot toilets in this area

backlot
in this area is the indiana jones stunt show, the sounds dangerous show, and a large ferris wheel of the same size as that at californian adventure. also there would be soarin' and several waterfront restaurants and cafes. right at the back of this area, is a tall rollercoaster, loosely themed to getting round the studios in time for filming.  often street entertainment would take place. this would also be home to a 3 key hotel based on the movies. this hotel would get 30 mins of extra magic hours every morning.

water lot
the final area is the water lot. here is studio tram tour, a water show, similar to the preshow for the tram tour in florida, a flume ride, and a ride similar to storm surge at thorpe park(look it up). throughout this area are squirters, water effects, and other things so that even if you don't go on a water ride, there is a good chance you will get wet. there are also toilets and one eaterie.

so what do you think, here is a timeline and costs breakdown. it is probably far from the actual costs but oh well.

timeline

year 1, ratatouille area is built. 100 million euros. work begins on new area for the studio tram tour

late year 2, studio tram tour is opened in new area, entrance by ratatouille area. 20 million euros

year 3, pixar studios forms, aladdin ride removed and work begins on crush's coaster 2.

year 4, crush's coaster 2 opens. 40 million euros. hollywood boulevard blocked off, studio tram tour's old entrance demolished

year 5, armageddon closes, building demolished, and rebuilt, but double storey. by december, work commences on attraction

year 6, pirates of the carribean special effects opens, 40 million euros. work on phase 3 of pixar studios begins.

year 7, pixar studios phase 3 complete, access still only by ratatouille, 15 million euros

year 8, hollywood boulevard works commence, excavating lake begins at same time.

year 10, excavation complete, piping for world of colour commences, and then lake is filled with water, 20 million euros. hollywood boulevard completed, opens august 130 million euros.

year 11, work begins on walle monorail, excavation for tv studios begins. showings of world of color during the summer.

year13, walle monorail finished, but is not opened to public.30 million euros. construction of tv studios begins.

year 14, water lot work begins, for works, reign of fire set does not get visited by tram tour.

year 15, tv studios construction complete, ice rink not finished, but walle monorail and the rest of this area opens. 150 million euros

year 16, ice stage opens, 20 millions. water lot opens,120 million studio tram tour fully open, entrance from pixar studios closed, now entrance is by hollywood boulevard

year 17, work on backlot.

year 18, backlot opens, 70 million euros. coaster and hotel not complete.

year 19, coaster and hotel open, 90 million euros, world of colour becomes a daily event.

2 decades of work, just under 1 billion euros investment

so, what do you think, please comment and give me ideas on how to improve

thanks

Josh

Interesting. What would happen on the Wall-e monorail? Would it just be a normal monorail with Wall-e theming, or would it have events similar to the film?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

Quote from: "Meph"Interesting. What would happen on the Wall-e monorail? Would it just be a normal monorail with Wall-e theming, or would it have events similar to the film?

I'm not certain. One idea is that you would ride in a pile of rubbish with walle pushing behind. It would probably be a basic monorail, but I guess dioramas of the film could be used to block the view to dlp