Marvel at Disneyland Paris

Started by dagobert, August 17, 2010, 03:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

We all know that TWDC purchased Marvel a year ago. Now I have seen on another forum that Marvel merchandise is now available at the HKDL resort.

Does someone know if Marvel merchandise is also available in the Disneyland Park, Walt Disney Studios or in Disney Village?

I can imagine to have this products in WDS or DV, but definately not in DLP. But Disney is selling the same merchandise in each shop in both parks and DV, so it could be that we will see Spiderman in Frontierland soon.

PetiteSirene

If they do I hope they keep it to the studios... There are certain things that you can only buy in the studios, there have been many times I've spotted something in the studios that I never saw in the Disneyland Park so we can hope. :?

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

davewasbaloo

They are indeed selling Marvel stuff in the DV, WDSP and Discoveryland (or they were in June).

What is interesting is here in Europe, Madame Tussauds has opened a Marvel 4D attraction (developed after Disney bought Marvel). For more info, see my report here:

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID513230.asp
since 2001 (many before that)

RockNRoller

Marvel at DLP, thats an interesting thought, could this be the theme for the new park?
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"They are indeed selling Marvel stuff in the DV, WDSP and Discoveryland (or they were in June).

What is interesting is here in Europe, Madame Tussauds has opened a Marvel 4D attraction (developed after Disney bought Marvel). For more info, see my report here:

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID513230.asp

I'm fine with Discoveryland, although I think it shouldn't be sold their, just because it's not related to the Discoveryland theme. But Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast and Toy Story also don't fit the theme. I like the attraction a lot, but I would prefere it to have in WDS.

Why did Disney purchase Marvel when they can't use their figures. I know they make a lot of money from the movies, but most of them are licensed to other studios like Paramount or Sony.

In Florida they can't use Marvel in the themeparks due to the licensing agreement between Marvel and Universal. Do you know if Disney can use Marvel for attractions in Paris (hopefully only in WDS), Tokyo or Hong Kong.

dagobert

Quote from: "RockNRoller"Marvel at DLP, thats an interesting thought, could this be the theme for the new park?

I hope not, because I'm not a big fan of superheroes. If Disney is going to build a third park it should be based on something original, like they did at WDW with Animal Kingdom and Epcot or in Tokyo with the DisneySea Park. I don't want a copy of these parks, although all three are great parks, but the new park should be based on something Disney. I hope you get what I mean.

davewasbaloo

Ok, so many items and so litte time :)

In the original masterplan, there was to be a European version of Epcot with a monorail link. Later versions became a hybrid of nature. I am not sure what the current thinking is now.

As for Marvel attractions, Universal and Osaka are allowed to keep what they have and pay a licence fee. Anything new however Disney get's first response at. The movies produced by others were those already in the pipeline when the deal was signed - Iron Man 2, Thor, Capt. America and the Avengers. Disney is the one spearheading the new Spiderman movie.

I would love to see what they could do with this. My concern is not what will happen to the parks, but more of I hope they do not over expose or water down Marvel. But regards to the parks, anything is better than cutesy toons. Though Disney are at their best when they do something completely original.

RockNRoller

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "RockNRoller"Marvel at DLP, thats an interesting thought, could this be the theme for the new park?

I hope not, because I'm not a big fan of superheroes. If Disney is going to build a third park it should be based on something original, like they did at WDW with Animal Kingdom and Epcot or in Tokyo with the DisneySea Park. I don't want a copy of these parks, although all three are great parks, but the new park should be based on something Disney. I hope you get what I mean.

I would love to see something original for DLP too, Im not too up on my European parks but I dont think there are any superhero themed parks around (correct me if Im wrong cos I would love to go) so in Europe it would be unique but I can see what you are saying, I am a Disney fan first, Marvel 2nd.

davewasbaloo

Closest thing we get to the superheros in Europe are MArvel 4D at Madame Tussauds, then some very lightly themed DC themed coasters at what was 6 Flags Holland and Warner Bros. Movie World in Madrid.

RockNRoller

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Closest thing we get to the superheros in Europe are MArvel 4D at Madame Tussauds, then some very lightly themed DC themed coasters at what was 6 Flags Holland and Warner Bros. Movie World in Madrid.

what a service, thanks  =D>

penfold12

Im still of the opinion that Disney Parks are at their best when they create an original attraction, BTM, Phantom Mannor, POTC etc, instead of trying to shoe horn a film into an attraction. That was originally the idea behind a Studio Park, where, as to quote old school Universal marketing "you ride the movies"! Great and a great theme for the studios, less contraining than the current "theme", and simply movie based attractions.

But the main park... that to me should be originals as it used to be. Heck some of them have proved so popular that they have become movies, but think of the quality.... The last top notch attraction for me from WDI was Expedition Everest, and again that was an original...

Malin

I really hate seeing Marvel toys filling up the store's inside the park. This stuff just does not belong in most of the places its been reported being stocked. Personally I would much prefer if Disney continued to lease these characters out on licensing deals. Disney have more than enough characters to build attractions on inside the parks without using Marvel Superhero's. If Disneyland Paris continue to insist on stocking this crap at the Resort. Than why not give up a permanent location space to Marvel merchandise inside the Village. Do not mix it in with the rest of the Disney branded items.

dagobert

Disney should use a part of the Hollywood Pictures Store in DV to sell their Marvel merchandise. This shop could be themed to MArvel's superheroes. MArvel just doesn't belong into the Disneyland Park.

mehdi5

Quote from: "dagobert"In Florida they can't use Marvel in the themeparks due to the licensing agreement between Marvel and Universal. Do you know if Disney can use Marvel for attractions in Paris (hopefully only in WDS), Tokyo or Hong Kong.
Only Disney World can't have any Marvel themed rides due to Universal Studios, the contract only applies for that region of the US i think. All other resorts can have them in their parks. Disney can have Spider-Man, Iron Man and other characters in their parks too, but they have to make arrangements for that. Universal for example doesn't own Harry Potter(which is owned by Warner Bros) and they don't own Transformers(owned by Paramount.) So with the right arrangements Disney can pretty much use all of the Marvel characters in their parks except for in Florida.

Malin

QuoteOnly Disney World can't have any Marvel themed rides due to Universal Studios, the contract only applies for that region of the US i think. All other resorts can have them in their parks.

Well Tokyo Disney Resort can't use Spiderman because of Universal Studios Japan. And further more if it wanted to use Marvel characters it would have to set up a new and seperate licensing agreement with Marvel. Just like the Resort had to do with Pixar and George Lucas.  Remember TDR is now owned or controled by the Mouse.