new port bay club's lighthouse needs refurb

Started by jwagner, July 24, 2010, 02:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwagner

when i saw the lighthouse at my last visit i was really shocked.
don't know how you think about this, but i think that it need a refurb even more than the pirate ship.
the only thing i asked myself is : "WHY???".... it can't be such expensive

i hope you can see it....in reality it looks much worse than in the picture :(

claire2281

Depends what needs doing to it and how it is fixed I suppose. If the park has limited budget for repairs (and with the economic climate like it is, it wouldn't surprise me) then I can see what they'd concentrate on Captain Hook's ship before this.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

pussinboots

It's true, I was a little sad to see it in that state as well... Note the saggy, melting "wood" in the clapboard.

Didn't I read that they were refurbishing the outside of the Newport Bay Club, though? (Which needs work just as desperately, the only difference is you don't tend to see it up close like you do the lighthouse.)

Pete's Dragon

How much time/money would a few cans of Dulux White Emulsion, some paintbrushes and a sponge cost ?
Laziness  :roll:

pussinboots

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"How much time/money would a few cans of Dulux White Emulsion, some paintbrushes and a sponge cost ?

Ah, the internal dialogue of a dodgy builder, haha.

I'm no expert, but I'd venture to say they're looking at some serious replacement work. For a large part of the hotel... Unless they can sort of nail and glue all that vinyl siding back into submission.

RiverRogue

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"How much time/money would a few cans of Dulux White Emulsion, some paintbrushes and a sponge cost ?

Well, apart from the fact that the lighthouse needs more than that, it's easy enough to look at this isolated case and say "what on earth does it take?"

But it's not an isolated case. Did you ever walk across the resort, say, from one end to the other, and realize the sheer amount of items, surfaces, materials, machinery etc., all needing frequent care? Not all of which are visible to guests, either.

I've seen long, long lists of items needing repair or maintenance work, some urgently, but DLP's maintenance crews can't take care of everything at once, as Claire already wrote above.

So, don't worry... DLP does notice those things and takes care of them, too. It just takes time, all due to the resort's size and complexity, and to the fact that we don't have TDR's financial situation...

claire2281

It clearly needs more than a quick paint and clean down. You've also got to figure labour costs into whatever you do.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

Pete's Dragon

Yeah I understand. But it's not a large, complex machine with lots of mechanical parts that are used constantly. Its a large stagnant wooden structure. Send 2 guys over with some paint and a few new planks of wood, shouldn't take more than a day or two. Job done  :thumbs:  8)

RiverRogue

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Yeah I understand. But it's not a large, complex machine with lots of mechanical parts that are used constantly. Its a large stagnant wooden structure. Send 2 guys over with some paint and a few new planks of wood, shouldn't take more than a day or two. Job done  :thumbs:  8)

Of course, you'll have to put up scaffolding. And I suspect that they'll have to replace all the planks rather than just a few as otherwise you'll have to be back in a few days and start over.

In any case, I don't think you got my point. Very roughly, what I've tried to explain was that those two guys you want to send over there are already busy rebuilding the Molly Brown from the ground up... And they may have a lot of other things to do before they get to the item "Lighthouse" on their list.

I'm oversimplifying obviously, you can't really discuss a company of 15.000 employees in those terms, but the point remains. There's a LOT to do in the resort, the lighthouse will be taken care of when its refurbishment is scheduled.

Mrs Potatohead

Ive just got back yesterday from DLRP and we stayed at NPB and it was something i noticed straightaway due to the fact you now have to walk past it because of the closure of the other path of the lake from the hotel, its pretty bad and they should have done it before they closed the other path knowing that it would become the major walking route to the Disney Village and Parks.I wanted to take a nice picture of it aswell! there is also a section of massive scaffolding right in the middle of the path outside sequoia lodge, not sure what they are doing there but kind of spoils it a little. really hope they eventually get round to doing all these referbs!!!

The Helmsman

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Yeah I understand. But it's not a large, complex machine with lots of mechanical parts that are used constantly. Its a large stagnant wooden structure. Send 2 guys over with some paint and a few new planks of wood, shouldn't take more than a day or two. Job done  :thumbs:  8)

In which world is this possible  :-s ?
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

EmilieK

In a small companys world. That is probably how person 1 would do it, person 2 on the other hand who actualy is a building engineer and manages people for a living would schedule it in somewhere acording to priority and send it out to the respective managers. On one side person 1 would probably get it done faster with his/her way but other things would suffer in the long run.

See the big picture here?

Martyn

Yeah the whole Hotel needs a refurb.

It looks nice from a distance, but when you get up close, its all grotty and rotten.