Holiday Showdown - Disneyland Paris vs Paris

Started by CafeFantasia, February 20, 2008, 06:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soap

Quote from: "Alan"Marcel and Tessa appear quite rude. But a lot of people are like that. They think they're above Disneyland, that Disneyland is all fake and plasticky, and not cultural enough.

What they don't seem to understand is that Disneyland isn't supposed to be real; it's a fantasy. Everyone knows that the castle isn't an actual castle, and that the characters are just people in costumes. If they thought of it more as going to the cinema, or going to the theatre, they might find it easier to accept and stop analysing. When you go to the cinema, for a few hours you pretend that different Worlds exist and that the people on screen aren't acting. It's the same thing with Disneyland.

Disneyland is supposed to be an entertaining experience, not one that makes you think too hard, or question things in life. A day at Disneyland is a day of being entertained. It's like being at the cinema for a whole day. The only difference is, you're a participant rather than just an observer. Rather than watching a movie experience, you have your own movie experience; something that you'll remember forever.
:thumbs:
Can't agree more!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

skalos

Alan you are spot on!

15MagicalYears

This episode was replayed on itv2 over the weekend :)

CafeFantasia

Thanks guys :-)

And yes, it was shown on ITV2 again this past weekend. Well spotted. I uploaded the file again so that everyone got a chance to see it, not just those from the UK.

fubarsbabe

Hi , we are the family that went with Tessa and Marcel to disney, Tess and Marcel are wonderful people who have different views from us, we had great fun off camera and stayed in touch for several years after the show.  Disney is not their ideal holiday but nor is cemetaries and numerous galleries in paris ours but that was the idea of the show, their son got to have an experience that he wouldn't have had otherwise and the same applied to us.  Please remember that what you see is edited from 10 days of 14 hour days of filming edited to make TV of one hour and isn't a true reflection of the holiday.  Glad you enjoyed it , not sure what Tess and Marcel think of disney now, we've been back to Paris since and had a great time but Disney still holds the magic for us.

CafeFantasia

Tracey, right? Welcome to the forum. It's cool to have one of the people from the TV show actually here with us to discuss it.

Personally, I love both Paris and Disneyland Paris. They're two totally different holidays, but they're both great. I recently went to Paris and basically used this Holiday Showdown episode as the blueprint for my itinerary. So thanks :-)

tubbsy

Great to hear this Tracey :) Welcome to the forum. When I read this it reminded me of my mate who was in this season of Master Chef on BBC1. She was really worried because she thought the programme would show her in tears the whole time cos her lads were little and she'd never left them before. She said before it aired "All you're gonna see is me covered in snot! And when she had to work in the restuarant she had to give two soundbites. One saying
"I never want to work under this pressure again" and the other
"The best experience ever!"
When it aired they showed her teary at one tiny point, the rest of the time she was smiles and they aired the second sound bite! :lol: Her rebuttle? "The wonders of the editing!"
So we only get to see half the story.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

never2old

Whoa, all these years going to Disneyland and I never knew it was Tinkerbell's Castle...

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "never2old"Whoa, all these years going to Disneyland and I never knew it was Tinkerbell's Castle...

You're joking, right? It's Sleeping Beauty's Castle (in English) and Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant (in French).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Château_de_la_Belle_au_Bois_Dormant

luke85

Quote from: "Alan"
Quote from: "never2old"Whoa, all these years going to Disneyland and I never knew it was Tinkerbell's Castle...

You're joking, right? It's Sleeping Beauty's Castle (in English) and Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant (in French).

The voiceover on the program called it "Tinkerbell's Castle". Would it really have been that hard for the ITV production team to do some research?!

disney-dan

Quote from: "Alan"

I think your sarcasm detectors might be malfunctioning :lol:
Have a Magical day!!

DD