Baloo's Trip Report for DLP May June 2010

Started by davewasbaloo, June 06, 2010, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

I wouldn't say Baloo is too negative. You can talk to many people who have been to DLRP during the early years and now they are disappointed. For example good friends of us are also big Disney fans and went to DLRP since 1992, now they save their money for Anaheim.

My girlfriend and I started to go to DLRP in 2006 so we don't know what it was before and we think that since 2006 and February 2010 the quality of the park and attractions improved. In the same time the quality of the food declined. Compared to WDW DLRP's food is really bad. Okay we are vegeterians but we should be treated like any other guests, but not in Paris. At WDW we were treated like kings. There they prepared everything for us. No one can tell me they save a lot of money by not offering a broader variety on food. Next time we will not at eat in any Disney table service restaurant anymore, instead we will eat in the Groupe Flo restaurants in DV, because they tried hard to cater us. So Disney will not make a lot of money with us next time, because we will also stay in a third party hotel and the merchandise is also bad. The only money ED SCA will get from us next time is the ticket price.

Many people think this way, because the Disney hotels are too expensive for the quality they offer. Even the cheap Pop Century Resort at WDW offers a better quality then Sequoia Lodge which is a moderate resort and not a value. By the way Pop Century was the best Disney hotel we have ever stayed.

I have also the opinion that TSPL will not bring in a lot more people and so it would have been better to save the money for stage shows or a bigger attraction. The best would have been to use the money for advertising DLRP around Europe. That would bring in more people.

Nevertheless we are still big DLRP fans and we will definately return and we will try to see the positive things. While the quality of the parks increased, the quality of the service and food declined. I want to have a DLRP with the food, service and CMs from WDW and with the attractions from Paris.

ed-uk

why do you compare the cheap Pop Century Resort to the Sequoia lodge, and not the cheaper Santa Fe. And according to Dave WDW is rotting away with breaking furniture. So why would anyone go there? I don't agree that the money spent on TSPL would have been better spent on advertising. Disney make money out of Disney Village if you eat there.
Ed & David

ed-uk

Steve jobs must believe in WDC or else he wouldn't have sold Pixar to them. And he would'nt be sitting on the board as their biggest Shareholder.
Ed & David

dagobert

I compare Pop Century with Sequoia Lodge because SL should offer a better quality than Pop Century since it is a more expensive hotel, but unfortunately it doesn't. Pop Century is a value resort while SL is a moderate resort and so I thought that we can expect a higher standard. Unfortunately the cheap Pop Century has a higher quality than SL.

I wouldn't say that WDW is rotting away. MK was not very well maintained and was not as clean as DLP during our stay in 2008, but the other parks were okay.

I think disney has lost its way a little bit. You just have to look at WDW. Universal built a one of a kind Harry Potter attraction and what is Disney doing? They are going to rebuild Fantasyland with meet and greet houses themed to the princesses. WOW, great. In my opinion it should have been Disney to create such an innovative new ride. At the moment I think Disney is focusing too much on children, especially little girls.

I do understand that WDS needs more rides, especially for children, but I also think that TSPL is not the right way. I can't imagine that RC Racer and the Parachute Tower are suitable for kids, because of the height restrictments.
TSPL doesn't look bad in my opinion, it just features the wrong rides.

MagicStar

Quote from: "ed-uk"And if it's about shirts from DLP, i bought one in the TOT shop two years ago and it's not fallen apart yet.

Can´t agree here. Merchandise at DLP is often very poor quality.

I bought a Jack Skellington Shirt that fell apart after a few months
I bought Sunglasses that broke after 2 days.
I bought a shoulder bag where the buttons rub off after e few weeks

I don´t buy things at DLP anymore. Its not worth the much money you pay!
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

dagobert

ed-uk, don't get me wrong. DLRP is a great place and ED SCA did a great job in my opinion in recent years. The quality of the parks improved a lot. For example in February we have seen effects in PM we haven't seen before.

I just think that the quality of the hotels really isn't good. For that money you can stay in better hotels and we are going to do this next time.

Maybe most of the people think that the food is great, we think that it is not. In 2008 DLRP offered a broader selection of food, but unforunately not anymore.

The merchandise isn't great in Paris, but it isn't at WDW either. In each shop they sell the same cheap merchandise and the quality of many products is poor and really not worth the money. I think DLRP realized the problem and will improve it in the future. We spent a lot of money in 2008 on merchandise but not this year.

davewasbaloo

Agreed. My wife bought a Jack Skellington top last HAlloween, it lasted 2 washes before is faded and shrunk (she used to be a professional laundrey manager). We bought my sun a buzz laser, it lasted 2 days after we got home (and he was not being particularly rough with it. There are lots of other examples.

But I do have to say, the merchandise does seem to be a lot better in quality and choice this year!
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Dagobert, I think you will be very happy with the food and merchandise when you eventually go to California.

mr gibbs

Just read your trip report Dave, (not checked the forum in ages!) good as always – thanks.
Not been in DLP since October 09, and looking forward to our next visit in three weeks.
I must agree with your opinions regarding the parks, even in my 12 visits in the last seven years, (a bit of catching up on you to do!:lol:)  I have noticed a decline in some areas of the magic. Captain Hook's ship for example was in a terrible state in October with rotting timbers & dull, flaky paint I kinda wished they had covered it up, rather than have it on display to the public in such a poor condition.
I Know, I know – global financial crisis etc., but I think ED SCA are going about this in the wrong way – happy guests are more likely to part with more cash & spread the word. Speculate to accumulate, - it worked for the 15th celebrations.
As for 'Dumbing down' - sadly a problem in most of our society nowadays, not just in the parks.
Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirate\'s life for me...!

davewasbaloo

Good to hear from you Mr Gibbs, long time no see. And yep, I know the world is dumbing down, it is such a shame. Who would have thought Disney would huh?

tubbsy

I'm feeling really sad :( I havent been able to go for three years and we were really looking forward to the trip, but I was beginning to feel that maybe I've wasted my money :(
But then I thought - We go to Legoland regularly and, where I know they're not Disney,(Nowhere near) I do feel I am beginning to look at it in the same way (thats faded, thats broken, Oh no they've removed the baby dragon licking the ducks bottom from the Dragon Coaster!!..... :lol:-lego baby dragon thats supposed to look like its burning the ducks bottom-but it didnt!! :lol:)
I look past this and just enjoy the time with my family as it is so precious and I hope I can do the same in DLP.
BTW I have two tops from 2006 and 2007-they're fine. Steph has a Mickey fleece (Still in good order) and Rob has a Mickey jacket (Cant wear anymore-hes outgrown it :( )

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

dagobert

I've found a good quote of Walt Disney concerning the opening of attractions. Maybe we should present it to the DLP management and hopefully they will stop the staggering opening hours of the attractions!

Initial planning for Date Nite presented challenges, such as which attractions, shops and restaurants would remain open during that time, but it was Walt Disney himself who insisted that as long as the park is open, any guests must experience the full Disneyland show, and thus all should remain open.

Taken from the D23 website:
http://d23.disney.go.com/wdarchives.html

The article is about the "Date Nite Show". It was for the first time that the park was open until 1am on Friday and Saturday nights.

As davewasbaloo said: Put the Walt back in Disney

tubbsy

:thumbs: Love that! :D

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "tubbsy"I'm feeling really sad :( I havent been able to go for three years and we were really looking forward to the trip, but I was beginning to feel that maybe I've wasted my money :(

I doubt you will feel that way. I am sure you will have a great time. I have rarely felt I have wasted my money at DLP (except the broken items and some areas where the quality has diminished, but I suspect after 55 trips I am going to notice more - like you (and I) do at Legoland).

I am sure you will have a great time and enjoy the attractions and shows that are new to you. It is just for me, I am very concerned with the direction of travel. But not all hope is lost. The teepee refurb, the castle bridge refurb and the new merchandise (as well as the hub show) shows there is still hope.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"I've found a good quote of Walt Disney concerning the opening of attractions. Maybe we should present it to the DLP management and hopefully they will stop the staggering opening hours of the attractions!

Initial planning for Date Nite presented challenges, such as which attractions, shops and restaurants would remain open during that time, but it was Walt Disney himself who insisted that as long as the park is open, any guests must experience the full Disneyland show, and thus all should remain open.

Taken from the D23 website:
http://d23.disney.go.com/wdarchives.html

The article is about the "Date Nite Show". It was for the first time that the park was open until 1am on Friday and Saturday nights.

As davewasbaloo said: Put the Walt back in Disney

Yep, and it was the man himself (no stranger to financial hardship and failures) that set the standard I use for comparison. Not comparing to other theme parks and resorts, but the Disney standard itself.