Baloo's Trip Report for DLP May June 2010

Started by davewasbaloo, June 06, 2010, 03:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Yes, I was given a walkthrough before they struck ground by imagineering (we had the plans as we walked the beet fields). Also was a part of the focus group blue skying Adventure Isle back in the early 80's in California.

Then went through a walk through with hard hats 6 months before opening. And I was there opening day!

Did you work for Disney or did you work for one of the construction companies.

davewasbaloo

WE had family connections (remember I am from California, not too far from DL and WDI - family and friends). Also, I had French political conncetions due to my pen friend in the region.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

I used to dedicate my life to Disney, reading everything from blueprints to acedemic essays, I have had the pleasure of speaking with many of the great imagineers, and even Roy Disney Jr and Lillian Disney before they died.

Although Disney still is capable of many good things, they certainly are not what they once were, and even the current exec members I know agree with me.

But they love the people who turn the blind eye and are not keen on old school fans. With Dave Smith and his no 2 retiring this week, it will also be interesting to see what happens to the archives.

ed-uk

And when you were given a walk through by imagineering before they struck ground, did you vioce any concerns for the future, like the incredible amount of money that Disney would lose at DLP in the future, and how EuroDisney would have to try and balance their books? It was good of them to take you round in a hard hat though. You say you used to dedicate your life to Disney, I'm surprised you didn't get a job with them.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Well, back then we did not have a crystal ball.  The business case seemed to stack up. More and more Europeans were visiting the US parks, the economy was good, and the channel tunnel was due to soon open to make it easier for UK visitors. The future looked bright.

No one saw the recession of the late 80's early 90's coming before they struck ground, and that is what really crippled EDL. Yes, there were some important lessons learnt from DLP. And you could speculate that if perhaps they had opened with fewer hotels or skipped on some of the detailing in the parks, then it would have been a better financial success. But it is the debts and the huge interest rates that grew in the early 90's that really hurt the resort.

ed-uk

Indeed you do not have a crystal ball, and nor do any of us. For once I'm inclined to agree with your last post. it's because of the debts and huge interest payments and the current recession, that EuroDisney sometimes have to make some cuts, like a favourite show. It's not because they've lost their soul in my view. Or that some of us turn a blind eye. It's a pity you didn't get a job with Disney. Maybe you could have put some of your theories into practise? You wouldn't be able to just go on about the past , and how DLP used to be so much better. You would have to pay of the debts and manage the recession.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Agreed, there are difficult financial decisons that need to be made. Although I was not thrilled, the hub show rather than 2 stage shows makes better financial sense and to the average guest, that makes sense because the show is of a good quality and will please many.

The staggered opening hours of attractions I think makes less sense however, the savings are negligable and it does have a negative mental impact on guests. This is a real shame, and I think they could find the savings elsewhere.

As for TSPL, I think this is a very poor decision for expenditure. It will have a negligable impact bringing people into the parks and it has a net negative on the asthetics and ethos of the park. They would be better off with a little Rat show in WDSP to build the interest for the upcoming attraction and spending the money on entertainment, refurbs and planning for a better capital investment after Ratatoulle.

Also, the fact the food carts do not sell food after 2pm (but are still open) is a loss of potential revenue.

davewasbaloo

And I wanted to work for Disney my whole life. But when I came of age, I was worried the magic would disappear if I was in the political hive that is Disney. I decided to become a professional in another field with the view that I could visit Disney more often.

Little did I anticipate that the Disney company of this millenia is very different than the one that was around for the previous 70+ years.

ed-uk

But they have been offering 40% off for holidays at DLP, which is quite a saving. And I don't except TSPL is a poor decision for expenditure. Disney wanted to offer some new rides this year rather than wait. I can see the merit of that. I don't think a little rat show would bring more people in either. And DLP do do refurbs. I'm not saying you should get a job with Disney. The WDC is much bigger now than it was 70 years ago. More theme parks, more films, theatre a cruise line. And you say it's not as good as it used to be. And that's where we don't agree.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Bigger is not always better. I would rather eat a fine fillet steak than pig out on mince. It does not mean I hate mince, but I have a very clear preference.

HKDL is not done well enough. WDW is rotting away. Everything is relying more on toons instead of creating different senses of place. Disney market everything until people are sick of it. My wife wore my EuroDisney shirt from opening year, and yet we have to throw our modern Disney clothes out every few years as they fade.

Yes, Disney can still do some amazing things - World of Colour is a great example of that. But there are more misses than hits these days.

ed-uk

I'm sorry but you're too negative for me. WDW is rotting away for example. And your comments about shirts you cound direct at many companies these days. Most people wouldn't expect to get 20 years out of a shirt these days.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

And I think you give Disney too much of a pass, and that kind of behaviour means they will continue to do it.

I am not saying Disney is the only one, but they used to aim to be the best. They no longer seem to. Marriott do though, so does Apple, and even the GAP.

And when you spend a fortune to go to WDW, and every attraction has broken AA's and the furnature litterly breaks when an 11 stone person sits on a chair in Animal Kingdom Lodge, and the buses break down (not once, not twice but three times in one trip), that to me as a consumer, let alone a Disney fan, is not accpetable.

ed-uk

i never find anything i want in Gap these days. And if it's about shirts from DLP, i bought one in the TOT shop two years ago and it's not fallen apart yet. I don't give Disney a pass, and please don't imply that my behaviour causes furniture to break when an 11 stone person sits on a chair in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. i know someone who's been to DLP many times weighs more than 11 stone and has never had a chair break under him yet.
Ed & David

ed-uk

And just to add Apple is run by Steve Jobs, who also happens to be on the board of the WDC and is their biggest share holder.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Yes it is, but the two companies are run very differently (sadly)