Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor after Captain EO?

Started by Kristof, May 04, 2010, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

It's being rumoured Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor might open after Captain EO finished its limited run.  What do you think?  Discuss!  :)

Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor description from Wikipedia:

Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor is an attraction within the Magic Kingdom theme park at Walt Disney World Resort. It opened on April 2, 2007 within the park's Tomorrowland  section, where it replaced the Circle-Vision attraction The Timekeeper.

The main theater is equipped with 400 seats and utilizes digital puppetry technology similar to Epcot's voice-directed Turtle Talk with Crush. Live actors perform voices behind a large digital screens, while computer-rendered monsters appear with the actors' voices.

This attraction is set after the events of the Disney/Pixar animated film Monsters, Inc. Monstropolis is running on safe, clean "laugh power," but even now it still needs more laughs to provide for the needs of the monster world. To that end, Mike Wazowski suggests opening up Monstropolis' first comedy club.

Humans will temporarily enter the monster world via a door the monsters have placed in Tomorrowland. During their visit, guests will be entertained by Monsters, Inc.'s top comedians, where their laughs will be collected and converted to electricity.

In 2008, the attraction was honored with a nomination for Outstanding Visual Effects in a Special Venue Project by the Visual Effects Society. The producers and artists singled out for the nomination included Roger Gould, Liz Gazzano, Joe Garlington, and Daniele Colajacomo.

luke85

I would rather the Imagineers put something else in Captain EO's place, this just doesn't fit at all. I'm worried that the original theme of Discoveryland will be lost forever if we keep getting cloned attractions like this one. There's no relevance to it being in Discoveryland, they may as well put it in Adventureland.

dagobert

We have experienced Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor at WDW. It is not a bad attraction and a lot better than Stitch Live, at least it was a lot funnier than Stitch.

Nevertheless I hope that it will not make its way into Discoveryland. It really doesn't fit. WDI should create an attraction that fits the Discoveryland theme. I also think that Buzz Lightyear shouldn't be in Discoveryland.

smurfy74

Personally i would like some Wall-E based attraction - but for those claiming it wont fit in with the 'theme' please inform me how the original EO and then HISTA were Verne themed ???? That area of Discoverland is always dead and needs something that the masses can easily relate to. Star Tours 2 and  Monsters Inc would bring that often neglected part of discoveryland back to life

mommy2ash

i wouldnt really mind it. i guess it doesnt fit well but then not everything does in discoveryland. i think that part of the park is pretty dead and it needs a good attraction to draw people in.
Santa Fe Oct 08
Santa Fe Feb 09
Santa Fe/Sequioa Lodge Nov 09

Malin

I hate the idea of taking the Laughing Floor concept which is a really lame attraction by the way and placing it in the park's Discoveryland. Why is it anyway that WDI is creating Monsters Inc attractions for the Tomorrowland/Discoveryland sections of all Disney parks when the two themes do not match anyway.

Disney currently have four theatre venue's that need a new attraction after Captain EO ends its final run, why not come up with a solution that would work in all four parks and share out the cost. Monsters Inc Laugh Floor can already be found in WDW and TDL will not want another Monsters Inc attraction, after last year opening of its new E Ticket Monsters Inc ride, which is a blast.  We need something unique that will work in Disneyland, Epcot, Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris, and something where cost can be shared out. Cloning crap Magic Kingdom attractions is not the answer here.

CafeFantasia

A Marvel attraction, such as something based on Iron Man, would actually fit in Discoveryland better than anything Monsters, Inc.

I can't see Disney making another 3D film attraction for the parks though, now that 3D is so common in local cinemas.

never2old

I wouldn't put this in Discoveryland, and many have already said, it does not fit with the theme of the land. The Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast is already rather out of place (even though I love it and I think it's a great addition to the park). I just don't see how Monsters fits with anyone's vision of the future, which let's not forget it's what Discoveryland is all about.

I like smurfy74's idea of a Wall-E based attraction!

CafeFantasia

I think as long as the attraction is set in space, or involves going into space, then it fits into Discoveryland. At no point in the movie Monsters Inc does anyone go into space.

So yeah, WALL-E would fit in Discoveryland, in his own 4D movie. And WALL-E would be a perfect fit for the international audiences at Disneyland Paris, because he doesn't say a lot.

Magic M

Surely something in the vein of "Soarin'" would make sense.  Its a massive chunk of Discoveryland that could easily be tranformed into the Imax-based ride.  Perhaps rather than using the "hang-glider" style of previous versions, Discoveryland could use the Airship parked in Videopolis.

15MagicalYears

We experienced this back in 2008 and I wouldn't give it another shot, it isn't worth the time.
I didn't find it very funny or amusing. Personally I think this is a bad idea for Paris.

Scissorsboi

I think this attraction is flawed from the start, it relies quite heavily on singling out guests in the auditorium and expecting people to interact - we already saw from MMP that the European guests don't really like to get involved in the attractions/shows, and would rather watch - even I sat through the WDW version of this absolutely dreading that my face would show up on the screen next to be laughed at (and what I felt was verging on insulting).

A Soarin' attraction would be a much nicer fit, and could be linked in with Visionaries more thoroughly, DaVinci's helicopter design etc, flying through time as opposed to over a country.

Oh.. also Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor still shortens to MILF.. which also holds a totally different (and very un-Disney) meaning and I'm amazed that no one at WDW has thought to change the name to avoid this yet.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Timbo

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"Oh.. also Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor still shortens to MILF.. which also holds a totally different (and very un-Disney) meaning and I'm amazed that no one at WDW has thought to change the name to avoid this yet.
But if they listed the attraction as MILF they could guarantee full capacity audiences , at least of teenage boys......

I do hope they don't put this in after EO , It needs a new attraction , something based around Jules Verne would be amazing but will never happen ! But WALL-E  would be an excellent choice , I always thought there could be some good rides from that film ! :)

skalos

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"Oh.. also Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor still shortens to MILF.. which also holds a totally different (and very un-Disney) meaning and I'm amazed that no one at WDW has thought to change the name to avoid this yet.

LOL!!!  :lol:

Also if you know Greek, HISTA (if you read it in Greek) has a totally different meaning as well... (totally un-Disney)

-breeno-

Quote from: "Alan"I think as long as the attraction is set in space, or involves going into space, then it fits into Discoveryland. At no point in the movie Monsters Inc does anyone go into space.
Pretty much agree with this.  Putting Monsters Inc into Discoveryland is a horrible idea.  Not only does it ruined the already ripped out Jules Verne theme but it's ruining the space/future theme!  If this actually happens then to me it's evidence that they don't seem to care anymore about the attention to detail and Imagineer's motives when they first put pen to paper on this resort.

Best case scenario for me with the area after Captain Eo is Star Tours II, but keep the original next door (I don't care if it's dated I don't want it to go if it does, love it too much).  If that can't happen then leave the place empty, i'd rather be down an attraction than see this in Discoveryland.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!