Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor after Captain EO?

Started by Kristof, May 04, 2010, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Quote from: "Alan"I think as long as the attraction is set in space, or involves going into space, then it fits into Discoveryland. At no point in the movie Monsters Inc does anyone go into space.

To put things straight loose from the discussion about Monsters Inc. Laughing Floor, Discoveryland isn't about space, it's about Discovery and the future seen by past and present "visionaires" like Jules Verne, Leonardo Da Vinci (I was actually typing Dicaprio LOL) and George Lucas.  That's the original 1992 story line.  :)

Tuvok

This Monsters Inc. 'ride/show' should be in the Studios, not Disneyland Park. I realy like Stitch Live, so this type of attraction is most welcome, but not in Discoveryland. Can't they just demolish Armageddon and put Monsters Inc. here? It fits in Production Courtyard.

I agree with most of you guys, that we need something esle on HISTA's/Captain EO's place. Wall-E or Soarin' would be great, but if Soarin' does find its way to Paris, it will be in the Studios. I already posted this somewhere else, but what do you guys think of this idea:

Star Wars mini-land:

1) Star Tours will be upgraded to Star Tours II with a complete new facade with stretches all the way till the entrance to Buzz's Pizza Planet.
2) L'Astroport Services Interstellaires will be replaced with a larger version of Star Traders (guest coming out the attraction, will walk through this shop).
3) The current Star Traders will be demolished and replaced by a permanent open air stage for Star Wars (or Discoveryland) related entertainment. Jedi Academy, Darth Vader meet&greets, shows, Star Wars Weekends, stuff like that.
4) Imagination Institute will be getting a new 4D movie based on the Star Wars universe.
5) Buzz's Pizza Planet will be completely redesigned as a proper Star Wars restaurant.
6) The Discoveryland Station (Disneyland Rairoad) will be integrated in this new facade. The 'landmark' will be a huge Death Star, where the train will ride through. On both sides there will be lots of Star Wars props to get you fully into this new world.

There you have it. One big cool facade and 'new mini-land' in the back of Discoveryland which needs more crowds.
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

Martyn

QuoteI wouldn't put this in Discoveryland, and many have already said, it does not fit with the theme of the land.

Doesn't seem like they care too much about things like that anymore.

QuoteThis Monsters Inc. 'ride/show' should be in the Studios, not Disneyland Park.

Yes, totally agree with that.

I dont think even the most popular attraction in the world could make the area behind Space Mountain popular. Its purpose is just the exit path from SM. They need more up by Pizza Planet, which in itself needs to be gutted/re-themed. Just some small interactive things, even a character meeting place would do it wonders!

Back to Monsters, it would be a nice addition, but I would much rather see unique attractions at DLP. We definitely need some sort of Wall-E dark ride, he's such a popular character!

never2old

Personally I would love to have another ride based on Jules Verne.  Discoveryland is greatly inspired by Verne's vision of the future (and let's face it, it's that retro futurism that makes our Discoveryland unique), so it would be great to have rides more inspired by his work.

So what I would really like to see is that Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction that was planned at the early stages... For those not familiar with it, the idea was to have, within the Discovery Mountain, a free-fall ride (and this was before ToT) that took people into the center of the earth, inside a volcano (if I remember my DLP History correctly).

But I do realise that there's probably not enough space to build something like this (and I'm guessing no budget) and since we have the cinema, why not a 4D movie based on one of Jules Verne's books? Around the World in 80 days, Journey to the Center of the Earth...

Or if not, why not bring back H G Well's idea of time travelling? It worked great for the Visionarium, but it could also work as a 4D movie - instead of a giant dog, we could have a dinosaur sneezing on the audience!

luke85

Quote from: "never2old"But I do realise that there's probably not enough space to build something like this (and I'm guessing no budget) and since we have the cinema, why not a 4D movie based on one of Jules Verne's books? Around the World in 80 days, Journey to the Center of the Earth...

I think this is a fantastic idea. For the Imagineers to go back to what inspired Discoveryland would be amazing. They could even theme Soarin' to Around the World in 80 Days! :D

Tuvok

Quote from: "never2old"So what I would really like to see is that Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction that was planned at the early stages... For those not familiar with it, the idea was to have, within the Discovery Mountain, a free-fall ride (and this was before ToT) that took people into the center of the earth, inside a volcano (if I remember my DLP History correctly).

But I do realise that there's probably not enough space to build something like this (and I'm guessing no budget) and since we have the cinema, why not a 4D movie based on one of Jules Verne's books? Around the World in 80 days, Journey to the Center of the Earth...

That location is indeed too small for 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' like the one built in Tokyo DisneySEA, but what about the Autopia location? That's big enough to house such an E-Ticket ride. It's another discussion, but I would realy like to see 'Journey...' there instead of Autopia.

They could do a complete unique 4D show, but as pointed out on other topics, there are several 'HISTA' theatres in the Disney Resorts, and thus cost saving if they were to produce one new movie for all the resorts.
DLRP Fan Blog > The Magic of Disneyland Resort Paris (Dutch DLRP Fan Blog)

Martyn

^ Too many cost saving measures means less 'magic' - well it does to me anyway :(

I think there needs to be more rides based on Disney films (not kids rides). At the moment, we only have Crush & Buzz (Soon TSPL though),

But yet the different rides are what make Disney so special. I dunno, its akward. I think they need a good balance of that though. But I suppose most ride based on films would be better suited in the Studio's?

:?

electricdreams

Why didnt they create a ride/attraction based on Monsters Inc ?
2002/07 - Disneyland Resort Paris
2003/06 - Walt Disney World Resort Florida
2008/06 - Disneyland Resort Paris
2009/06 - Disneyland Resort Paris
2009/09 - Disneyland Resort Paris
2012/12 - Disneyland Resort Paris

Scissorsboi

Imagineering has made 3 attempts at a Monster Inc attraction, and I believe only one has really paid off, there's Monsters Inc Laughing Floor which feels quite tacky and cheap, Monsters Inc. Mike and Sulley to the Rescue! which is most similar to the Fantasyland style dark rides, but has never been fantastically popular (I'm not sure, but it may even be closed now), and finally Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek which is a mix of dark ride and the Buzz concept, except with torches to scare away monsters which are hiding throughout the attraction.

The latter is the most popular, and the other 2 are just average. I guess Monsters Inc. just doesn't translate over to rides well!

There's been talk of a coaster designed around the door scene from the movie, but I think that's been shelved now.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

electricdreams

Yes, i would have thought the coaster concept designed round the door scene would have been cool...but o well a!

JelleP

I don't know if it has been said before, but I don't think that such attraction woul fit into the Discoveryland-concept. I mean, Discoveryland is the future as seen by great Visionaires, like Jules Verne and Leonardo Da Vinci. I personally hate the Buzz Lightyear attraction because it doesn't fit here!

PS; would love to see the visionarium back.. :roll:
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

electricdreams

but Buzz brings in the $$

JelleP

Quote from: "electricdreams"but Buzz brings in the $$
In the $$  :?:
What do you mean by that (I'll maybe sound very silly...)
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

Columbiad

I do not want Monsters Inc in the Disneyland Park. That'd be 3 PIXAR attractions (including the resteraunt) taking up all the space that could be used for some amazing properly themed Discoveryland Attractions.
If Monsters Inc Scream Floor is really planned, why not shove it in with the other PIXAR attrations at Toon Studio? I'd like to see a new original attarction take EO's place.
 I'm working on a wee project im gonna post in the Home Imagineering Section that replaces EO with a 3-D Show based on a HG Wells story. :)

JelleP

Quote from: "JelleP"
Quote from: "electricdreams"but Buzz brings in the $$
In the $$  :?:
What do you mean by that (I'll maybe sound very silly...)
Ah, brings in the money... :')
I'm sure when they replace Buzz with something amazing (Discoveryland-ish) it would bring $$ too :roll: