Is Autopia a waste of space?

Started by CentralPlazaPerson, April 07, 2010, 04:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aveen2008

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"I would like autopia if they
1. actually attempt to make a city of tomorrow instead of making a "city" out of shiny poles with round things at the top. To be honest it looks nothing like a city.
2. Made the cars faster for speedier boarding and less queue times.
3. Opened it during extra magical hours for people staying at the hotel to ride it before the day trippers etc storm in.

I agree with you on these points definately and also that Test Track would be a great replacement hehe but there's no way that's going to happen lol. As Magic M said, I have also been to DLRP 6 times now and only bothered to queue for it once on my first trip and not since. To me the ride isn't worth the queue time.

What's even more of a waste of space at the moment is the Hyperion! All that space and no show! :( also Honey I shrunk the audience is pretty past it's sell by date I feel. Because I don't like high thrill rides I don't do space mountain so actually I don't really go to Discoveryland at all appart from to do the Buzz ride.
Luv Aveen xoxo

tubbsy

Wow! That takes up a load of land! Didnt realise it took up so much room!
Having never ridden Autopia as its been shut or broken down (Never seen it open!) I say either replace the cars to something more reliable or just let it go!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

symondhelly

I don't know what it is about this ride but i absolutely love it.Autopia is one of my favorite rides in disneyland paris.
It feels like your driving on a real little motorway.The queues can be quite long at times but that doesn't bother me as its such a great ride!!

CafeFantasia

I agree with Dagobert. Autopia should be upgraded/plussed to bring it up to the quality of the Hong Kong Disneyland version. The cars should be electric, have on-board sound effects, and LED lighting should be used around the track.

Although I no longer personally ride Autopia, I think it will always appeal to children. Driving a car is something kids will always dream of doing, so I think Autopia will always remain relevant.

[youtube:2mebirsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lRY-ZIltMs[/youtube:2mebirsw]

Timbo

I think if you are under 10 years old it is great !! But I haven't been on it for years as it holds no interest for me , I always thought the space could be better used for an attraction that all ages could enjoy . Something that would continue with the fantastic Jules Verne theme which is slowly being replaced !

Martyn

Yeah I dont like it, but then I can drive :P

It is a waste of space, though they couldn't exactly make one of them rides short, it is Disney after all.

The stacking at the end of the ride is also a pain.

DSil

I've been to Autopia in 2004 and it is the only attraction in DLRP that I only rode once in all my four trips. I don't think the time waiting is worth it and I don't think it is something special. I think the idea of the attraction is good but I think that we could have a new land (like Toy Story Playland, smaller than the others) there with something like two attractions and one restaurant/shop. It would be much better in my opinion. I must say that the nearly that I am from Autopia is when I'm going to the Toilets or when I'm going to visit Les Mystères du Nautilus...

montaguewarner

Autopia is a beloved Disney attraction!
I would be distraught if it went! Its just a classic, like the castle!
Okay i'm not saying getting rid of Autopia would be like deciding not to bother building a Castle in Disneyland but there is a point there!

If they're still building them around at Disney Resorts (like at HKDL) then there must be some success in them!

I remember my first trip to Disneyland in California when i was younger and the thrill of being able to drive my own car was just amazing!  :lol:
I think its great for kids and its NOT a waste of space!  :D
Past Visits
DLP - JUN 2005 - Val D\'Europe
DL - APR 2006 - Disneyland Hotel
DLP - AUG 2009 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUL 2010 - Val D\'Europe
DLP - JUN 2011 - Val D\'Europe

Aladar

I'm not a fan of this attraction myself, but Autopia is Disney's most popular attraction since Disneyland California first opened to the public. They will definitely not replace it.

jwagner

IMO discoveryland isnt discoveryland without an autopia...
so i hope they wont remove it completely out of he park. The best thing they could do is rebuilding it as a test track ride in a jules verne style( if possible )...this would be a real E-ticket and would be much more exciting.
Also it would harmonize more with the jules verne style. If there just weren't the money :(

missbounce

I actually really like the Autopia - sure it's aimed at kids, but as a grown-up, I love acting up and riding as well.  Hubby and me and have some fun video footage of us cruising around the track on this, as well as in Florida - I hope it sticks around for a while yet!

Cara
[size=150]Little Miss Bounce[/size]

CentralPlazaPerson

JUST TO SAY AUTOPIA ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE, THIS IS JUST A GENERAL CHAT ON AUTOPIA

danwills

An attraction could always be built partially above it :)

Lorum

It was great. Now, we need to destroy, explode it. It's a waste of space, a space that the park needs to offer a whole new attraction for Discoveryland. Well, maybe Mission: Space? LoL I don't think so, but maybe an E-ticket.
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

fairymom

It's probably good for 7-12 year old kids who love to drive their own car. We queued for ages and ages to do this when we went over earlier this month and to be honest we were disappointed. I thought it'd be fab what with the long queues and all. Totally not worth it. It's definitely one I'd skip next time. I'm only a newbie to Disneyland so can't comment on the "being a classic ride" thing. My kids are 5 and 3 ftr.