DLR | Disney's World of Color

Started by Anthony, December 21, 2009, 12:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scissorsboi

I'm glad to hear that people who've seen it can kinda help to ease my worries about the show. I guess from the raised angle it's filmed at it shows more than what a viewing guest would see. I'll wait to catch a full length video of it, and just hope that the promo one above is just down to poor editing. As for tear jerking, that's never good, I cried at Candleabration..

The puppets sound fantastic, I can imagine them walking down Main St in Paris during Fantillusion - a hybrid of the lit costumes and Nemo The Musical characters. As for the merchandise, I'm not a fan of the flashing items, they've always felt a little funfair to me (the only time they've been pulled off right was at Halloween Horror Nights) but the flavoured popcorn is a welcome addition to the non Asian parks, I'd love to see that come to Paris!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

alka1

French talent adds extra magic and splendor to the World of Color show, with cutting-edge lasers and lighting design. See the video here:

//http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/world-of-color-has-french-touch/

QuoteBy now, you've probably read enough about "World of Color" to know that it's an amazing collaboration of water, light, color, animation, music and fire. Walt Disney Imagineers developed all these breathtaking elements for this nighttime spectacular, but they had some help from our friends in France.

The very talented Fabrice Kebour and Claude Lifante spent a lot of time in California as part of the "World of Color" creative team. Fabrice is one of Europe's leading lighting and projections designers, with more than 150 productions to his credit. Claude is a world-renowned laser designer and programmer who has worked on laser productions all over the world. Both men have worked on projects for Disneyland Paris. They've loved working on "World of Color" for the Disneyland Resort. I had the pleasure of interviewing both of these men. Check it out.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "TowMater"I'm speechless, never mind WDW, I want to go to DCA!

Those are smart words. If it is a choice between WDW and DLR, DLR wins almost every time!
since 2001 (many before that)

lil-shawn

So and here is the first Full Video of WORLD OF COLOR in HD!!

[youtube:3v6wd8fh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqijf6DZz4s[/youtube:3v6wd8fh]
[youtube:3v6wd8fh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQfMt6X8TZI[/youtube:3v6wd8fh]
[youtube:3v6wd8fh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m02BfY7Gxwk[/youtube:3v6wd8fh]

and here from the Carnival of Color, the little pre show!!

[youtube:3v6wd8fh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na65fbG5OJU[/youtube:3v6wd8fh]

CafeFantasia

World of Color looks incredible. Disney have made a show that, for the first time, seems to have more wow factor and more magic than any ride they've ever built. There's so much emotion in it, so much power. It literally looks like you're watching REAL magic.

CafeFantasia

Is it me or did they cut the Alice In Wonderland segment from the show, that featured paper sculptures by artist Megan Brain?

Also, what happened to this Incredibles segment that they'd fully simulated and animated?

[youtube:1gzpc2ng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0DIjxwyEcU[/youtube:1gzpc2ng]

pussinboots

^^ Yes, that seems to be one of the last-minute bad decisions made by the suits... Another is that they cut any semblance of a plot and that whatshisname insisted on "modern" music and recent films.

Partly because of those reasons, I think the show as a whole isn't as good as it could be... And there's far too much emphasis on water screen projections. The fountains and lighting however look absolutely spectacular, and I'm now convinced they're more effective than fireworks. So they have a great, great new trick (and a great new show arena) that will last them a few decades, they just might want to rethink what to do with them a little.

I kept thinking they could have achieved more with the effects that are in place... I mean, why wasn't there a long Sorcerer's Apprentice scene with Mickey splashing the waters around to the music? Just a simple but dramatic segment? And again, any narrative or storyline would have helped. Instead, it all seemed to fly past in whirls of pretty colors. I blame the suits.

Oh, and another thing. Handdrawn animation, Pixar and Pirates of the Caribbean? That just doesn't blend.

lil-shawn

The only thing i don´t like on the show is that the spring sprite/ pocahontas scene is not anymore
after the world of color intro and that they took out alice and put in pirates.
but mr. franchize bob did make this decision and we have to live with it...

i think this show is true disney magic, epic and it makes fun to watch all over again.

dlrpkris

Oh my. That pre-parade things are neat. Really cheap to make, but full of colour and fun. I always think you need something cool to pass the time while waiting for a parade or show :) Great addition!

Music, projection, lights, fountains and fire effects are really my thing. I mean REALLY my thing. Considering the amount of hype and investment in this show, I'm feeling slightly disappointed. I was moved, got those goosebumps all over my body and felt myself welling up a little throughout (a sign of a true Disney experience), but it came across as a selection of scenes from the movies – not something that's been intricately woven together.

Don't get me wrong, this HAS to be one of the best things to come out of Disney for many many many years and I'm still so excited to have even seen it on Youtube (thanks for sharing), but it did still just miss something for me. I'm surprised how much of the original movie music was used – and all those different forms of animation were unrecognisable. I must say Buzz's battle with Zurg is truly amazing! And where was half the music on that 'make your own World Of Colour' website? That was epic

I think if Disney really do keep adding to the show then it can only get more special, but there wasn't music of a flow throughout. Anyone else see those points... even though it's stunning?!

EDIT: After typing all that, I see that some of you do in fact agree and think the missing elements are a shame. Hmm :(
"Life\'s a happy game, you could clown around forever - \'cos we\'re the best of friends"
It\'s time to bring down the house - welcome Mickey Mouse!

pussinboots

^^Yes, it was like a "best of" reel.

The part that really struck a chord with me was the Pocahontas scene, which was just a beautiful use of all the effects (plus the music, of course,) but then... Heimlich? And gone is the sentiment you've just built up.

Again, I don't think the Imagineers are to blame, but rather corporate Disney.

By the way, check out 5:34 into the third part. It's the Cheshire Cat after all!

alka1

The Incredibles segment was test footage, it wasn't going to be part of the show. Keep in mind that the D23 presentation was an initial guide for them - not everything was going to be in the show exactly as it appeared there.

QuoteThe part that really struck a chord with me was the Pocahontas scene, which was just a beautiful use of all the effects (plus the music, of course,) but then... Heimlich? And gone is the sentiment you've just built up.

Again, I don't think the Imagineers are to blame, but rather corporate Disney.

That wasn't a corporate decision, that scene was part of the show from the beginning of the creative process.

Quotebut mr. franchize bob did make this decision and we have to live with it...

Uh, no. That wasn't Bob Iger's decision. They tested the show for months, during this time they made adjustments to things they thought worked or didn't work. I think it's funny that people blame Bob for any part of the show they didn't like.

QuoteI mean, why wasn't there a long Sorcerer's Apprentice scene with Mickey splashing the waters around to the music? Just a simple but dramatic segment? And again, any narrative or storyline would have helped. Instead, it all seemed to fly past in whirls of pretty colors. I blame the suits.

Because a similar scene is already part of Fantasmic in the park next door.

--

World of Color is based on the TV show, and is meant to evoke a carousel of color with a really big display of water/lights and other special effects. Each moment has its own storyline (Colors of Earth, Sea and Sky, Colors of Fears, Colors of the Sea, etc) An intricate story arc would have slowed down the show, in my opinion.

This is a show that has to be experienced live, not through a small youtube video. There are many effects that the camera lens just doesn't capture, and  you miss the massive scale of the show.

pussinboots

They were obviously not afraid of a few Fantasmic! similarities, judging by the lengthy Chernabog scene. And Al Lutz did report that Iger (I think) demanded the music be more modern. But you missed my point, which was that the show flies by too fast for its own good. A roller coaster needs a few hill climbs, an action movie needs a suspenseful moment here and there. There was no quiet romance here and there, no "heart," it was just woosh woosh woosh from one scene to the next.

In Fantasmic!, Mickey is the heart, the center, he's what ties it all together. That works...

And as for the argument that a storyline would only have "slowed things down," that's just nonsense and a silly argument for a very incoherent show. I'm not saying there should have been an award-winning plot, just something, anything to tie the Pocahontas scene to freaking Pirates of the Caribbean.

lil-shawn

As i was reading that the alice scene got cut because on the computer and on a smal display it looked good,
but after they tested it on the big screen it didn´t work...
and as i know the whole show had a story, til they begun to cut some stuff.

as i was reading on micechat, if you see it in real, the whole animation looks 3D because
of the moving fountains in front of the screen... so i think after all this is one of the best shows,
disney ever created. and to be honest, i was watching it now 3 times and can´t get enough!

alka1

Quote from: "pussinboots"They were obviously not afraid of a few Fantasmic! similarities, judging by the lengthy Chernabog scene. And Al Lutz did report that Iger (I think) demanded the music be more modern. But you missed my point, which was that the show flies by too fast for its own good. A roller coaster needs a few hill climbs, an action movie needs a suspenseful moment here and there. There was no quiet romance here and there, no "heart," it was just woosh woosh woosh from one scene to the next.

In Fantasmic!, Mickey is the heart, the center, he's what ties it all together. That works...

And as for the argument that a storyline would only have "slowed things down," that's just nonsense and a silly argument for a very incoherent show. I'm not saying there should have been an award-winning plot, just something, anything to tie the Pocahontas scene to freaking Pirates of the Caribbean.

The Chernabog scene was planned to be different from F!, it would use an 80ft telescoping tower. Unfortunately, the tower is MIA at the moment due to technical difficulties.

As someone who's already seen the show live in person, the show never feels rushed. The spirit of the show is the Wonderful World of Color series, the theme song which starts the show. In Fantasmic, the opening and finale scenes have to do with Mickey's imagination - the bulk of the show is just a string of Disney moments.

I find it amusing that people are so quick to judge a show they've experienced from a small video on youtube. the show works on so many different layers - a camera lens just won't capture the real essence of the show.

pussinboots

I don't doubt that the show will seem completely and utterly different in person, and I'm sure that anyone would be amazed by the effects. I hope to see it relatively soon as well. But what you *can* tell from a little video is the pacing and the story. And besides, Sue Kruse even thought so, and she's usually delighted at anything Disney does.