Cinéma Mickey at Videopolis (2009)

Started by Anthony, March 06, 2009, 10:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casschr05

Quote from: "Kristof"So what they did is put a big screen on the LOTLK stage with black fabric covering the rest of the stage.  I didn't wait to see if Mickey came on the stage, didn't feel like watching cartoons while the action was outside Videopolis...  :)

Thanks for the update Kristof!
so was the screen the only 'new' thing then and the rest of the videopolis was untouched?

15MagicalYears

I wonder if Mickey does come on, even just every hour to say "Hey, and enjoy the cartoons!"

Poppy The Monkey

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"I wonder if Mickey does come on, even just every hour to say "Hey, and enjoy the cartoons!"

Nope, he doesn't!  :(  Would be cool if he did though....

Anthony

Every time I went through Videopolis a couple of weeks back I was amazed... people were actually sitting in the theatre seats! And quite a lot of them, too, and all very much enjoying the big screen to watch the cartoons on.

If Entertainment aren't allowed to do any big shows anymore, the big screen here is a very welcome way to stop Videopolis lying dead. And at the end of the day, these brilliant cartoons are a million times more inventive and plain entertaining than any other part of MMP bar Playhouse Disney, so I don't blame them.

c3po

We spent Easter weekend at the park, and my kids aged 3 and 5 enjoyed sitting down at the Videopolis and taking a break to watch the cartoons. I had a hard time getting them out of there!
[size=85]1972 - Disneyland; 1974 - WDW; 1988 - Disneyland; 1996 - Disneyland; 1998 - Disneyland; 2000 - Disneyland; 2003 - WDW (Coronado Springs & Grosvenor Resort); 2009 - DLP (Newport Bay Club); October 2010 - DLP (Sequoia Lodge); October 2014 (Disneyland Hotel); September 2015 (Sequoia Lodge); March 2017 (Sequoia Lodge GF)

luke85

I love watching all of the old Mickey & friends cartoons, so if I'm in DLP anytime soon I'd definitely head to Videopolis and escape the crowds for a few cartoons!

Joseph Carter

Im glad this theatre hasn't been left dormant but I really am unimpressed with Disneys choice of entertainment here. I do not know about past shows but since my visits starting with my first in 1999. I have never seen a show which had ANYTHING to do with Discoveryland??? A futuristic or visionary futuristic themed show,film or anyhting for that matter. Mulan, Lion king, Birthday shows and now this. What on earth does this have to do with science/future/technology/visions etc.
Its a real pet peeve of mine.  :evil:
Anyone else agree??
//http://www.disneymanpodcast.com
Check out the Disneyman Podcast!!! Its disney fun for everyone!

smurfy74

as far as i know it has never had a show themed to the future etc, i went a coupe of years after the opening and it was Beauty and the Beast back then  :D

Joseph Carter

Quote from: "smurfy74"as far as i know it has never had a show themed to the future etc, i went a coupe of years after the opening and it was Beauty and the Beast back then  :D
:shock:
My point is even more pointy now!
NEVER has there been a Futuristic themed or inspired show in DISCOVERYlands own theatre! :x

I admit the Shows have been good. But they would have been good in another land also!
//http://www.disneymanpodcast.com
Check out the Disneyman Podcast!!! Its disney fun for everyone!

Anthony

The original Rock Shock (which I've only ever seen brief clips of) was reasonably fitting for the land.

Not sure if you already knew, but the ironic thing is that the venue was originally intended to transform into a futuristic "discotheque" in the evenings, with the theatre area becoming a giant dance floor. It's a shame they didn't decide sooner about Lion King returning and put the Dance Time event inside here instead. Awful music aside, it could actually have looked quite impressive given a dark theatre and proper lighting.

Though I was positive about Cinéma Mickey being better than nothing earlier, it is taking the [strike:39zlmsgq]pi[/strike:39zlmsgq] Mickey a little that they now list it on the Programme as well as on the Discoveryland tips board.

kiki_304

My 3 year old and 5 year old sons where happily watching the cartoons whilst we had a drink, something to eat and 5 mins to gather ourselves after looking after 2 young kids in a busy park.  

My kids did enjoy watching The lion king there last year and watched cartoons from time time there also.  It is a welcome break though to us parents who rarely get the chance to stop, but they could still do shows in there too like last year.

Also, it was quite busy in there when we were there yesterday and there were lots of adults enjoying the cartoons without having anything to eat. lol

MagicKenny

It is a great thing!! Last time, I got a FastPass for space mountain, and we had to wait 35 minutes, so we went there to watch some cartoons, realy enjoyed it!! (my feet did too!! haha)
Just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, what do we do, we dreaaamm