Cinéma Mickey at Videopolis (2009)

Started by Anthony, March 06, 2009, 10:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ford prefect"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"(heck, the 15th and the additions to WDSP shows they are still capable).

We are into a different theme this year, a low cost theme during a recession.

Using popular characters to drive the family audience, surely a good way of limiting costs whilst driving income and hence profit?

True, and I do not expect anything of the same scale right now, as a business leader, I understand the impact to P&L during a recession. But fixing effects, and putting on street entertainment with really good economic deals could actually produce a better bottom line and a better guest experience.
since 2001 (many before that)

ford prefect

Dave, after a lot of comments it seems that you and I agree about the quality of Disney, it is merely the (hopefully) temporary direction they are taking this year!
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "ford prefect"Dave, after a lot of comments it seems that you and I agree about the quality of Disney, it is merely the (hopefully) temporary direction they are taking this year!

Just like we lost the wonderful Mulan for that awful 10th Anniversary Show, then got the great LK show eventually, I too hope this is a minor blip. But as we are seeing this trajectory in all the resorts including in Asia, it makes me very nervous!!!

casschr05

in my opinion it sounded as if the 'Cinema Mickey' was only temporary in the interview so they could be planning something big for when Mickeys Magical Party.

I like the cinema mickey concept 'as a filler' but I think we need to wait and see what Disney comes up with!

Magicalmouse125

I'm sure Cinema mickey is just temporary. they'll bring something back. Videopolis should be turned into a proper theatre. get rid of the fast food bit and create a whole theatre. nice velvet seats like down in the stalls all the way up. build walls between it and the restaurant and the toilets and make it more exclusive. Then show a proper west end or broadway musical. (Lion King, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the beast or Little mermaid)
[size=150]Long Live MagicForum![/size]

Love From Magical Mouse 125

jennytablina

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"What doesn't do it for me is the over reliance on toons, and seeing them on a screen does even less. I have a large screen TV and almost every Disney release available on DVD and Video. Why would I want to spend so much time and money to travel somewhere else to watch these, when in the same venue we used to be able to enjoy west end quality productions, chinese acrobats, cutting edge dance shows. I would love to see something on that level again.

It's nice that you can afford all those fancy things. Plus that your fondness for Disney goes that far. But Disney's audience isn't just the hardcore fanbase. If anything people such as us are the minority.

Think of the even bigger casual base. Which may not have seen many Disney films let alone the classic shorts. When kids think of Mickey these days its normally Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or House of Mouse. Plus the shorts are not shown everywhere like they were in the 90's and 80's

Plus DLP could do with some sitdown spots: parents have kids that will need a break at some point. What's wrong with a cartoon or two? DL and WDW have done it before with the little Cinema on Main Street ("The Mickey Mouse Story"). This sounds about the same but with actual seats

QuoteI have no problem with a House of Mouse per se, if it were in the Studios as a themed eatery and audioanimatronics et al. But this is a quick cheap fix worthy of a Butlins, not a Disney resort. To treat this as a boon is far more foolish IMHO.

To be fair this aspect of the "Greatest Party" celebration hasn't been talked up as an actual attraction at all. Far as I know that interview was the first mention of the concept. It's not supposed to be part of the draw. It'll likely be a nice surprise for people wanting a quick bite to eat and seeing these shorts being screened. When I went to DLP in 2005, I remember Casey's playing sport related Disney shorts. I enjoyed my pretzels and hot dog and watched while I took a break from touring. Mind I own a lot of Disney films and such too, but its nice to see it with an audience sometimes.

QuoteI want the Disney quality that has been a lifetime obsession, not the durge we see coming through Iger's leadership. Yes, I have lost faith in Disney, especially in WDW and Paris, and I desperately want it back.

Eh? Have you actually been paying attention at all the past 5 years? Iger's done a hell of a lot for the company and taken them in a lot better direction. Though there's still some stuff to sort. Eisner's later years really really hurt Disney terribly in reputation and brand. So far Iger has managed:

• Acquisition of Pixar: say what you want about the buyout, This deal wouldn't of happened if Eisner had stuck around. Plus Lassetter has done some good stuff. Meet the Robinsons was a good first step and Bolt was a return to the Disney I loved.
  • Shutdown/Easing off the Sequel Factory: the sequels being released 1997-2006 were pretty horrendous (with exception of Lion King 2-3, Aladdin trilogy and Bambi 2) Iger was the one who pulled the plug on that. Okay we have High School Musical 4 and maybe more Pirates. But seeng as both are entirely new casts they might still be good (HSM 3 is the first sequel I've seen that's better than the original film, it benefited from that bigger budget for sure)
  • Rebuying Disney Store and making changes: Disney Store had been pretty dire for a while, now the stores are getting new licks of paint and a much better product range, including limited pins in the UK branches at long last

Igers biggest flubs thus far has been going back on the proposed release of Song of the South, the HORRIBLE previews and advertising for Bolt, plus ditching Narnia (I really hope Walden can find another buyer and make the mouse regret cutting them loose, the adaptions of the first two books were amazing).

Also I went to WDW last summer, it still felt magical to me the 6th time around. I didn't win any Dreams during the 2 times I went during Year of a Million Dreams. But I did try Disney dining for the first time and got to do some character meals, I did a tour of MK with a really great tour guide and I even managed to ride Toy Story Mania just after opening! Sure that's all pretty average stuff to some and I paid for it, but the service I got and the memories I made with family and friends there... Thats where the real "magic" of Disney is!

And thats all Walt ever wanted, to make people happy and to entertain them, hoping somehow that his dream would inspire others and allow parents and children to enjoy something together. It's not about how its done, if they use Mickey or Jack Sparrow to headline anything or not, what celebration they happen to have on at a given time or what new ride has opened (though these provide great excuses to come back for more!). People come to Disney to make family memories and most importantly to have fun!

QuoteTo find people defending mediocrity, whether in Disney, medical care, social care or anywhere else, annoys me greatly, and I would rather my children have the honour of the wonderful level of quality I had the experience to enjoy rather than the rubbish cheap reliance on rubber and celluloid.

But those cartoons and shows are the WHOLE reason people come to Disney in the first place.  

It's still a shared experience between people, a good breather and still makes for good family time. I honestly dont see the crime, Disney could choose to do no shows at all this year considering the economic issues. The Disney back catalogue is nothing to be ashamed of so why shy away from it? Better than having nothing there at all right?
Going back to Join Mickeys Party! ]

Previous Disney trips:
WDW: 98, 99, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008
DLP: 2005 (Surprise 16th Birthday trip!)

Krollok

If it´s done right I can´t complain. I alway liked sitting down for 20 minutes or so restng my feet and drink a cup of coffe while watching cartoons. I only hope they will show more than the same 6 cartoons over and over again and if mickey is on stage too, I would say give it a try.

Reiana

I think, it is a nice idea to bring back the cartoons, especially the old ones.
Remember it all started with a mouse  :wink: So, why not bring back the mouse and it's his birthday. If anything, now is the best time.
Sure it's not a longterm solution, but it will do the trick for a while.
We too have almost every Disney DVD incl. some Cartoon collections, but watching them only once and a while.
I think Videopolis is a good place for a break. My little daughter is not allowed to watch TV during any meal, so it would be great for her, to have something to eat an watch cartoons. A thing she can only do when at Disneyland.

Sure a good show is a great thing but not everybody is intersted in shows.
I think I saw almost every Videopolis-show once and never bothered to watch them again.  The only show I will really miss is Mickey's Winterwonderland at Frontierland.
My husband isn't even interested in these shows. He prefers rollercoasters or the TOT.

If I wanna see a good musical or show I go to the theater. Disneyland is not my first choice for that kind of entertainment particularly when there are so many other things to do and enjoy.
We go to Disneyland because of the rubber heads, the rides and the atmosphere.
Sure a good show is a nice addition but not more or less.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Reiana"If I wanna see a good musical or show I go to the theater. Disneyland is not my first choice for that kind of entertainment particularly when there are so many other things to do and enjoy.

For you. But for us, it is a great introduction to the theatre for our kids. The Lion King in the West End would cost us £160 as a family, and we do not know if our 3 year old would sit through it. But she adores the Disney park shows. For us, we do not often go on the coasters. You could say too, if you want thrills, go to Blackpool or Alton Towers - see how that works? Not very helpful is it?

LEt's put it another way, how would someone feel if they ripped Crush Coaster out and put in an arcade?

The Butlin Boy

Basically guys, it's Cinema Mickey, where they show Classic Mickey toons on the screens around Videopolis, or the old toons that they've been playing over and over for the past years. This isn't a big change, and it's not stopping the Lion King either, it's just been put down to a seasonal show (it'll be back in the Summer season); but not because of this, the idea to put it to a seasonal show was made ages ago. What's to complain about, it's nothing new really when you think about it :wink:

jennytablina

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "Reiana"For you. But for us, it is a great introduction to the theatre for our kids. The Lion King in the West End would cost us £160 as a family, and we do not know if our 3 year old would sit through it. But she adores the Disney park shows. For us, we do not often go on the coasters. You could say too, if you want thrills, go to Blackpool or Alton Towers - see how that works? Not very helpful is it?

LEt's put it another way, how would someone feel if they ripped Crush Coaster out and put in an arcade?

davewasbaloo, your kid does not need introduction to theater exclusively through Disney. When I was growing up I participated in many musicals in schools and saw many local pantos. You don't need to go to the west end to see a good show. Just go to your local theater. Heck theres a cheap Disney show touring this year doing a deal at the mo, why not see that? Even with the absence of Lion King there is still the parades, Cinemagique, Animagique, Party time with Mickey, Playhouse Disney Live, and I'm sure there will be plenty inpark entertainment too.  

But dont stake your 3 year olds art appreciation on Disney alone, other people can put on a great show too. I also hope this bad feeling doesn't ruin your upcoming trip. You just have to accept shows come and go like some rides do and that shows generally have a much shorter shelf life.

That and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a good reason to not have Lion King on in the high season. I saw the first showing of Legend of the Lion King on my 16th in June 2005. The Videopolis was grossly over packed and we couldn't locate my dad for the whole showing who had gone in before us while we rode Star Tours. As such I didn't remember the show at all: just me and my mom stressing along with my brother, not being able to see anything and gasping at parents allowing their kids to walk on tables and banisters

Previous Disney trips:

Captain Pan

Quote from: "jennytablina"So far Iger has managed:

• Acquisition of Pixar: say what you want about the buyout, This deal wouldn't of happened if Eisner had stuck around. Plus Lassetter has done some good stuff. Meet the Robinsons was a good first step and Bolt was a return to the Disney I loved.
So you condone his actions of Forcing Pixar into the Aquisition and numerous attempts of stealing Lasseter himself from the Animation Studios?

When Pixar looked at finding another Distributor Pixar was threatened with a Disney Cheep-quel from Circle 7... as Disney claimed through their distribution they owned the rights to all the Characters given story and History by the Men who work for the lamp.
Here Iger ripped the heart of Pixar out... and gave it back to them eventually...

Quote from: "jennytablina"
  • Shutdown/Easing off the Sequel Factory: the sequels being released 1997-2006 were pretty horrendous (with exception of Lion King 2-3, Aladdin trilogy and Bambi 2) Iger was the one who pulled the plug on that. Okay we have High School Musical 4 and maybe more Pirates. But seeng as both are entirely new casts they might still be good (HSM 3 is the first sequel I've seen that's better than the original film, it benefited from that bigger budget for sure)
With the looks at Animation the Closing of Circle 7 wasn't Iger's direction it was Lasseter... Iger appointed Catamul and Lasseter as Creative Officers following the Acquisition of Pixar in 2006, and Lasseter who saw the downturn in Animation Quality, and the way in which the studio moved to churning out Cheep Movies which distroy the history of the character. With this as heads closed down the Disney  Hand Drawn Animation it was Lasseter and Lasseter alone who revived the Closed Hand Drawn Animation Department at Burbank, corrected the Direction of Bolt.

I'm not going to blame anyone for anything... but Like Remy saving Gusteaus its Lasseter who Saves Disney... Wait... Can someone else see the Links between the History of the Disney Company and the Overall Story in Ratatouille? But I think that's for another topic somewhere else

Cinema Mickey... Sounds like a good idea... Although just Disney Shorts?
How about some variation with Extracts from Classic Movies (Steamboat Willie, Fantasia) and adding some of the Pixar Shorts, and even the Cars Toons... It would be nice... But maybe that's whats going to happen, we'll have to wait and see

Reiana

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "Reiana"If I wanna see a good musical or show I go to the theater. Disneyland is not my first choice for that kind of entertainment particularly when there are so many other things to do and enjoy.

For you. But for us, it is a great introduction to the theatre for our kids. The Lion King in the West End would cost us £160 as a family, and we do not know if our 3 year old would sit through it. But she adores the Disney park shows. For us, we do not often go on the coasters. You could say too, if you want thrills, go to Blackpool or Alton Towers - see how that works? Not very helpful is it?

So I'm just an average DLRP visitor. Once or maybe twice a year.
I like coasters but I won't burst into tears if they are replaced by someting else, even if it is stupid. It would be sad, true, but live goes on.
For example. I liked Captain Eo very much and one day, it was repalced by HISTA. Sad, but hey! it was just a show. I didn't start to complain about how great it was (even if some think it wasn't) and what a shame and missmanagement it was, to put the show to a rest.
If I'd start to complain about every thing Disneyland changed within the last 17 years I would be near a heart attack. It's only a themepark :roll:

By the way, I would go to Alton Towers or Blackpool if I could, if I were in the mood for a coaster ride. Why not? It doesn't have to be a Disney coaster if I want to ride a roller coaster.
But beeing from Germany, the nearest real themepark to Munich ist LEGOLAND Günzburg and that's more a kids park.

As mentioned before, I go to DLRP for the overall experience, not because of some special shows.

Sure I get your point and understand your feelings, about replacing something you liked/loved by something boring/stupid, but I don't take this things too serious.

And as teacher I know there are many more funny ways to introduce kids to culture/theater. Don't you have theaters for kids in England or USA?
Sure it's easier for a kid to sit through a show it loves and likes. Same goes for adults.
Our 2 1/4 year old daughter can sit through a 2 hour show and her first cinema visit was with almost 2. No Problem at all. Only problem is, there are not so many films suitable for a 2 year old girl and she want's to go to the cinama again asap.
So we took her to the circus (2 1/2h) instead. She loved it. Next question. "Can we go again?"
Nice if it works the Disney way, but it doesn't have to be Disney all the time.

jennytablina

Quote from: "Captain Pan"
Quote from: "jennytablina"So far Iger has managed:

So you condone his actions of Forcing Pixar into the Aquisition and numerous attempts of stealing Lasseter himself from the Animation Studios?

When Pixar looked at finding another Distributor Pixar was threatened with a Disney Cheep-quel from Circle 7... as Disney claimed through their distribution they owned the rights to all the Characters given story and History by the Men who work for the lamp.
Here Iger ripped the heart of Pixar out... and gave it back to them eventually...

I don't think anything Disney threatened during the Eisner era would of brought Pixar back to the table at that point. As I recall Eisner was the one who formed Circle 7, it was a project in motion before Iger took the reins and it likely stayed there during the start of Iger's appointment as a plan B. Pixar have always known the properties of the original film deal with Disney included the fact all IP from those films belonged to Disney. Pixar mostly stepped in on Toy Story 2 and 3 because Toy Story was their first film. I dont think they would of approved of any sequels but I dont think Toy Story 3 or anything else would of forced them back to the table like that

Also Disney spent years begging Lassetter to come back after he moved to Pixar. Though the attempts to get him were never malicious, they normally asked him and he refused. Doesn't make Disney, Iger or even Eisner bad for trying. Heck Lassetter took one attempt to his advantage and asked Disney to take Pixar along with him, which resulted in Toy Story. Also Lassetter is a huge Disney fan, regardless what the execs from the company has thrown at Pixar that will never change, I don't think the staff at Pixar mind as well.  

Quote from: "jennytablina"
With the looks at Animation the Closing of Circle 7 wasn't Iger's direction it was Lasseter... Iger appointed Catamul and Lasseter as Creative Officers following the Acquisition of Pixar in 2006, and Lasseter who saw the downturn in Animation Quality, and the way in which the studio moved to churning out Cheep Movies which distroy the history of the character. With this as heads closed down the Disney  Hand Drawn Animation it was Lasseter and Lasseter alone who revived the Closed Hand Drawn Animation Department at Burbank, corrected the Direction of Bolt.

I'm not going to blame anyone for anything... but Like Remy saving Gusteaus its Lasseter who Saves Disney... Wait... Can someone else see the Links between the History of the Disney Company and the Overall Story in Ratatouille? But I think that's for another topic somewhere else

Well of course the animation decisions are more Lassetter. But they wouldn't be going through if Iger didn't approve. I'm not saying Iger has fixed everything, but theres been a steady improvement at Disney. Which certainly has helped with Lassetter being on board. The guys got good vision for animation, but he wouldn't be there today if Eisner had stayed in much longer.

Previous Disney trips:

Kristof

So what they did is put a big screen on the LOTLK stage with black fabric covering the rest of the stage.  I didn't wait to see if Mickey came on the stage, didn't feel like watching cartoons while the action was outside Videopolis...  :)