Your Restaurant Reviews! (2006–2012)

Started by Anthony, March 10, 2006, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lauramumof3

ooooooo might try a pizza in cafe mickey then!!
Been to DLP many times when I was little and now with my own children. First time 1992 and th last time was 2012! Going in  November 2017, so exited cant wait :-)

MissDisneyisMagical

5th time to cafe mickey pn 15/12/10 kind of was a complete shambles but not the characters they were brilliant! normally cafe mickey is absolutely brilliant from start to finish, but this time was different we were sat upstairs for the first time it took ages for someone to take our orders, they brought us the wrong drinks the food was not hot but not freezing either once we rcvd it the bill was wrong a lot of other people had problems, the food tasted as normally good and up to standard it just seemed to be the service was a bit unusal for their standards ill still be going every time i go tho perhaps they just had a bad night!
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

LilysDad

Quote from: "MissDisneyisMagical"5th time to cafe mickey pn 15/12/10 kind of was a complete shambles but not the characters they were brilliant! normally cafe mickey is absolutely brilliant from start to finish, but this time was different we were sat upstairs for the first time it took ages for someone to take our orders, they brought us the wrong drinks the food was not hot but not freezing either once we rcvd it the bill was wrong a lot of other people had problems, the food tasted as normally good and up to standard it just seemed to be the service was a bit unusal for their standards ill still be going every time i go tho perhaps they just had a bad night!

Sounds like quite a few problems you encountered ... did they offer to reduce your bill / make it up to you at all ??

Alicegwen

I enjoyed a visit at the Hakuna Matatas. The Hakuna Fries are soo delicious and the Coconut Rock Bun was also okay.
What I really liked was the music. They really kkept on playing songs from the Lion King movies and that is one of my favourite Disney movies so I really liked it!

WalkerboyUK

We ate twice at Plaza Gardens but won't be doing it again.
First night the service was poor - woman completely messed up the payment process, even though we had half-board vouchers.
Food was reasonably good, though they try to encourage the English to use one side, where the food quality isn't so good.  Avoid that and go to the left for the better/fresher food.
Second night was better service and they even threw in 2 of the €3 straws for free.  I tried snails - NEVER AGAIN.....

We've decided that next time we won't bother with half-board.  We weren't particularly hungry so it was a bit of a waste of money when we could probably get pizza or McDonalds and take back to the hotel later on.

Minne&Mickey92

Cafe Mickey - This is deffo our favourite restaurant so far! excellent service and great interaction with characters even for 2 adults with no children! food was excellent , puddings were huge and pluto's steak was to die for. we had the set menu but felt it was great value for money and had alot of choice :)

rainforest Cafe - we ate here in 2010 and the food was lovely its a lovely place , i'd say more of a grown up oriented restaurant than some of the others :), great value set menu and exciting cocktails with complimentary flashing glasses to take home :) brilliant !

Planet Hollywood- we ate here on our first night as our treat night as it certainly wasnt a cheap place to eat , however worth the money food was delicious and so were the movie themed cocktails, i'd reccoment the bourne identity cocktail myself :) i had steak and my 2 friends had the ribs all 3 dishes were cooked perfectly! also they have in house photographers which took a lovely photo of us all which came framed and we bought for 10 euro's didnt think that was too much of an unreasonable price to be honest.

Hakuna matata - nice lunch food , however they have issues with little birds that seem to get in there and sit above you in the artificial trees , to be honest being poo'd on by a bird whilst trying to eat doesnt really help your appetite

Annettes Diner - Lunch was great here lovely milkshakes and burgers , however in the day the waitresses are not on rollerskates and it lacks atmosphere a little.

newport bay hotel buffet - The service is great here and the waiter even gave us masks and took photo's of our group , however food choice is very limited considering its a buffet and the majority was cold. were unfussy adults and we couldnt find much that we particularly liked other than cold prawns and the choice for children was even worse , so if your looking for a tasty varied buffet id try somewhere else to be honest :)

One tip i would have is if you have lunch at one of the counter service resaraunts the good thing is they give you vouchers for free drinks and snacks later in the day which saves looooooaddss of cash

MissDisneyisMagical

Quote from: "LilysDad"
Quote from: "MissDisneyisMagical"5th time to cafe mickey pn 15/12/10 kind of was a complete shambles but not the characters they were brilliant! normally cafe mickey is absolutely brilliant from start to finish, but this time was different we were sat upstairs for the first time it took ages for someone to take our orders, they brought us the wrong drinks the food was not hot but not freezing either once we rcvd it the bill was wrong a lot of other people had problems, the food tasted as normally good and up to standard it just seemed to be the service was a bit unusal for their standards ill still be going every time i go tho perhaps they just had a bad night!

Sounds like quite a few problems you encountered ... did they offer to reduce your bill / make it up to you at all ??

so sorry for the long reply i forgot i posted this!! no they did nothing to make up for it! sorry
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

meathjen

We went on our 1st trip in March 2011 & ate in heaps of places, the majority had lovely food.

Annette's on our 1st night, food, service, atmosphere all fab & we got there just in time to be seated right away, 10mins later & the queue was out the door!

La Catina (sp?) - buffet in Santa Fe; was really nice, loads of food, very fresh & they didn't even charge for DD which wasn't expected but was an added bonus.

Plaza Gardens - disaster & disgusting, never again & very expensive (for what you got).

Cafe Mickey - again never, ever, ever again, even if it was for free. I gave full run down in my report but basically we were ignored & they had no time for our complaints at the end.

Trip 1 March 2011 Santa Fe
Trip 2 Sept 2011 Sequoia Lodge

aliscrapper

Quote from: "meathjen"We went on our 1st trip in March 2011 & ate in heaps of places, the majority had lovely food.

Annette's on our 1st night, food, service, atmosphere all fab & we got there just in time to be seated right away, 10mins later & the queue was out the door!

La Catina (sp?) - buffet in Santa Fe; was really nice, loads of food, very fresh & they didn't even charge for DD which wasn't expected but was an added bonus.

Plaza Gardens - disaster & disgusting, never again & very expensive (for what you got).

Cafe Mickey - again never, ever, ever again, even if it was for free. I gave full run down in my report but basically we were ignored & they had no time for our complaints at the end.

What kinds of food did you get at La Cantina???  We eat recently at the Chuck Waggon and all the food was smothered in grease and butter; so just wondering whether La Cantina was any better on this score?? Thanks :thumbs:

Mrs Pluto

All the times ive been DLP, Ive never had table service. always had counter service. But next time when we go in March we have gone Half board Standard.....Been looking around for reviews. Seems Plaza Gardens, Restaurant Des Stars and Chuck wagon were getting great views!
I just dont have a clue about any of the resaurants! We want to make our first full day there FAB! we are starting off with a character Breakfast and Cafe Mickey's! So would love a great place for a late lunch. I have also seen that you can trade your half board vouchers in for the face value of whats on the back? Is this correct?
Ive always wanted to try out Walts, Which isnt on Standard HB

ed-uk

I love Plaza Gardens, do you know the film "Meet me in St. Louis" ? It could be a scene out of that. Restaurant of the Stars is also very good, It's our favourite restaurant in the Studios. If you're going for the all you can eat buffets, I can also recommend Cafe Agrabah restaurant in Adventureland. It's beautifully themed. I love their mint tea, otherwise I like to have a glass or two of wine with my meal. You can also book a table, we do at City Hall in the morning if we think it's going to be busy. Some people like to book their tables months in advance, we've never needed to do that. Also if you're eating in a restaurant try and have a leisurely meal, don't plan it so you have to be rushing out to catch the next parade or show. Service in restaurants can be slow. :-"
Ed & David

MissDisneyisMagical

went to cafe mickey tuesday 14th december waiter was brilliant! characters brilliant! food delicious! although we had to wait ages for our drinks and the waiter did tell the other waiter off for keeping us waiting and we also had to wait for the bill for a while. but our waiter was very good and very entertaining and came after to us to say thank you for our tip

kirstenoel

The meal we had at the Yacht club in Newport Bay Hotel was the best meal in Disneyland Paris. A wide variety of tasty treats and excellent service! And so many veggie options!!!!  :thumbs:

Annette's Diner was great too, especially for a quick bite if you get takeaway and sit outside.
We used to love going to Cafe Mickey (back in the day) but we avoided it this trip because the food on the last trip was so awful.
My Youtube Channel] //http://www.youtube.com/noelkir
My Disney Photos] //http://www.flickr.com/kirstenoel
?? A Wimba Way A Wimba Way ??

ForeverDreaming

My favourite restaurant has to be the Silver Spur Steakhouse, so much so that when I went over Christmas I booked to eat there two consecutive nights. The service is great, it's one of the few restaurants in the park that is table service, there is plenty of room so you don't feel that you are sitting on top of other people. Most importantly the food is of a really high standard. It may be more expensive than the buffet or counter service restaurants but I highly recommend eating at the Silver Spur, I only discovered how good it is over my last few visits, I wish I had known earlier.

The most disappointing meal I had recently was actually in Disney Village at Planet Hollywood, I always loved to eat there but in recent years it really seems to have deteriorated, not just in quality of food but also overall atmosphere and appearance. It seems to have lost it's spark, yet despite all of this it is still one of the more expensive restaurants to eat in, at least it was when I went there. I really hope they do something to get it back to it's previous standard.

samuelvictor

We've just come back from Disney, our second trip, after our first visit nearly a year before.

Last time we couldn't afford any food other than our included breakfast, (we brought lots of tesco value pot noodles and such!) but were looking forward this trip to having a small amount more spending money so wanted to at least try one restaurant.

Billy Bob's Night 1
We had decided to go to Disney this year during the St David's Day Welsh festival. This was motivated by the fact that our family is all at least part Welsh, and also because this seemed the only way we could afford to see fireworks in Disney (they didn't disappoint).

When researching what we were going to get extra/new because of the celebrations, we saw that for 2 nights Welsh bands were playing at Billy Bob's in Disney Village so we decided to eat there and check out the bands. A little searching and we found the example menus on this very website, and were pleased to see that it had actually one of the cheapest "set meal" menus at around EUR 12 for an adult to have a meal, drink and desert, at EUR 6 for kids to have the same. (significantly cheaper per head than Annettes for example). It turns out that we could actually afford for our whole family to have a set meal each two nights in a row so we could check out both the bands!

The first night we went at 8:30pm, ready for the band which started at 9:00. We didn't book a table, just walked straight in, it was busy but not cramped, a decent capacity building on three levels. My wife and I both had the "half chicken" option, which came with chips and barbeque sauce (we asked to have the sauce separately incase we didn't like it - my wife is not to keen on hot things.) The chicken was absolutely beautiful - moist, well cooked, and there was a heck of a lot of it! The chips were nice, and there was a decent amount, and personally I really liked the barbeque sauce, though my wife tried it, and preferred the chicken plain. Our children had kids meals, essentially chicken nuggets and chips. We all got a (small, but tasty) chocolate brownie for desert, and a drink.

We watched the first band (the Monophonics - a Stereophonics tribute, who did a really good job and played an hour's set) and ate our food, all agreeing that we liked the surroundings. It didn't feel cramped or rushed, and the theming of the bar/restaurant was really cool. The band put on a good show, and at the end of the night we really felt like we'd had excellent value for money.

Billy Bob's Night 2
The second night we were quite a lot later, because there were fireworks at 10pm, so we wanted to see these first. We then RAN to Billybobs as we didn't want to miss the band! The band that night was "Kane'd" who were absolutely excellent, and played all the way up to midnight, with a small interlude. They interacted really well with the crowd and played a mix of their own songs, and familiar classics. We absolutely loved them. They even played my request, and sent me a lovely message when I became a fan on facebook saying they remembered me!  :D/

This night I decided to try a different option and went for the Chilli Con Carne with Cheese sauce (again, asking for the sauce separately). The Chilli was absolutely delicious. The cheese sauce looked and tasted like melted McDonald's "plastic" cheese, which I actually really enjoyed but I imagine others might not have liked, so maybe asking for the sauce on the side is a wise move. My wife went for the chicken again, and though she enjoyed it again, she said it seemed a little drier and perhaps this was because we had gone later in the evening and it had been kept warm. Still, she had no complaints and still ate and enjoyed it all. We decided to pay a little extra (only a couple of euros per head) so the kids could have special cups with mocktails in so they would have a souvenir to remember the place, my daughter had a (washable/keepable) plastic cup with a light up Tinkerbell straw, and my son had a cool Disney style cocktail shaker.

Billy Bob's Overall notes
GOOD: The theming of the place is excellent, and theres plenty of space.
GOOD: Excellent live entertainment if you can catch a show. I'd recommend checking what's on and planning your visit.
GOOD: The "set meal" options for Billy Bobs are really good value, some of the best value in the parks/village.
GOOD: Both the chicken and the chilli options are very tasty, and good sized portions, but eat earlier in the night if you can.

NOTE: The buffet is significantly more expensive than the set meal if you don't have a voucher.
NOTE: You eat upstairs - I didn't see a lift, so bare this inmind if you have buggies/wheelchairs
NOTE: Buffet appears to be on the third floor - not sure how well you'd see/hear the bands from up there.
NOTE: Food is on (nice quality) cardboard plates and cutlery is plastic. Might bother you, didn't bother us at all!

Welsh Market Food Carts
I cannot stress how amazing the food was from the Welsh market. Obviously its only on for three days a year, but if you're there you MUST check it out. We had fresh Welshcakes (gorgeous) some amazing Indian food, samosas etc (great value deals on buying several, easily an entire meal for EUR 10!) and a cheese stall selling different types of cheeses which were absolutely divine. Seriously these are the best, highest quality and most unusual cheeses I've ever tried. We bought a tonne for ourselves, and loads for family & friends.

Everything at the Welsh market (well the food at least) was very reasonable, and amazing quality. The sellers were friendly and glad to tell you all about where the different foods come from and how and why they are made. Excellent stuff.

Santa Fe Breakfast
I posted this last year, but the breakfasts at Santa Fe are simple, but lovely. Four types of cereal, four types of fruit juice, fruit salad, cold meats, two cheeses (though these tasted bland after the amazing Welsh market ones!), croissants, pain au chocolat, bread rolls, toast (butter, nutella, jams, marmalade). Decent selection of coffees/teas/hot chocolate.

It's all basic stuff but its clean, fresh, and there's plenty of it. Turn up early to avoid the ques and stuff yourself full of as much as possible. Yes it'd be nice to have cooked breakfast items as well, but really there's a lot of choice here and considering that once you take the price of park tickets away, essentially your hotel room and breakfast are free, you couldn't ask for better value.  

Overall  
It was nice to be able to at least try some food at Disney this time. hopefully by our next trip we can afford to try a wider variety of restaurants (and my daughter would love eating with the princesses) but even with our desire to try new places (a six layer burger at Annettes is calling me!) we'd certainly eat at Billy Bob's again, especially if there is a show on!  =D>