Walt Disney Studios Store changes

Started by phantom247, December 13, 2008, 03:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

I came across this quote on Jim Hill Media (it's about the new Buena Vista Street at Disney's California Adventure):

Quote"Look at Main Street U.S.A. That's one very effective retail corridor. Whenever you enter or exit Disneyland, you're forced to walk along this one very narrow street that then takes you by all these windows which are loaded with merchandise. In a situation like that, people just can't help but shop.

Now take a look at Sunshine Plaza and its wide open spaces. There's nothing about this part of that Park that naturally funnels people into Greetings from California or Engine-Ears Toys. Which is why [these] two shops combined don't do a 10th of the business that Disneyland's Emporium does."
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... oject.aspx

It seems to resonate here at the Walt Disney Studios as well, doesn't it?

Riebi

absolutly! They should rethink about the whole concept of frontlot. More doors and more windows are a first step. But why not having a litte frontlot café (LITTLE CAFÈ DE FRONTLOT :mrgreen:  to find a name before the imagineers create something totally stunning  :mrgreen: ), a Walt´s Boutique nearby with special high class merchandising. But don´t forget to integrate Studio 1. They should do here a real hollywood bvd. with more theming more details and real shops. This "look behind the fences"-thing is a nice touch but has the problem of little ambiance behind the shop doors as main street has. They should find a new concept for the complete frontlot to keep more life inside and make it a cool place to stay and not just a entrance to run through as fast as you can.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Anthony

The problem with Front Lot is that it comes far too soon after you enter the park. When you walk through the gates of Disneyland Park, you get that moment of the "lights dimming" before the curtain is raised on Main Street. In Front Lot you're thrown right into it, and still too busy thinking about putting your ticket away safely, getting a park map, etc by the time you walk into Studio 1.

Walt Disney Studios Store is really only comparable to the easily missed Plaza East and West boutiques over the hub. If the Studios is to have a good Main Street-esque "retail corridor" then it would be better being Hollywood Boulevard.

Quote from: "Riebi"(LITTLE CAFÈ DE FRONTLOT :mrgreen:
What?! Far, far too inventive name! :lol:

lil-shawn

QuoteLITTLE CAFÈ DE FRONTLOT

haha thats a nice name, it would fit with all the other stupid names they put
on some stuff, like café café or what ever LOL

but i really think a nice café at frontlot with a terasse or something like this would
fit perfectly. also i think wds needs a $1 billion makeover too like DCA.
this park have such a big potential they could turn it out to a really great disney
park.

The Butlin Boy

An update can be found on DLRP Times:

http://www.dlrptimes.com/article-30760203.html

Anthony

Comparison:

Definitely an improvement. Though a bit bleak without any plants there now, since the planter was removed.

The inside is even better:

Bland, but rather nice with the big windows and better-placed paydesks.

Timbo

Think this looks really good , and the tops of the arched windows which looked mismatched before look fine;and one of them is a door as thought.Must agree a cafe would be fantastic there !
I think this stores problem is that it is too far to one side of the entrance ,of the park ; you don't naturally walk right past it.You are either hurrying in to the park in the morning,or too tired as you leave to be bothered to walk across the front lot to have a look.I find the whole of Studio One far too cramped and tend to rush through it into the park.It is not really a place I want to linger,I remember being so disappointed when I first saw inside after all the descriptions of it prior to the Studios opening !!!!

kaysha

Many thanks for the comparison Anthony, I was searching a picture of the Store as it was before! (I updated the article  on DLRP Times :D )

These refurb is really great and respects the original architecture, I think they will do the same now on the left part (windows and a new entrance).

Kristof

Quote from: "kaysha"Many thanks for the comparison Anthony, I was searching a picture of the Store as it was before! (I updated the article  on DLRP Times :D )

These refurb is really great and respects the original architecture, I think they will do the same now on the left part (windows and a new entrance).

http://www.photosmagiques.com

:)

luke85

Thanks for posting the pics Anthony, I think the changes are a big improvement!

dagobert

I like the improvements, they made a good job, but I don't think that it will pull more people into the shop. Although you are already in the park, you don't recognize the shop, because you are more interested in the things that awaits you behind Studio 1. Maybe it will get busier when guest leave the park.

I have always liked this shop, because it is not so packed than all the other shops in the resort.

In my opinion it would be better to downsize this shop and to use the space for a little cafe with a nice outdoor sitting area. In return it would be great to get a big shop inside the "real" park.

Riebi

Pixiedust.be reports that now the other side of the store get an entrance:

:arrow: //http://www.pixiedust.be/pagina77aaaaaaaaaaaaa.html
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

bigrossco

they cant even get the cover right with one of them wrong! douh
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

lil-shawn

hey guy´s so they´re done with work, and i think it looks really good...
i found the pics on disney magic interactive...

dagobert

Well done!!
Still one of my favorite shops, because it wasn't as packed as the Emporium.

As I said a few posts before, they should downsize the shop, because I don't think that this shop will attract more people. It would be better to have a bigger shop in the "main park" behind Studio 1. They could use the new space for a little café with a nice sit down area in Front Lot.