DLR | Disney California Adventure makeover project

Started by Anthony, February 12, 2006, 09:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Maybe we should place bets on how the park will be renamed. Whoever's closest gets... Well, nothing, but that shouldn't matter.

dagobert

I don't think that Disney will rename the park, because they didn't change the theme of the park. In my opinion all new additions and attractions fit into the California theme.

pussinboots

Well, they've already confirmed that they're considering it. The current name is either suspiciously absent from or hastily Photoshopped into the concept art for the new entrance. And while most of the $1bn project additions could indeed fit within the California theme in one way or another, that's probably because even that billion dollars won't buy them a complete new park. (Although it would buy them one and a half Walt Disney Studioses.) They have to build on what's already there.

But most importantly, it seems to me, the current name is clearly tainted — gee, does that ring a bell? — and not up to the task of communicating what they want the park to become: Disneyland 2.

You could be right... But I think they'll rename it.

dagobert

Quote from: "pussinboots"Well, they've already confirmed that they're considering it. The current name is either suspiciously absent from or hastily Photoshopped into the concept art for the new entrance. And while most of the $1bn project additions could indeed fit within the California theme in one way or another, that's probably because even that billion dollars won't buy them a complete new park. (Although it would buy them one and a half Walt Disney Studioses.) They have to build on what's already there.

But most importantly, it seems to me, the current name is clearly tainted — gee, does that ring a bell? — and not up to the task of communicating what they want the park to become: Disneyland 2.

You could be right... But I think they'll rename it.

What name would you choose for the park? I'm not very creative in finding park names, so I don't know which name I would choose.

Anthony

It depends if the "California" needs to be ditched entirely, or if it's just the combination of Calfornia and Adventure that has become toxic.

Walt Disney's California would make a lot of sense. Although I'm not sure how that'd fit in with their need to add "park" to the end. Walt Disney's California park doesn't sound right. Perhaps it could coincide with Disneyland park losing it's "park" and just becoming Disneyland.

But yeah, with the Carthay Circle and Buena Vista Street with the new statue, DCA should soon be offering up more of a tribute to the man himself, allowing his own park across the way not to become too saddled down with its own history.

pussinboots

"Disney's California Adventure park" doesn't sound like much, either, but there you go...

Just looking at other people's suggestions: Walt Disney's California(n) Adventure, Walt Disney's California, Disney's Golden Dreams, PixarLand, Buena Vista, 2 Billion Dollar Park. That's no good, is it.

But yes, the general prediction is that they'd want to turn the spotlight on Walt nostalgia. Kind of like how "Walt Disney World" got its "Walt."

It's not really the most adventurous of parks, though, is it. Adventure implies exotic locales where anything could happen, not a quaint recreation of a rather habitable state. Perhaps it's that word that needs to go and not "California."

dagobert

I would choose "Walt Disney's California Park" from your suggestions.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"It's not really the most adventurous of parks, though, is it. Adventure implies exotic locales where anything could happen, not a quaint recreation of a rather habitable state. Perhaps it's that word that needs to go and not "California."
Walt Disney's California Adventure might be nice, in the sense that the new statue shows him arriving in the state and then it all spawns from there, but it's probably too long to be marketable. I wouldn't actually be surprised if they did keep Disney's California Adventure for that reason. It might make a bit more sense in a few years.

Disney's Californialand?

pussinboots

Perhaps, rather than playing Scrabble with the existing name, as the Mensa set over at MiceChat have been doing for three years now, it's worth thinking about the essence of the makeover. Surely, considering the cost and breadth of the project, and considering that incoherence has been one of the park's core problems, we can safely assume that people have been sitting in a room trying to answer the question of "what is the park about in a sentence?" But looking at the plans, it's still a battle between Walt worship, the state of California and the pu pu platter it's always been. The concisest statement you could make about the park is that it's a collection of rides and areas that mostly take place in California for some reason. But if they're no longer willing to acknowledge this, having shot down most of the Mali-Burritos-style puns and all of the "golden" adjectives, what's the point in calling it "California Adventure?" Just because it's the best they've got? I don't get it.

Anthony

Silly Symphony Swings, photo from D23:

dagobert

I didn't want to open a new topic so I'm going to post it here.

I did some research on Walt Disney Parks and Resorts on Wikipedia and then I read this phrase:
In December 2009, Disney officially announced that the Disneyland Resort will add a new E ticket attraction in Frontierland that will be built upon the grounds of the new "Mickey's Bar-B-Que"

You will find it here: (You have to scroll down to FUTURE PROPERTIES - American Projects):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disne ... n_projects

Did I miss something or is just a stupid joke. Usually I don't trust Wikipedia since everybody can edit the articles, but I thought I will ask here if it is true.

CafeFantasia

I believe that's just a rumour. Nothing has been officially announced yet.

alka1

Quote from: "dagobert"I didn't want to open a new topic so I'm going to post it here.

I did some research on Walt Disney Parks and Resorts on Wikipedia and then I read this phrase:
In December 2009, Disney officially announced that the Disneyland Resort will add a new E ticket attraction in Frontierland that will be built upon the grounds of the new "Mickey's Bar-B-Que"

You will find it here: (You have to scroll down to FUTURE PROPERTIES - American Projects):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disne ... n_projects

Did I miss something or is just a stupid joke. Usually I don't trust Wikipedia since everybody can edit the articles, but I thought I will ask here if it is true.

Yeah, that is just a rumor at this point and nothing has been officially announced yet. MiceAge.com has reported that two new E-Tickets are rumored for DL's upcoming 60th birthday. One would be located at the Festival Arena in Frontierland, and the other would replace Innoventions in Tomorrowland.

dagobert

Thanks for the answers. I already thought that the attractions are just a rumour.

alka1

Silly Symphony Swings is almost near completion. It opens up pretty soon! Workers are now adding the finishing touches..

new lampposts feature classic Donald and music note decorations

at night, the new structure really sparkles!

- Dateline Disneyland