Les Mystères du Nautilus, what's the attraction

Started by Pete's Dragon, December 03, 2008, 03:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil-shawn

QuoteThis threat is quite depressing really. Disney was always about the theming. Bu with people calling LMDN a yawn fest and others being excited about the Six Flags/Thorpe Park style Toy Story Play Land, it shows I too am a relic of Disney's past.

Something like the Nautilus or Adventure Isle is far more inspiring and interesting that meet and greets. Heck, Disney used to be wonderful at offering varied options.

I completely argee with you. This little things and the very high themening is what makes a disney park.
It brings atmosphere and you can ejoy walking around and not just go on the rides.

best sample is WDS, here i wanna do as fast all rides so i can get out as fast as possible couse
its boring, ugly, and real mess of a park.
Disney parks need something to discover, good quality and themed rides, rich detailed theming and a lot
of landscaping.

QuoteAnd the staggered opening and closing of the Nautilus is scary. Disney have been known to do this so there is data to back up that an attraction may be unpopular, therefore a candidate for closure/to rip it out (look at Le Visionarium, Wonders of Life, World of Motion etc.).

i really hope they don´t think about it to close that, i love to walk in there and soak up the rich details.
also it can´t be so expansive to run this walk through! they should think about closing Honey, I Shrunk the Audience! befor closing LMDN!!!!!

dagobert

I love LMDN, unfortunately we missed is during our last visit. It was closed most of the time.

I think DLP is too good for Europe, because many people don't appreciate the great theming. For many it is just about rides. We didn't ride that many attractions and sometimes it was just great to walk around the park to enjoy the atmosphere.

luke85

Quote from: "lil-shawn"best sample is WDS, here i wanna do as fast all rides so i can get out as fast as possible couse
its boring, ugly, and real mess of a park.

This is how I spend my time in WDS too, I don't hang around. I literally get in there, do what I want to do, then get back to Disneyland as quick as possible! I hope that changes one day, I really do.

As far as LMDN goes, I LOVE it! It's one of my favourite places to visit in Disneyland park, it's atmosphere is fantastic. The entrance is fantastic! Another favourite bit of mine, is the exit turnstile in the form of a propellor!

lil-shawn

QuoteI think DLP is too good for Europe, because many people don't appreciate the great theming. For many it is just about rides.

I don´t think so, the eurpeans like the detailed theming, many visitors walk araound at the park and soak up the atmosphere. if you look at adventure island, main street U.S.A ect, there are everytime visitors walking around.
and if you look now at WDS, how many visitors hang around at front lot or any other place! no one just because
its boring and ugly. here all they wanna do are the rides, but this is not the same at disneyland park.

I really think the problem why no one visit this walkthrough is because of the opening time, and also because
at this corner is not much to do, so the visitors hang around at the other side of discoveryland.

HildeKitten

This seems to be the standard opening time for Nautilus these days.  It's good to see it at least has set hours, but I wish it was open for longer.  

davewasbaloo

Wow, that's better than last May where it was something like 12:30 - 15:30.
since 2001 (many before that)

mommy2ash

in four trips i have never done this walkthrough, i also havent done the treehouse or the caves as i couldnt ever see somewhere to put the buggy. i am a bit dubious about leaving it somewhere unless there are other buggies around but i am definitely going to do it on my next trip in march. im not one for thrill rides so i spend a lot of time taking in whats around the parks i even have some random pics of trees and things  :lol:
Santa Fe Oct 08
Santa Fe Feb 09
Santa Fe/Sequioa Lodge Nov 09

HildeKitten

Quote from: "mommy2ash"in four trips i have never done this walkthrough, i also havent done the treehouse or the caves as i couldnt ever see somewhere to put the buggy. i am a bit dubious about leaving it somewhere unless there are other buggies around but i am definitely going to do it on my next trip in march. im not one for thrill rides so i spend a lot of time taking in whats around the parks i even have some random pics of trees and things  :lol:

I'm sure you'll like it a lot then.  Maybe you can ask a CM where a good place to leave the buggy is?  I'm sure they know somewhere near enough to the ride if there aren't any buggies parked right outside.

Martyn

Quote from: "Willow"Its just a nice little walkthrough which adds something to the park on a whole. Its not going to bring in the crowds but its just a nice little corner of the park which deson't bother anyone.

Its totally a Disney thing, many of the traditional Disney fans love it, its similar to the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough which recently opened again, in my opinion its something Walt would like in a park.

Thats exactly how I see it. (Though I dont think I know of this Castle walkthrough thingy?)

Its not actually an attraction, its just something to do, that sums Disney up. Just think of how much money that would have cost them, for nothing, its just a simple little walk through, which is superbly themed.

Its serves the same purpose as the Aladdin walkthrough.

johnd331

For some reason, some people only consider an "attraction" an attraction if it involves getting your arse parked into some kind of vehicle while preferably being accelerated around at a certain number of Gs.

I really love this walk-trough and I hope Disney will continue to treat it with some dignity. I don't consider it as a seperate attraction, it's just part of the park. The interior is very close to the version presented in the classic movie and it has an awesome level of detail.

It's those kind of attractions that make Disney unique. It's just a walk-trough with a small show now and then, yet it's executed with so much detail for perfection.

This also marks the main difference between WDS and the Disneyland Park. You can stroll trough it for hours without getting bored and ever going onto one of the distincively marked attractions.

HildeKitten

The fact that it looks a lot like the movie, and is so strongly reminiscent of the book is definitely one of the reasons I love it too.

RnRCj

The Nautilus is my favourite attraction of Discoveryland. It is a true Imagineering masterpiece. Every time I'm in Discoveryland I can't help but get drawn into it.

It's shame that some of the effects no longer work, but I think there is a refurb coming soon (?) so hopefully it'll be looking good as new after that.

dagobert

In my opinion "Nautilus" is an attraction, because it transfers you in a complete different world. In this case into 20000 Miles under the Sea. Didn't Walt Disney build Disneyland to bring his movies alive. I think Nautilus is a good example for this.

But I wouldn't consider the City Hall an attraction, despite it is listed on the park map as an attraction.

Aladar

Attractions don't have to be necessarily rides where you have a series of sensorial experiences. Les Mysteres du Nautilus is an attraction in which the guest is led to let imagination make the experience. The same as in the Swiss Family Treehouse, Adventure Isle, Captain Hook's Pirate Ship, Alice's Courious Labirinth... This kind of attraction immerses you into the action of the story so guests can imagine themselves and play the roles they want. It's a pity that many people don't get this point and they refer to these attractions as mere museums. Next time you go into the Nautilus, let your imagination fly and play for a few minutes pretending you're Captain Nemo.

ToadWithPinkEyes

It's a brilliant attraction that should never be closed. Although I've often had to go and do it on my own because the rest of my fam aren't interested! But real fans love it. Most visitors wont go in it. BUT can you imagine if it had huge queues like in Space Mountain? It would suck! But having said that I do hope it never goes!