Les Mystères du Nautilus, what's the attraction

Started by Pete's Dragon, December 03, 2008, 03:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete's Dragon

If I was to sum up the attraction in one word it would wither be

"Next" , "Eegh" or "Boring"

I don't get it and niether did my son. So what 's the appeal to all those who actually make a point of visiting it ? Whose holiday isn't complete unless they've walked 20,000 leagues under the sea, and why ?

Don't get me wrong, it's not walk-throughs in general I don't like. The Robinson Treehouse is good, and so is Aladdins. Maybe it's because I was on the proper ride in WDW when I was a kid, and was very disappointed to find this stripped down version at DLRP.

Please explain what makes it good for you.

never2old

I also went on the WDW one as a kid, and was greatly dissapointed by the one in Paris...  The first time I went in it I was really expecting the same kind of ride I remembered from all those years before - I mean Phantom Manor, BTM, POTC... they were all similar!

But now that I know what it is, I personally like it... The theming is great, there's plenty of little artifacts to look at, and because hardly anyone goes there you can really take your time!! And then there's the big octopus, when the windown opens, that's always fun... I don't know, I can really imagine I'm inside the real Nautilus... Shame is often closed.

Willow

Its just a nice little walkthrough which adds something to the park on a whole. Its not going to bring in the crowds but its just a nice little corner of the park which deson't bother anyone.

Its totally a Disney thing, many of the traditional Disney fans love it, its similar to the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough which recently opened again, in my opinion its something Walt would like in a park.

The Helmsman

Quote from: "Willow"Its just a nice little walkthrough which adds something to the park on a whole. Its not going to bring in the crowds but its just a nice little corner of the park which deson't bother anyone.

Its totally a Disney thing, many of the traditional Disney fans love it, its similar to the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough which recently opened again, in my opinion its something Walt would like in a park.

Exactly what i wanted to say :) !

I visit Les Mystères du Nautilus, on every trip to DLRP.
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

Luigi

i like the walktrough too, always visit it at least one time and wait for the octopus attack.
I think it 's well done creating atmosphere and i don't expect anything more from it anyway.

Timbo

The Nautilus was added for a couple of reasons,one because it is a reference to the submarines at Disneyland CA;and it is part of the theme of Discoveryland that has links to discovery in many ways,Hyperion is the air,Autopia the land ,Space Mountain obviously space,and Nautilus shows the discovery of the seas !!
Didn't work all this out for myself,it is in the Disneyland Paris book !!!!! I ain't that smart !!

pussinboots

I think attractions like this are the theme park equivalent of books. Their appeal may go over the heads of many whose minds have been numbed by modern man's successful endeavor to create a culture which never requires its people to employ their brains for more than three consecutive seconds before being relieved by something shiny and fast-moving... But they're there for those who appreciate them.

And things seem to be looking up for the medium. If even Californians — who have so lost the concept of walking that they no longer build sidewalks — can appreciate the return of the Sleeping Beauty walk-through, then surely Europeans could once again appreciate the Nautilus, the Labyrinth, Aladdin and the Treehouse. Ideally, to the point where Euro Disney decides to finance a decent refurbishment for them all.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "pussinboots"I think attractions like this are the theme park equivalent of books. Their appeal may go over the heads of many whose minds have been numbed by modern man's successful endeavor to create a culture which never requires its people to employ their brains for more than three consecutive seconds before being relieved by something shiny and fast-moving... But they're there for those who appreciate them.

And things seem to be looking up for the medium. If even Californians — who have so lost the concept of walking that they no longer build sidewalks — can appreciate the return of the Sleeping Beauty walk-through, then surely Europeans could once again appreciate the Nautilus, the Labyrinth, Aladdin and the Treehouse. Ideally, to the point where Euro Disney decides to finance a decent refurbishment for them all.

I like the other walk-throughs, just not Nautilus. I dunno, it seems more like walking into a history museum that an attraction. They should have copied the WDW version.

davewasbaloo

I love the walk through, and it has a great pastiche to the sets on display at the original DL in the 50's and 60's. To me, the greatness of the Disney park experience is in creating rich environments to be explored, and the Nautilus epitomises this more than most attractions at DLP. I would rather Indy be ripped out before the Nautilus. I love it (but it would be even better if it were a themed queue to an attraction similar to the one at Tokyo Disney Sea!
since 2001 (many before that)

WaltDisneyFanBoy

Been in there just once. I was actulay affraid that I would fall asleep on the spot, becouse it's sooooo boring. But thats just how I feel about it. Its nice from the outside, but from the inside, no

Joe Soap

When last did the naysayers actually watch "20 000 Leagues Under The Sea"? Obviously the feel of the attraction and the film are lost on them. All I need is the James Mason Narration while I walk through the tunnels into the attraction, and I'm full of gooseflesh!

The atmosphere is perfect. Then again, if you're deaf...

The other awesome thing is that it was part of the original plans for Discoveryland! One of two sole survivors! Awesome!

Any perfect day at Disneyland for me, includes 'Les Mysteres Du Nautilus'.
 :D

HildeKitten

Quote from: "pussinboots"I think attractions like this are the theme park equivalent of books. Their appeal may go over the heads of many whose minds have been numbed by modern man's successful endeavor to create a culture which never requires its people to employ their brains for more than three consecutive seconds before being relieved by something shiny and fast-moving... But they're there for those who appreciate them.

=D>
I absolutely agree.

Nautilus is one of my favorite rides in the park, it may have something to do with being a huge Jules Verne fan I admit, the set-up rocks, the atmosphere is fabulous, I just ADORE it.
If they ever get rid of that I will be very very VERY upset.

I also love how there is a Nautilus in the lake around Space Mountain, and how the actual attraction is an underground walk-through to similuate the idea of a submarine vessel.
It's definitely one of the finer feats of imagineering.

HildeKitten

Quote from: "Joe Soap"When last did the naysayers actually watch "20 000 Leagues Under The Sea"? Obviously the feel of the attraction and the film are lost on them.

More importantly, when have they read the book by Jules Verne?
It was a fantastic book (which remains one of my favorite books) before it was a fantastic movie after all.

ightenhill

Its an example of how the Imagineers work can give so much atmosphere even in what is a simple small walk through area. It's adding to the theme of the land in a unique way.

Soak up the details and atmosphere, dont think of it as a ride!

[size=85]WDW Florida July 91(way too hot), DL California June 92,DL California Sep 93, DLP France Feb 96, DLP France March 02, DLP France Christmas to NY 03, WDW Christmas Eve to NY 04, WDW Oct 05, DL California Christmas to NY 05, DLP March 06, WDW Nov 06,DLP Paris Christmas to NY 06, WDW April 07 DL California Nov 07, WDW Dec 07, DLP Mar 08, DLP Jul 08, DL Hong Kong Mar 09, WDW Oct 09,  DLP Xmas 09[/size]

davewasbaloo

This threat is quite depressing really. Disney was always about the theming. Bu with people calling LMDN a yawn fest and others being excited about the Six Flags/Thorpe Park style Toy Story Play Land, it shows I too am a relic of Disney's past.

Something like the Nautilus or Adventure Isle is far more inspiring and interesting that meet and greets. Heck, Disney used to be wonderful at offering varied options. Not so much anymore. And the staggered opening and closing of the Nautilus is scary. Disney have been known to do this so there is data to back up that an attraction may be unpopular, therefore a candidate for closure/to rip it out (look at Le Visionarium, Wonders of Life, World of Motion etc.).
since 2001 (many before that)