Entertainment moving back in the right direction at DLP

Started by davewasbaloo, August 12, 2008, 11:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

I din't see a link for this Media Magic piece.

Although still not like the 1st few years or other parks around the globe. It seems like DLP is going in the right direction with more live entertainment. To me growing up in Disneyland, live music is just as important as PotC or IASW.

Now we have the return of a Marching Band, Country Group, Dixieland, African Tam Tams and more.

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/today/2008/08/ ... rchestras/

Now if we could just have the barbershop quartet and rag time pianist back.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

I'm glad you saw this, after all the comments you've made in the past about the resort's streetmosphere these days.

What's most interesting that Nicolas seems to have started in music at the resort in the mid-90s before then somehow moving into managing Moteurs Action during the Jay Rasulo years.

I'm not sure if it's directly related, but then suddenly just as Karl Holz comes over we've got a live music division again and the 15th Anniversary opened to that Main Street band, the marching band, etc. New ideas like the pre-show band in CinéMagique, La Fanfare du Chateau, Gold Diggers, Toon Train.

And the new leaflet itself is brilliant:

So yes, they've done a lot of great work. And I second your request for a barbershop quartet -- and the return of the Disney Studio 1 swing band. I'm surprised he hasn't caught onto doing something ToT/Tip Top Club related actually...

Kristof

The ragtime pianist was out at Casey's Corner last summer actually, but haven't seen him ever since.  :-"

davewasbaloo

Thanks guys, i am glad I am not the only one who notices these things. To me listening to the live music, in theme, really puts Disney over the top.

We saw the Gold Diggers last year, and the TamTams have always been a high point. But with Disneyland in California being the park I grew up in, the place is loaded with live music in almost every land.

And at Epcot, the reason I can happily spend 6 days there is because of the dining and entertainment.

Once you have ridden PotC a few 1000 times, although you still enjoy it, it becomes part of the whole, not the main event. The beauty about disney parks is they are designed to be immersive environments where the shopping, dining and entertainment are supposed to take you to another place and time (Disney drew a lot of inspiration from Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and put it over the top, another place I dearly love).

When the shops and dining menus are homoginized and the entertainment is replaced by non theme specific characters, well frankly I find it as offensive as if they ripped Big Thunder out.

Pete's Dragon

I remember seeing a Barber Shop Quartet in sept. 2004 on Main Street. Although there wasnt a huge crowd stopping to listen, I thought it was brilliant and add soooooooo much atmosphere to the place. Are they a regular thing, or did I just hit it lucky ( only saw them once in 4 days )

Alpop

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"And at Epcot, the reason I can happily spend 6 days there is because of the dining and entertainment.

Once you have ridden PotC a few 1000 times, although you still enjoy it, it becomes part of the whole, not the main event. The beauty about disney parks is they are designed to be immersive environments where the shopping, dining and entertainment are supposed to take you to another place and time (Disney drew a lot of inspiration from Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen and put it over the top, another place I dearly love).

When the shops and dining menus are homoginized and the entertainment is replaced by non theme specific characters, well frankly I find it as offensive as if they ripped Big Thunder out.

I totally agree with you here (recently). When I was a young kid in Epcot I was disapointed by the lack of rides. Now I'm a little older I look forward to just the environment. The theming, the details that Disney add and make the experience better than most UK theme parks.
The live interaction with characters and streetmosphere, it all adds up.

davewasbaloo

I totally agree, I think it is an age thing. when I was a kid, it was all about the rides, and I would sometimes get a little grumpy when we would stop to enjoy the entertainment. But now that I am older and have 33 years of Disney park experience, I love the entertainment. Also, live entertainment seems to be more rare in the real world now compared to what it used to be, so my kids get a kick out of it too.

RnRCj

I completely agree with you, davewasbaloo. DLRP has needed something like this for many years now, something to take it one step closer to the standards of 1992, so I am very happy to see live music returning. :D To be honest I would rather have small additions like this than a big new E-ticket attraction.

Now we just need DLRP to get their maintenance sorted out, refurb a load of attractions, and just generally clean up the place a bit! :P

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "RnRCj"Now we just need DLRP to get their maintenance sorted out, refurb a load of attractions, and just generally clean up the place a bit! :P

I was quite impressed with the return to form in the refurb department last year. Has been run into the ground again?

pussinboots

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "RnRCj"Now we just need DLRP to get their maintenance sorted out, refurb a load of attractions, and just generally clean up the place a bit! :P

I was quite impressed with the return to form in the refurb department last year. Has been run into the ground again?

The Labyrinth and the Treehouse are still rotting away...

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"

The Labyrinth and the Treehouse are still rotting away...

Very true. I shall be conducting one of m quality control walks there in a couple of weeks.

Kristof

A big refurb for the Labyrinth is on its ways (new props are waiting backstage).  
Treehouse is indeed in bad shape, but it did get *a little bit* of attention (replacement of props, cleaning) in April I believe.

Edit: Just got word that the Labyrinth will close in September for the refurb.

davewasbaloo

That is great news.  Although the Labrynth may not be an E ticket, it certainly is a signature attraction unique to our park.  Therefore it should be in tip top condition.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Kristof"A big refurb for the Labyrinth is on its ways (new props are waiting backstage).  
Treehouse is indeed in bad shape, but it did get *a little bit* of attention (replacement of props, cleaning) in April I believe.

Edit: Just got word that the Labyrinth will close in September for the refurb.

That is the best news I've heard all week!

Any work on the Labyrinth is welcome, obviously, but I sincerely hope they will do a little research and restore at least some of the many, many elements that were lost over the years, and that they won't decide to replace half the hedges with wooden fences or similar.

Timbo

I agree completely that these little touches take Disney to a level above other theme parks,and as someone said it is not the kids who will stop and listen to a Barbershop Quartet it gives a generally better atmosphere and adds to the whole experience !! And of course being over 30....40 actually,if I am honest ;I enjoy things like this more ,just sitting down with a drink watching the world go by in Disneyland is just as enjoyable as being thrown around in a coaster !!!!